PDA

View Full Version : wax over new paint?

trubornot
03-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Just painted the bottom of my 1978 baja bowrider and was wondering if I should wax it right away now that I have it flipped over?
What is the best way to increase top speed... Smooth or rough bottom?

Six Four
03-16-2005, 07:34 AM
I alway wait about two weeks of good hot temps before I wax my paint.. I would say ther smoother the faster, less drag. what all steps did you use to paint the boat and what brand paint??? I'm painting my botom in about 1hr.

imq707s
03-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I've always heard (and it's what I have done to my boat) is that you want to rough the last few feet of the pad up with some 400grit paper. This is supposed to break the water tension and make the boat faster. With the pad nice and slick, the water tends to "cling" to it more (slows the boat down) than a pad than has been roughed up a bit.

Six Four
03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I've always heard (and it's what I have done to my boat) is that you want to rough the last few feet of the pad up with some 400grit paper. This is supposed to break the water tension and make the boat faster. With the pad nice and slick, the water tends to "cling" to it more (slows the boat down) than a pad than has been roughed up a bit.

thats intresting, Do you know of anyone else that has tried that? I hate to scratch up my new paint,lol

imq707s
03-16-2005, 11:03 PM
I've read several posts on here about it. Put a post on there about sanding your pad....you'll get all kinds of responces.

Reese
03-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I have no idea where these stories get started...I know there are lots of folks who believe that sanding their bottoms with 320, 400 or whatever will increase speeds.....total BS.

If your pad is smooth and flat nothing else will help...enjoy your hard work...and don't scratch it up.