PDA

View Full Version : Hydro hulls-- pickle/shovel differances??

Jim W
03-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Hello, I am about to buy either a pickle fork or a shovel nose hodro either way with v-drives. Can someone tell me the pros and cons to each? The boat will be used on a lake for high speed pleasure. I am looking at boats that do around 90-100 mph. We get a lot of boat chop on the weekends but during the week its not all that bad. Just wondering about how they handle in general.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Unchained
03-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I know a guy here in Mi. who bought a Hydro a couple years ago and has raced it in the drags.
He can probably give you some insight on them.
Call Jim @ 248 797 3665

It looks to me to be a race only thing. He said when it gets going fast theres almost no steering.

chicken duster
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
get your self a ski hydro, (pickelfork) they have inboard steering great for pleasure, the old shovel nose had a problem with stuffing the bow in rough water

crazy horse
03-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Seems like the old shovel nose hydros would really catch the air also. Most I've seen are old race boats and not real user friendly.

Jim W
03-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the replys!
What I am kind of hearing is that the hydros wont turn at speed. They are kind of a point and squirt deal. I now think I should be looking at a used flat bottom. Am I correct that the hydros dont turn well?

Thanks guys, Jim

Unchained
03-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replys!
What I am kind of hearing is that the hydros wont turn at speed. They are kind of a point and squirt deal. I now think I should be looking at a used flat bottom. Am I correct that the hydros dont turn well?
Thanks guys, Jim

I'm not a Vdrive enthusiast but of all the ones I've seen and rode in if you could find a tunnel hull Cougar those are by far the best.
I drove a 21' Cougar with a blown big block and the performance and handling were excellent. Still had the no reverse/start in gear problem though.

There's a guy in Ok. who had a 19' Cougar Vdrive for sale.
"Infomaniac" on the www.hotboat.com forums

chicken duster
03-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I have had several hydros, if you buy one with inboard steering, they steer great. if you get a drag hydro, with outboard steering they are designed to blow the tail up and run on three tips off the sponsons they do not steer well when the tail is blown .get a nice ski hydro, with inboard steering you will like it much more than a flatty ,a hydro is a much more user friendly boat to drive leave the old shovel nose hydros alone, have fun Jim

Jim W
03-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks Chicken Duster, Can a outboard steering boat be converted to inboard??? I have a BBC thats been sitting in my office for a few years. I built it going by B&M's mega blower build up. It should be just under 800 HP. I think I will end up around 100 MPH? So I want to get the right boat to do this.

Thanks again, Jim

chicken duster
03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Ski Hydros will run 100+ with a good big block. the ski hydros and drag hydros are basically the same hull, with the exception of the ski hydro has a shorter prop shaft, because the steering rudder comes through the bottom of the boat just like a flatbottom. the drag hydro has outboard steering which means you carry a long rudder with you, when you get to the lake you have to put the rudder on the boat. get yourself a ski hydro, throw your blower motor in it and go have some fun. as for your question about steering, all hydros steer great. the only time they dont, is when you are on the throttle and the boat is up on the sponsons. you wouldnt want to try and turn anyway at 100+ Jim