PDA

View Full Version : I have gone to the dark side

Jim W
03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Well, after asking about a picklefork or shovel nose hydro I pulled the trigger on a 18' 1971 Hallett flatty.
The boat now has a casselle V-drive with a fresh 396 BBC with a Weiand tunnel ram and 2 650 Holleys, runs on pump gas. I am told the boat runs a solid 65 and can push 70 MPH. With the engine the way it is something like 400 HP? I am thinking of putting a B&M 420 mega charger (which I already have) on top. Keeping everything internal just adding boost. If I get the 396 up to lets say 600 HP will it be a quick 100 MPH boat??
So what I want to know is---- how many HP does it take to be able to eaisly run 90--- 100--- 110???
I am used to blown drag cars and BBC DIRT cars with carbed 468's but am new to the boat thang.
Thanks in advance, Jim

largecar91
03-19-2005, 09:52 AM
It depends on the setup(prop shaft angle, v-drive gears, weight placement and horsepower). I used to have an old Rayson Craft flat and I had around 650+ hp. It would run just over 100. My suggestion to you would be to contact Jim Wilkes at Wilkes Marine in Santa Ana, California. He knows v-drives!!

chicken duster
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
does this boat have the adjustable cavitation plates from inside the boat? if it does, your in a whole different world now. on a hydro you just step on the gas and go, driving a flatty you control the attitude of the boat with the pedals, if the boat does not have the pedals, I wouldnt put any more horsepower in that boat I have a 40Olb Kevlar,Blown Cole tr2 you could not drive this boat without the pedals. anyway if it has pedals have fun learning to drive it ( whole new experience ) if you want to know more about those flattys let me know Jim

Jim W
03-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Chicken Duster, yes, the boat has 1 down pedal. The boat is still in Las Vegas and I go to pick it up April 3rd. I am just trying to get a feel for what kind of HP I will need to get to 90-100. I think what I will do is leave the 396 in and get used to driving the boat. Then put in my blower motor which is just short of 800 HP. I can alwys detune and work my way up.

How hard is it to put a transmission into a v-drive. The lake I am on is crowded and reverse would be real nice in lots of situations. I would think a old powerglide would do it and be light weight. Do they run a torque converter or direct?? Like the old clutch flights and clutch turbos?

150aintenuff
04-01-2005, 11:52 PM
dont think you would have the room for a powerglide to bolt in to the boat much less getting the mounts for it... its a boat.. get a boat trans.. a velvet drive or other Vdrive trans...

Jim W
04-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Npartin-----

negative, very negative

tisk tisk LOL

Jim

150aintenuff
04-04-2005, 01:38 AM
I didnt say it couldnt be done... just that there may not be room for it... and just how well does automotive stuff hold up to marine environments anyway :p

I personally dont care if you put a richmond 6 speed in the thing... but really how much benifit other than reverse would you gain on top end if you had a shifting boat any way... still limmited by the pitch of prop the engine can turn in direct drive anyway... + you are turning extra mass and weight to boot... heres my opinion... out of hole like a rocket... slower than current setup on top due to HP loss and extra weight added to boat....

Unchained
04-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Once you get that flatbottom out for a normal busy weekend of boating you'll have all the negatives you can handle. :D

superdave013
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd keep the traans out of it. It is what it is. An early AM smooth water rocket. Do a few blasts and put it up for the day. Part of the game of owning a flatbottom in from the late 80's to present day. Don't beat the snot out of yourself and the boat running it in the afternoon chop.