PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed

Ron V
05-15-2001, 11:48 AM
For those of you who are religious, we need your prayers--for those of you who are not--we need your support too...

First of all, those who kept my neighor's son in your thoughts and prayers, it was much appreciated. The kid is up and about and walking outside even though he has been diagnosed with juvenile rhumatoid arthritis and didn't walk for a couple of weeks. I am sure your support helped.

Now, the new news--My great uncle in Phoenix has suffered a stroke and it is not good. His mind is okay, he knows what is going on, but is in a wheelchair and is not talking well at all. My dad spoke with him on the phone yesterday and said he was starting to cry on the phone because he is so frustrated with not being able to talk correctly and not being able to walk yet. It really upset my father too (talking to him in that condition), and he takes most things in stride. He got almost no work done yesterday because he was so upset by it. The doctors are estimating 4 weeks of therapy, but he wasted a couple of days because he refused to go to the hospital at first (stubborn German like me) so we don't know how well the outcome will be. The worst part about the whole situation is they had sold their house and were packing to move back to Chicago to a great retirement home that my dad's friend manages. All of the furniture was gone and my great aunt was sleeping on the floor while he was in the hospital, so the family had no choice but for her daughter to fly to Phoenix, drive her to Chicago in the car, and move her into the retirement home here, since all of her stuff had already shipped here. So....they are thousands of miles apart, while he is in the hospital in Phoenix for the next several weeks (he cannot fly right now) and she sits alone in the retirement home. This particular great uncle has been one of the role models of the family and is always in high spirits. He has always been there to help in the time of need and always has some words of wisdom and humor to share. He was an Air Force pilot during WWII (never saw action but probably remembers how to fly a Hellcat like it was yesterday), was in sales for Hills Bros. Coffee for years, and I think the combination of that experience made him the strong person he is. He has never acted his age and has not aged in the 20 years that my memory goes back. To have him in this condition is really bothersome, even though it is somewhat expected at that age. When they visited our house a few weeks ago during their trip here to sign the lease at the retirement home, he was 79 going on 50. Had just driven from Phoenix to Chicago in 3 days. I'm 24 and I couldn't do that! Every time he sees my Rapid Craft he grins and says "That's a really nice canoe ya got there!" As they were pulling away 4 weeks ago I was in the driveway and told him "See you back here soon, and take it easy." He yelled back out the car window "At this age I'm taking it any way I can get it!" and rocketed up the street in his Buick. True to his character. So to see things change so drastically is really bad.

I know he is strong enough to pull through this and face what lies ahead, but it is very hard emotionally for him, his wife, and our entire family to have had this happen, especially at this time. I would appreciate any prayers and thoughts. Thanks again.

KaptainKirk
05-15-2001, 11:54 AM
From my family to yours,we wish him well and he will be in our prayers!

Barney
05-15-2001, 12:46 PM
You do have our support. I wanted to email you but it seems your not available at this time.

I live only a couple hours out of Phoenix and do have time and resources available, is there anything we can do to help?

National Airlines , Vegas based, flies to Midway, I use them often and have free travel vouchers. They way I see it, if I can help someone I choose to associate with at little or no cost, but with just some effort, it is my obligation. It would be very simple to fly you from Chcago to Vegas, we'll run you over to Phoenix. Very worst case you can stay in Havasu and comute to Phoenix for a few days.
My guess is there is available couches and such right in Phoenix that would allow you to come see your uncle now, spend as much time with him as possible with very little or no expense. Sounds like you both could use that. Opportunity for a boat ride would be there too.

We are out the door to Havasu so I will not be able to respond via the internet for a week or so. There are several members with my cell phone including AZH, Wicky.

It is a mere 2 hour drive from Havasu to Vegas.

It would be my pleasure to help and no trouble at all.

Sorry for having to edit here, but we are out the door!

[Edited by Barney on 05-15-2001 at 01:29 PM]

Rickracer
05-15-2001, 12:54 PM
I hope he gets up and about soon.

Balzy
05-15-2001, 01:45 PM
It sounds like your great uncle is a hell of a guy. He sounds like he has a state of mind that will overcome his current condition. Gotta love old guys like that. Prayers are on the way to him and your family.

AnthonySS
05-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Hey RON,

You can always count on prayers from our family, Thnaks for note on your uncle!

Sincerely,

AnthonySS

Scream And Fly
05-15-2001, 04:44 PM
V4Freak,

From everyone here at Scream And Fly, our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to your uncle and family. If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. Remember, we're all family here, and it's times like these that we really need eachother.

Sincerely,

Greg

Ms. Hydro
05-15-2001, 04:46 PM
When you are facing a difficult situation, let your needs be known to God through prayer. His Word is your greatest source of encouragement. He has given us a powerful way to face any kind of difficulty.

My father-in-law had three strokes within a four day period. The most severe while at home, and two more while in the hospital. He was confused, his speech impaired and could not walk. Upon his release from the hospital we had sitters with him 24 hours a day. (This happened two years ago.) He, like your great uncle is also a very stubborn man.

He will be 85 in September and is walking at least 30 minutes a day, talking clearly and driving. I hope this will offer you and your family encourgement.

May God bless you and your family.

Debbie Hydro Dynamics/Nitrox