PDA

View Full Version : 105+ Yamaha/V-king

Jeff "Yammer"
04-16-2001, 07:37 PM
91' V-King ;grey gelcoat w/black and red.
-complete Gaffrig guages w/red bez -Bobs f/throttle.
New rigging to be done in the next month; -Allison red gelcoat front buckets.
-Seatar Pro steering w/trim.
-18 gal fuel cell w/holley blue pump.
-re-rig on 2.6 Yamaha ;fully ported
polished ,carbed ,lightened ,balenced
increased comp. ratio ,from done heads
ETC.......ETC.!!!!
****Just need a gearcase w/cone and built up
skeg. Dont really want to go with a Bob's
because of fear the skeg will crack after
welding of T/Tab. Will probably go with a
Taylor Marine cone and build up the skeg
with JB-Weld to contuer in an edge.

All opinions and suggestions welcome.
Hope to get 105+mph. Best ## with stock
motor last year were 93 mph at 7100rpm
with 29" Yamaha Drag. Propshaft 1/8" above
the pad w/CMC man. jack.

Motor was 2.6L 200hp
Now 2.6L Horizontal intake w/275-300hp
**Will confirm from the propshaft Dyno reports
soon!!!!!

Jeff"Yammer"Williamson.

A.K.A "MERC-KILLER".

Capt.Insane-o
04-17-2001, 10:35 AM
V-king, 2.5 drag, 108 with sissy passenger, let off at 8800. Lightwight flyhweel, svs and a couple other goodies. No doubt in my mind it will run well into the one teens. 26 chopper. Winter came the next day and it has'nt touched the water since. If I got enough space in the trailer it'll be at firewater, but I am all ready bringing like 4 boats! Never been passed by an omc yamahaha suziuki or the like.....a 35 chrysler had to tow me in when my prop loosend up on the shaft and I did'nt feel like leaning over the back of the boat in late october, but he gave me a couple free beers so anyway.....

Mark C.
04-18-2001, 06:32 PM
Jeff -

I'll ignore that "Merc-Killer" comment for now ;o} but I think you need to put down 105+++ with that motor if the HP comes out where you expect. I'm thinking 110+.

Just make sure your gearcase has heavy duty internals to handle the extra horses, or it won't be your powerhead that goes "bammy" this time. You don't want your gearcase to blow apart like mine did at Chandos last year.

- Mark C.

Instigator
04-19-2001, 09:03 AM
YOU KEEP PISSING OFF THOSE merc GUYS (thats just plain rude!), AINT YOU SKEERED?
Instigator

BarryB
04-19-2001, 09:05 AM
I had a mod Yamie and tried everything short of Bob Kottman. No matter what you did as I did you will never see 100 mph. 100 kph yes. Kottman built the motor for the only Yamaha that has ever won a production mod title [the red boat belonged to a friend of mine]and he said it was so modified it only looked like a Yamaha on the outside. He did every merc trick and said he basically tried to make everything on the motor a copy of what a merc 2.5 would be. This cost more money than a brand new 2.5 drag would cost and then just got over the 100 mph mark. I even had my Yamie on a much faster lighter Mirage hull and I got 95mph. Wayne Taylor does make a midsection that will let you put a merc lower unit such as a sportmaster or cle on the Yamaha motor. You will need his efi system too if you want to hit 100 mph and he will tell you that also. I traded out my Yamaha for a 2.5 reluctantly and the difference was so dramatic it is hard to describe.
Been there done that
Barry

Mark C.
04-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Well, I won't get into the discussion on whether a Yammie can get there or not. All I'm saying is that a Viking or Vector with a high performance motor at 280-300 HP will run at 110 MPH or above. Too many real-life cases to dispute that.

Everyone knows that I feel that Merc is the best way to get it done, but some of these young bucks need to learn for themselves! Now, Instigator...as a new Hydrostream owner I thought you might see the light, but it looks like you're a long-term project :o)

Ray Neudecker
04-19-2001, 05:52 PM
Barry b,you are just showing your ignorance.yamahas have won many mod engine classes over the years as well as dominating the carb classes and stock classes. some drag orginazations actuall banned the 225, they were so dominate.

Instigator
04-20-2001, 06:24 PM
Was going to say something like that, but knew I'd be told I was full of S*&^, and don't know what I'm talking about! Think I've heard that before, no wait, I was right that time! Course, Stoker coulda been lying too! Seems to me they had some runners in Mod VP for a while too did'nt they??? Hummmmh?? Couple of F-1 boats too I think?? Not even with the mercs but close, and not sure how the rules apply to the Yammi's Vs mercs?? In other words, are they allowed to be competitive with the black motors??? Thinkin one of their F-1 motor's might push a Stream over a buck five???? Instigator

Instigator
04-20-2001, 06:51 PM
I'm closer to an old fart than I am a young buck, but my mom still tells me I'm a long term project! As far as the merc being the best choice to go fast, it's definately the easiest,cheapest, and most plentifull, most experienced people around to help!! Could get a merc too do what I want to do, a hell of a lot easier than what I'm planning on! But stop and think, if no-one decided to start grinding on mercs eons ago, you guys would'nt have what you do today. In all seriousness, I have nothing against em, I just want to do something different! Been trying REAL HARD to keep my mouth shut (it's a bitch!) so I don't start another war! The friendly bantering back and forth is all in good fun and I enjoy that! But when some of the merc guys refuse to give credit to some of the people that have had the stones to "swim up stream", that pisses me off, and renews my drive to make a FIIIIIIISSHHHHIN MOHHHTAR RUN!! I do get a little tired off all the "experts" telling me how big of a mistake I'm making! Just so some of you guys know, I have talked to almost every respected OMC tuner in the country about my project, and a lot of what they have told me, I have promised not to tell, but lets just say if someone wanted to spend the money and the time to build a Killer JohnRude, it can be done. It already has. I'm already shiffting my focus towards a tunnel boat if all goes well. If I get close to what they are suggesting, I think I'm going to run out of boat! My opinion, still legal in this country?? Instigator P.S. So you know, I do appreciate the time and effort that people like you and the Virus dedicate to sites like these. If it was'nt for you guys, I'd just be another Go Fast Outboard Geek in a town where no one gave a **** and every one drove I/O bowriders! Actually figured Virus would get sick of my crap and cancel the OffShore story!

XBuddawg
04-20-2001, 08:04 PM
Don't ya just get tired of all da mercrap?

I ain't against what they run, so why are they against what we run?

Anyway, I have heard it all as you have. And then, when I outrun someone with there Merc power, they have ALL the excuses in the world! Maybe they had a bad day, maybe I had a good day. Who the hell cares? They STILL got their ass outrun!

My 2¢

Later,
Buddy

Jeff "Yammer"
04-20-2001, 08:42 PM
Hey Guys ,

Thanks for saying what I was going to say
If any other eng, man. put as much R&D into
performance engines as Mercury they to would be
able to compete for that market ,but as all of
you can see most of the un-educated, single-minded
perf. boaters out there are brain washed.
Now on level ground average production models
200-150 all manufact. are pretty much even.
"Of course a 280hp 2.5 is going to beat an
everyday prod. model of any manufact."
Wow if I spent that much money on one of those
black sh*% motors I would feel like a real man
if I could pass joe-blows 200hp Ski Boat.

Most of you guys don't seem to be able to use your
heads for more than 3 seconds at a time.

NO EFFENCE. Jeff Williamson.

Mark C.
04-21-2001, 10:12 AM
Whoa...let's not let this get out of hand. I thought this was friendly jesting but some of the comments are starting to get a little serious.

Instigator: I know you're not a young buck - that's why I called you a "long-term" project, meaning you haven't been convinced by now and so it will take awhile :):):):):). As for building your motor and doing what you're doing, believe me I have the utmost respect for you and say "go, man, go"! If someday we meet on the water and you blow me away, more power to you and I'll slap you on the back and congratulate you with absolutely no hard feelings. Again, I think it's great what you're doing no matter what brand of engine it's being done on!

XBuddawg: Instigator said, "As far as the merc being the best choice to go fast, it's definately the easiest,cheapest, and most plentifull, most experienced people around to help!!" That was my whole point, nothing more. It doesn't mean we're against what you run.

Jeff: "...most of the un-educated, single-minded perf. boaters out there are brain washed." Wow, do you really mean that? I stick to my Merc perference, but I try to be open-minded and I can't agree with your comments. I don't feel that the average production 150-200 models are on even ground. ON AVERAGE, OMC's have in the past been heavier, torquier, and lower RPMs whereas the Mercs are lighter and higher RPM'd. Translation: each is better for certain applications on certain boats. And as for Mercury putting more money into R & D...well, so what? The fact is that they have, the product is out there, and that's why most people run them on their high performance boats.

That's all I'm going to post on the subject.

- Mark C.

XBuddawg
04-21-2001, 08:32 PM
I wasn't referrin' to ya personally. Didn't mean to if'n I did. It was just a general statement, as there are quite a lot out there that feel, "If it ain't Merc, it ain't ****!" I am used to it, and know when they are serious, and when not.

Later,
Buddy

voyag1
04-24-2001, 06:29 PM
Hope everyone had a good winter.
I have to agree, in general, that if you want the absolute
maximum performance a Mercury performance division engine is
the quickest way there, if you have the bucks.
I applaud anyone,however, that tries to make a Yamaha or
any other brand run as good or faster than a performance Mercury.
With due respect it would be pretty boring if we only saw black motors out there.
How would you like Nascar if you only saw Chev Monte Carlos
running.
I have to disagree somewhat, again with due respect, with Mark. In my opinion, on most boats a current stock 150 or 200 OMC, Mercury or Yamaha will run about the same speed.
On some lighter boats handling with the heavier motors may
not be as good as with the lighter ones.
I saw Jeff's V-King at Chandos last year and it is a really
beautifully prepared set up.
It wouldn't be a surprise to me if Jeff breaks the 100mph mark.
Too bad Chandos is cancelled this year. Maybe next year if
Mark can use his political skills well.
Hope it is a good spring and summer for everyone.

Art A
Voyager V, 200 Yamaha VMax

Firestarter
04-25-2001, 09:47 AM
I applaud anyone who stays away from Merc. They are pricing them selves out of the market. And their quality is getting poorer and poorer as time moves. They have managed to piss of and loose just about every major supplier that has ever dealt with them ( new rods----ya had to because you lost your supplier, weisco pistons, ya, because ART ,and Moly won't build them for you any more. )Anyway, Bombardier is the greatest thing for this industry. And their are rhumors of them getting into racing---in a big way. I would have no problem with a white motor hainging off my transom.
And Jeff, I sold one of my STV euros to a fellow on Georgian Bay and it runs 109mph with a Jim Ironside/Hydro Tec Yamahammer. Great Motor, I had one to. At least the pistons won't fall out of it.
Good luck.

RT

Instigator
05-02-2001, 08:16 AM
Finally got a motor and am getting ready to start the re-rig of the hull. Scored some killer looper parts and am ready to start spinning wrenches! Also just heard about another OMC powered Vector that should easily eclipse the century mark this summer.
Get your motor back yet???
Keep me posted.
Gary

Jeff "Yammer"
05-03-2001, 08:11 PM
Hey Gary,

Rings finally came in last Friday ,motor is together
and just waiting for new linkage set up to come in.
DARTH-VADER is about to meet there match .
Most likely wont be on the water for 2 weeks though
have to make a new seat mount for Allison buckets and
mount my 18 gal. fuel cell/pump. Will run with g/case
I have for now untill my new one is decided on.

Hows your Vector goinnnnnnnnn.
I read you've got your motor now. "Get that thing
together. You know its not just the Black-Pack I
want to sink" HEEE ......HEEEE.

Anyway I'll give you a call soon and see how your
doinnn.!!!

All the best !
Jeff.

Instigator
05-04-2001, 08:00 AM
AIN'T AFRAID OF NO STINKIN JAP MOTOR!

Jeff "Yammer"
05-04-2001, 04:01 PM
OH I'LL PACK A LUNCH ALLRIGHT , ONE BIG ENOUGH FOR TWO.
I KNOW WE WILL HAVE TIME TO EAT IT TOGETHER AS WE LOOK FOR
A TOW ROPE TO GET YOUR VECTOR BACK TO THE TRAILER.

"ANYWAY ENOUGH OF THIS I GUESS WE NEED TO STICK
TOGETHER IF WE WILL UNITE TO DEFEAT THE DARK-SIDE"

Talk to ya soon.
Jeff.

espen
05-09-2001, 06:24 PM
Hi!
I have been porting Yammi 225 after Yamaha factory suggestions for offshore racing,the ported Yamaha with offset cumbustion cambers where faster than the 2.4efis and MUCH more reliable exept the lower units. When the 2.5efi
came it was more difficoult.....we even rigged a 3 engine cat with the centre lower unit a slick 1to 1 circuit racing thing....made by Yamaha...when the housing break in to the Japanese engineers whas showed a merc unit with 2 "drive shafts" they went aha! My friend went to japan to persvade the Yammi people to go racing ,difficoult ...we wanted a loverunit with nose cone...tierd of the putty exercise on the bobs cone.Ansvere was they could make one for 4000 usd....the non support thing was because they could not do anything because the politics of the company that was no watermotorsport involment.He worked with the yammi people with the long rods and higher compression of the later Hi-perf engines made by Yamaha .Hi did give up at last and put Merc engines on a prototype cat that was a winner,not much later he died in a roll with Merc engines .
Espen

Markus
05-14-2001, 04:30 AM
Are there stronger aftermarket gearcase components for Yamaha? Who sells them? Hydrotec? Wayne Taylor?

84exciter
05-14-2001, 03:54 PM
hey instigator,
i seem to recall omc's second effort doing a damn good job on "them guys"in the 80's
84 exciter/2.6gt johnny

espen
05-14-2001, 05:19 PM
To Jeff!
The Jap engineers did send us some special piston rings
that could handle wider exhaust ports ,dont know where you
could get some....

espen
05-14-2001, 05:33 PM
to Markus:
newer heard of stronger internals....the problem was not the gears or bearings, the housing would crack in 2 before the internals went.The driveshafts was turned down to a less
dia!!! this was to create more flex and less peak forces.
we had to go down to less dia prop to make the lowerunit survive, the torque is lowered subtantial when taking some dia of the prop.This was on offshore cats and are maybe more beaten than on a lake.
The worst problem was alu bearing carrier rubbing against alu housing,6 races and we had to change the carrier and housing ,but the internals could be saved if we did not wait to long.
The thing to do is maybe to lubricate the carrier with mounting a grease nipple and give it some before each day out.
Espen

Sleekster
05-14-2001, 09:02 PM
When you get a chance, post your ride. You'll be amazed at the OMC support around here. Which 2.6 you got?

84exciter
05-15-2001, 03:41 PM
sleekster,
it's nice to know that everyone has'nt bought the propaganda from merc.i've got an 1985 2.6GT johnson,land and sea 255x heads,boyesen reeds,l&s cone,hydro jack & steering on a custon edition '84 checkmate exciter.

Instigator
05-15-2001, 05:34 PM
Exciter the 17'??
Otta run good!

84exciter
05-15-2001, 08:43 PM
the vector got sold 2 yrs after i bought the checkmate,i still regret it.hind site is 20/20
drew

Sleekster
05-16-2001, 05:51 AM
what r's r u r-ing? W/ what prop? On my V-King I spun a 28 Raker w/ the 235 at about 5700-5900. Hard out of the hole and slow on acceleration. The 26 Laser II was the best I had tried. 5900-6050 all day.

I've heard here that the 2.6's don't like the 6000-6100 range b/c of a harmonic, either my tach was off or mine was tone deaf, b/c it never came apart when I hovered at 6000 for speed runs.

Instigator will need to experiment w/ The Project. When I added the Looper, completely different animal, 28 Raker pegged the limiter at 6700 w/ relative ease.

How about a complete post in the Rids and Setup's section? Just curious.

84exciter
05-16-2001, 04:28 PM
send me your mail add. and i'll send you some pics!
i was runnin' a 28 merc chopper@6700,6800 shaft even with the pad.really crappy out-o-the-hole then just hang on.lol
drew