PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a trans???

Jim W
03-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello, I bought a 1971 Hallet flatty with a 396 BBC. I have a 427 BBC blower motor that will at some point end up in the boat. The engine should be just under 800 HP.
I have not picked the boat up yet but would like to put in a trans so I can have reverse.
How hard is it to do and where can I get parts? I am thinking a powerglide wont take the torque but they are nice and light. Speaking of torque, do the transmissions in boats use a torque conveter or is the converter eliminated?

Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks, Jim

Rickracer
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure about how to get them in a boat though. :cool:

Riverman
03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I remember reading about that a long time ago in Hot Boat magazine. Seems that the converter was eliminated but they were using a turbo 400 with all three gears. The old magazines were full of v-drive stuff.

150aintenuff
04-01-2005, 11:55 PM
the prop acts as the converter due to slipage at the water.. but good luck getting the mounting right...

dvracer
06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I started a project just like yours several years ago. There is a plate that goes on in place of the converter. And you must upgrade the input shaft or you will break a stardard one.

I purchased the parts from Art Carr - they are expensive - about $450 as I remember (I have a receipt somewhere) and would be willing to sell them to you cheap as I never did the project. The are still brand new in the boxes.

But all you need is a small trans cooler, a shifter and you are 'ready to run' .... . And it makes a world of difference in a V-Drive that you are using for plesure - especailly in a no wake zone.

Use a Turo 400 - not a powerglide as the gearing is not suited for the application. You will rarely use first geat in the Turbo 400 except for putting in on the trailor.

Dave
Troy, MI

JerseyClown
09-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi all, Hell of a first post, but I had a question regarding this. How would a V drive react with a Turbo 400 trans an a really big prop? This way the motor could still spin the big prop with first gear to keep the accelleration and when the prop unloads, it could shift to really get the speed up. Just an idea...