PDA

View Full Version : Viper trailer bunk length

Riverman
03-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I am going to convert my POS trailer from roller to bunk this weekend. Just wondering if 8 foot 2X6s are long enough for bunks. Or should they be shorter?

Also, any input on where the bunks should be located? As in how far outboard of the boat centreline.

Thanks all, RM

crazy horse
03-31-2005, 11:03 AM
My trailer is setup with xtra bunks on the outside rail. The stock inside bunks are 5 ft. and the ones I added on the outside edge of the trailer are 4ft. Also the two keel rollers don't touch the hull when its completely loaded. ;)

Riverman
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks Dave! It seems that every time I ask a question you have the answer and a good pic to go with it! You must have a lot of pictures as judging by the look of that grass you did not just run out and take that one.

crazy horse
03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Yea, I think that shot was from last fall. That was the closest shot showing the placement of the bunks that I had on my puter. I did uncover my old girl yesterday just to air it out. It made it to 65 degrees but there's still 8" of ice on the lake. :mad:

VIPER1
03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Good post!!!!!!!! I'm wanting to convert my roller to bunk for my Viper also. And do you post pics.....I'd like to get your opinions on my Viper.

Riverman
03-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Viper1, I'm a rookie WRT Vipers, but crazyhorse, boatmender are very knowlegeable. Ask away.

Riverman
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Crazyhorse, are those bunks on your trailer 2X4 or 2X6?

crazy horse
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
I cut all the bunks on the trailer from fir-hemlock. The inside are 4-1/2 and the outside ones are 6". I ripped down some 2X12 cutoffs to make up the bunks. The corners are all beveled and bolted though with elevator bolts.

150aintenuff
04-02-2005, 12:56 AM
just converted an old calkins ( box frame style ) to bunks for sea ray... set the bunks as wide as possible without hitting in the center of hull.. then place a second set of bunks as close to the stringer placement of the hull as poissible.. that will not only support your hull along the stringers as it would if the hull were in the water but having the outboard bunks as far out as possible prevents the hull from tiippiing and rolling off of the center bunks in a corner while being towed and it assists in centering of the trailer to the hull centerline at the ramp. I deal is tandem bunks that are divided by the strakes or sponsons of the hull toallow for centering and full hull support over the entire length of the bunk. if your hull ( not familiar with viper) can handle it 8-10 ft would be a minimum I would use but bunk lingth is dictated more bu the length of equal angle running surface each hull has.. some hulls ( such as the 21' pro line center consol) are a progressive V angle and can only keep contact with 5' of bunks over its hull surface before the angle changes again so we ended up having t use 2 piece bunks 4' in length to get the support the hull needed rather than a 10' full length bunk that we had to take off

crazy horse
04-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Sence were on the subject. Here's my current project, I bought the hoist last year for my girls 30'th birthday. I built the cradle yesterday. The white aluminum between the lumber is scrap track from one of our door systems. It's bolted together and it is VERY stiff. The little pad in the center protects the gearcase. That was a little lesson I learned last fall with my speedmaster. I was lucky it didn't get damaged. I started the engine with the boat to low in the water and it slide on my hoist and was VERY lucky that the skeg hit the wood plank that run across the back of my old hoist and not the steel tube. All I have left to do before I take it to the lake is make the towers to hold up my canopy from my old hoist. O'yea it was 75 degrees and the humidity was 27% yesterday. :D

1BadAction
04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
i think a joke about raceboat russ's trailer bunks should come in here, but I cant figure one out at the moment. :D

http://img146.exs.cx/img146/6352/russtrailor3jw.jpg

crazy horse
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
He'd have to flag them critters in Michigan. :D

150aintenuff
04-08-2005, 01:11 AM
could have used bunks like that today..........