PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what prop is what.

Jeff "Yammer"
05-15-2001, 09:22 PM
I need to know if there are any serial numbers special
to a chopper 2 or lightening et. A marina I went just
got in to ss props with a bass boat trade-in.
Going reel cheap!!!! Both are mint. Very low rake.....
....REALY LOW RAKE both merc p/numbers.

Thanks. Jeff.

Dewey
05-16-2001, 05:53 PM
Jeff,
You could contact Mercury High Performance and speak with one of the guys there. They helped me out a couple of years ago with a similar situation. I can't remember the guys name but he was really good people.

Bill

Jeff "Yammer"
05-16-2001, 06:23 PM
Dewey ,
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to my engine builder who ran the part number. It came up to be a Chopper.I seems to have been modified to Lightening ET specs.

Thanks for the reply!
JEFF.

Dewey
05-16-2001, 07:31 PM
Jeff,

I had Mecury do that for me and the prop worked really good. It is my understanding that is how they did all of them when the ET first came out. Now it has its own casting. I suppose its save time and material.

Bill

Firestarter
05-18-2001, 03:21 PM
Jeff,

My first lightning ET's had chopper part number. This is the likely what it is. It is very expensive to make that change. I know that harold stewart did make a few.
Another thing you might want to consider it that I has been my experiance that the Yamaha is cast with much better aluminum than the mercs, and that an add on torque tab in my eyes is ok. (could be wrong, but I know of a STV / Hydrotec Yamaha that runs 109 with no failures. STV's are hard on skegs and this boat has over 300 hrs on the case.)

Good Luck, and you will love Teds work----his stuff really works.