PDA

View Full Version : Teak Question???

beer30
03-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I got a swim platform that I can't keep looking good. I stripped down last year and put a good oil on it. Two months later it looked like chit. When the boat is not in the water, I keep the whole thing covered. Does anybody have some ideas of something that might last a little longer? :) Thanks, Chuck.

pyro
03-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Teak oil doesn't last-- It just doesn't. Sand it down and re-finish it with something durable like Polyurethane. You'll get the same look, but it will last for years...

Fish
03-26-2005, 01:29 PM
pyro is right, it does not last when finished. THere are other finishes like perma teak, but IMHO, it does not look nearly as good as cleaned, brightened, and oiled teak.

Also, some oils are better. The heavier oils like amazon and the west copy of it suck. They have some sort of gum in them that seem to attract dirt and hold it. Tip top teak oil is light and finishes well.

beer30
03-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Will polyurethane soak in or sit on top? Do they make a specific one for this job?Chuck.

Jay R.
03-26-2005, 02:02 PM
they do but i don't know the name, maybe one of these guys do. you'll have to check.
but it won't look like oiled teak. it will be shiny and will be slick when wet.

beer30
03-26-2005, 02:17 PM
I can't have something slick, when it's wet. My wife and little girl use that platform everytime we are out. Chuck

Jay R.
03-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah thats why i posted that, what i have done in the past is to futz with the urethean just as it started to harden and got groves and bumbs in it, not as slick but a little hard on the tootsies!

1BadAction
03-26-2005, 02:24 PM
you could also shake a little fine grit blaster sand on the top when the paint is still wet, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of coating it for looks.

pyro
03-26-2005, 02:35 PM
If you bake the platform in the sun before you finish it, it will thin the finish and soak it in deeper. Leave it in the midday sun as it dries. This will, in effect, give you the wood-grain groove texture in one coat, and it won't be overly slick.

beer30
03-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Your saying to sanded it down, then put a coat on it. Leave it in the sun will help soak in more. Then do I put another coat it, again leave it in sun? Also what brand should I get? Chuck.

pyro
03-26-2005, 03:43 PM
My dad and one of his ski buddies re-finished the platform on his MasterCraft, after many frustrating attempts at teak-oiling it. I think they used polyurethane. I'll ask him about it tomorrow, and I'll ask him how many coats. I think it was just one.

His lakefront house faces South, so the platform gets a lot of sun, even with the boat lift cranked up. It has held up for a couple years now after re-finishing it.

beer30
03-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks, have a good Easter. :) Chuck.

ssent
03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I use lemon oil, same kind I use on my bose 901's. It's a furniture polish made for wood. It doesn't hold the dirt like teak oil does. About every 3 weeks it needs reapplied, seems to last just a little longer than teak oil. After initial use the teak is definitely easier to clean up between applications. Letting it soak in the sun when appling helps deep penetration. Polyurethane is a one step solution that tends to yellow after a couple years in the sun. The rich look of oiled teak beats out yellowed polyurethane anyday. Just my $.02

Liqui-Fly
03-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Silkens deck products work pretty good but their colors suck. The best I've found is West System epoxy with Epiphanes varnish over the top. Get as much oil out of the teak as you can with acetone...put a couple of coats of West System down and a couple of coats of varnish. Teak is one of those things that like a yearly scuff and new coat of varnish. Urethanes are too hard and will crack peel and blister.