PDA

View Full Version : HEY RICK RACER!

Instigator
05-15-2001, 05:44 PM
Any more news on the V-4 Vector??? Ever figure out gear ratio for that motor???
If your turing that thing 7K you have a way stouht V-4 cross flow!! And need more wheel!
Came real close to doing a V-4! Would be very good weight balance for that boat. I would think the old merc in-line Choppers would run good on your rig??
Hows it handle w/o the hook???
I amy have missed your posts on the subject but I looked.
Also, I will be calling you on piston pricing as soon as I get caught up a little more.
Keep me posted.
Instigator

Rickracer
05-15-2001, 06:29 PM
Apparently those damn Wisecos didn't like 7 grand too much. I stuck one Sunday at the HBH. I had a problem Saturday with fuel volume (probably had some leanouts), fixed that Sat evening and Sunday morning. Then, with BTB and her daughter riding along, turning about 7000 to 7200, not even WOT, the powerhead seized. I haven't even looked at it yet. Gonna finish the 235 first. Bill G says it's a 1.92 to 1 ratio, which works out to 80+ mph with this 24 Raker if ya figure an extra inch of pitch for the cup. It was rough gettin out of the hole with 3 people on board, but I didn't seem to lose any top end. I definitely need more prop pitch for top end. I have a 23 SRX (maybe have it worked, and pitched up)I want to try on it AFTER I do a LWP(and fix the powerhead). I can jack it plumb out of water pressure if I'm not careful. It likes to porpoise a fair bit with weight in it at lower speeds, but up on the pad at 60+, that's all gone and it's a Sunday drive. I had about 11 hours on this little turd, and I'm runnin Pennzoil full syn @40to 1 now too, so other than the possible leanout Saturday, it had no excuse. Turned out to be a filter that was too restrictive between the Holley pump and the tank. Won't make that mistake again. If I can get my hands on a tall enough prop, I may have ta try the ole 235 on this thing after it's broke in.

Instigator
05-16-2001, 07:19 AM
You're right, with the correct gear ratio that puts you at 80 to low 80's w/a 135 (???) cross flow!! Thats faster than my 150 black bastard on my Vector!!
The previous owner of my boat claims similar speeds with a sportmaster and more height, but thats maxed out!!
I'm blown away, thats awesome!!
I would guess your motor could turn that rpm, but do you want to??? I'd want to go up 3 or 4" of pitch??
I can't remember what you told me you were doing the 235 for??? I vote for the Vector!!!
I'm really second guessing myself on doing the looper instead of a flow. That would be the ultimate insult, getting whooped by an OMC is bad enough, but by an "ancient" cross flow??? HEH, HEH, HEH!
Good Job Rick!

Rickracer
05-16-2001, 07:25 AM
If I had my druthers, I'd be doing a looper too. I've just had this 135 forever, and it just keeps coming back, like a bad penny. The 235 is for the ???80 mph??? family CVX20. I may have to try it out on the Vector though. I do have a 2.0 Merc slated for one Vector, but that was actually for the other Vector. May have to look into a V-6 looper for one of them. :-)

Instigator
05-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Had one of those with a flow on it. About 78 MPH's with a stock gear case. That design is as timeless as the Streams are!
But a 2.0 merc for the Vector?????? Knew there was something screwey about you!! :) :) :)

Rickracer
05-16-2001, 07:39 AM
I figure if I can do 80 with a Xflow 135, I should be able to break 100 with an almighty Merc <G>. I have a '78 175 that's gonna get some workin, and I hope to be able to make 215+ hp out of it. If nuttin else, it should be a good spare. I seem to be kinda hard on motors, ya know?

Instigator
05-16-2001, 08:13 AM
215 HP's will probably get you close to a 100 MPH's but could you atleast paint the motor white????

Rickracer
05-16-2001, 11:07 AM
How 'bout if I break 100 with the Merc, then obliterate it with the OMC? :-)

Instigator
05-16-2001, 08:23 PM
You have two Vectors???
One straight, one with hook???

Rickracer
05-17-2001, 07:20 AM
I plan to blueprint the bottom of the other Vector before I put it in the water though. I plan to flatpad that one too, but I'm kinda considering doing a very small hook, or lip, at the transom, like the Allison. If that doesn't work out, it won't be any problem to sand off. I also plan to talk with Ron Baker Sr. about this before I get started to get his input on the subject, and would welcome any other intelligent input as well. I like some of Raceman's thoughts on this, and am definitely using some of his ideas in deciding just how to proceed. Another variable is going to be the intended use of this hull. If I am gonna drag race it, the bottom will be different than if it's gonna be a top end lake ride. More than likely it's just gonna be a lake ride, but ya never know.

05-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Yount to?
Now why would you want to do anything like that. You know how those A boats are. Handle terrible in rough water. Can't win races. Look terrible. 180's when your not looking. Why Rick, why?
I couldn't resist,
Wicky