PDA

View Full Version : Wing on a stick

Trae
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Some of you might remember this wing up on my sign. I have decided to take it down because I have found a good home for it. A person by the name of John Sherlock is the new owner. This man has the ability to restore the boat back to a correct period piece. I just wanted to post a few pictures of us taking it down. This is an eighteen foot boat that was raced by Lee Rickter out of Texas. Mr. Sherlock will keep us posted on the restoration progress.

Trae
02-24-2005, 09:10 AM
A few more. Be paitent there are about 20 pictures.

Trae
02-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Here it is slung and being cut down.

Trae
02-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Here it is on the ground.

Raceman
02-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Man, that's good news, not only for the boat gettin' rescued, but for John bein' the one who ends up with it. I hope the weather hasn't been to unkind to it.

keith scotton
02-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I hate to see her go away but it is probably a good thing.
Keith

Mark75H
02-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Man, that's good news, not only for the boat gettin' rescued, but for John bein' the one who ends up with it. I hope the weather hasn't been to unkind to it.

Ditto on that, major good news! :) You did the right thing Trae!

T2x
02-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Great news......and the right guy got it.

I wonder if John will let me drive it..... :p

T2x

rhinoXX
02-24-2005, 11:00 AM
John is the right man for the job. What a nostalgia maniac he is. I have offered to ride along and help retrieve this time piece. I am sure it will consume him for at least a couple of years, if it takes even that long. :-)

Trae
02-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Here are some more.

Trae
02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Full of owl ****. Nasty.

Trae
02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Yea, It's real.

Mark75H
02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Those stacks are Quincys .... steel :D

No, John, you may not borrow my shop vac. Borrow one from Rich :)

Trae
02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Who's that good looking guy??

Dave S
Don't let PETA know that you disturbed some critters and there birthritehome.

AnthonySS
Pretty Cool...keep us updated and thanks

Fish
02-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I definitely remeber that wing on your sign from a post a year or so ago. Always wondered what happened to it. What an incredible piece of history. The new owner sure is a lucky guy and I am glad you sold it to someone who will restore it to its former glory.

rhinoXX
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Trae, I am going to help retrieve but not sure about chit! He is going to take the deck off anyway to facilitate restoration.

RBT
02-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Awsome that Mr. Sherlock got that boat!.

I hope the progress is well documented here!..

RT

stylishskier
02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Im surprised nobody organized a covert op to steal it before now :eek:
can't wait to see the finished product :cool:

Stinky
02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
I heard John got the boat and the owl. Just what he needs, another hobby and another pet. :D

Casey
02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
there was more crap in my pants then in the boat after the adventure we had getting it down ;)

AnthonySS
02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
How Long was the boat up there? and how was it actually attached? Did it once have 2 motors on it while up there?

Thanks in advance

Casey
02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
it's been up there since the late 70's and yes it did have two motors. the other motor fell off a years ago. i believe keith might know the whereabouts of it.

it was sitting on and bolted to a 2x8 piece of channel. one in the front and one in the rear. the channel was welded to the top of sign and there were four cross braces for stability.

at100plus
02-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Funny how if that were like a 1978 MFG Tri Hull it wouldn't be worth the money and time to take it down to chop it up, but since it's a Switzer Craft, that wreck is another man's treasure!

MagicFloat
02-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Evey time I hear of another Wing being found for restoration I have to wonder how many others are still out there,have to be a few more. And I remember the story(probrably just a story) of the new,unrigged one somewhere in Florida for big bucks(an urban legend maybe,but interesting) Don't know of any boat model with more mystique surrounding it than a Switzer Wing. I'm glad guys like Outboard Bob,T2x,and John Sherlock are keeping the legend going.

Bruce Washburn
02-25-2005, 08:15 AM
I can't wait to see what John will do with this rig. Congrats John.
I see a match race in the future with Kitson and Sherlock.

AnthonySS
02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
THANKS CASEY...for the responce that in it's self is interesting history.

I am also curious about Pearland Marine...it seems like you guys have a rich hi-performance history...funny that a motor built by my guy here in Canada, had a tuner in the motor stamped Pearland Marine.

Tell me a bit about your history as I am interested?

THANKs in advance

T2x
02-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Evey time I hear of another Wing being found for restoration I have to wonder how many others are still out there,have to be a few more. And I remember the story(probrably just a story) of the new,unrigged one somewhere in Florida for big bucks(an urban legend maybe,but interesting) Don't know of any boat model with more mystique surrounding it than a Switzer Wing. I'm glad guys like Outboard Bob,T2x,and John Sherlock are keeping the legend going.

I believe the cache is "drying up".......

There are a total of 10 in existence that I know of.....

1. Bob V's "Diablo"

2. Darren and mine

3. Sherlock's

4. One in restoration in Arizona

5. Dick Davis'

6. Jim Merten's sons' boat in Wisconsin

7, 8, 9..... 3 in a collection in Dayton, Ohio

10. The Wing in Boynton Beach

Aside from those and one that was stolen some years ago....... I believe that's it.

T2x

Mr.T
02-25-2005, 08:42 AM
T2X ? Would the three in Dayton belong to Jon Culver

T2x
02-25-2005, 09:46 AM
T2X ? Would the three in Dayton belong to Jon Culver

No..... They belong to a friend of his...an eccentric guy with a LOT of toys.

T2x

Powercat
02-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Photos of 5 of these restorations can be found at the following link
http://www.powercatboat.com/Switzer/Switzer.html
Which I am trying to find time to do a better job on the
web pages but will get to it "one of these days"
Danny Leger

I believe the cache is "drying up".......

There are a total of 10 in existence that I know of.....
1. Bob V's "Diablo"
2. Darren and mine
3. Sherlock's
4. One in restoration in Arizona
5. Dick Davis'
6. Jim Merten's sons' boat in Wisconsin
7, 8, 9..... 3 in a collection in Dayton, Ohio
10. The Wing in Boynton Beach

Aside from those and one that was stolen some years ago....... I believe that's it.
T2x

Mr.T
02-25-2005, 10:39 AM
No..... They belong to a friend of his...an eccentric guy with a LOT of toys.

T2x
T2X Can't imagine who that might be as i am originaly from Dayton Jon got me involved in
boat racing

T2x
02-25-2005, 11:15 AM
T2X Can't imagine who that might be as i am originaly from Dayton Jon got me involved in
boat racing

Jon is an old friend of mine and he put me in touch with the guy.... He exists, but is very quirky..... I've had occasional chats with him and he prefers a low profile...

Let's see............. originally from Dayton? HMMM?

John Keller?

Tom Stickle?

T2x

Trae
02-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Here are some photos after we opened it up.

Trae
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Here are a few more.

Trae
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
And a few more.

largecar91
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I know the guy in Dayton. One of the t-2's he plans on using on one of the wings was mine. I sold it to him in 1990.

wing nut
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
i remember that post with the wing sign last yr also it was pretty cool. im just curious to know why are they so theasured boats? were they amazingly fast, stable? easy to drive? or is it just a unique boat that everyone wants because theres not many of them?? i dont know much about the history of these boats so im curious to know why every1 wants these things.

thanks,
scott

Mr.T
02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Jon is an old friend of mine and he put me in touch with the guy.... He exists, but is very quirky..... I've had occasional chats with him and he prefers a low profile...

Let's see............. originally from Dayton? HMMM?

John Keller?

Tom Stickle?

T2x
T2X=SECOND GUESS GOT IT

T2x
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
i remember that post with the wing sign last yr also it was pretty cool. im just curious to know why are they so theasured boats? were they amazingly fast, stable? easy to drive? or is it just a unique boat that everyone wants because theres not many of them?? i dont know much about the history of these boats so im curious to know why every1 wants these things.

thanks,
scott

The Switzer Wing hulls were, without a doubt, the most advanced design of their era... (1960's)...... In addition, nothing today has yet achieved their speed based on weight/hp. They are unique and .....yes..... amazingly fast and stable...not necessarily easy to drive, but back in the day they were exclusively helmed by experienced race drivers. I constantly say...if you ever saw one back then..... you never forgot it....and you wanted to drive one.

The design was eclipsed by the early multi engine Molinaris....... but..... the Switzers didn't get a chance to counter with mods to increase turning ability (Wings were faster in the straights, Molinaris cornered much better, it was about a draw in rough water)...... because both outboard factories backed out of multi engine race boats shortly after the dawn of the tunnel boat...and unlike Molinari's and other tunnel hulls...the wing design did not translate to single engine applications.

There are links all over here to the Wing sites that explain the history..... Bob Switzer's "The day I flew a boat" is a must read.

T2x

RBT
02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
T2x we need more detailed pictures of yours!......... and are your champs gonna be above the water?

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:01 PM
T2X=SECOND GUESS GOT IT

Welcome.......... To one of the godfathers of OPC... Mister Tom Stickle

History

Started in the mid 60's with an FJ Checkmate, won a number of races and Championships.

Graduated to a factory tunnel ride ( Had a near legendary "snap flip" in a single Stacker/Jones)....... and held his own

Became one of the most respected officials in tunnel boat racing.

Good to have you aboard.

T2x

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:04 PM
T2x we need more detailed pictures of yours!......... and are your champs gonna be above the water?

Good question........ ;) The Wings seem to float at the middle of the wing aft...and that is just below the engine cowls on a 12" Center section.

Pictures are out of my control......... I like stealth. :p

T2x

RBT
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
ok, sooooooooooo you got 2 leftys there........... or you got one each?

Powercat
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I just went back through my collection of photos of the Wings
from years past, and in everyone it looks like the centerline of
the lower units were 4-6 inches below the bottom of the tunnels...
< or maybe its 2-3 inches >
Mostly because at speed the boat is not in the water due to
the wing lift and they had to be down far enough so that at
least half the prop was catching the water.
This is one of the earlier ones but shows the lower units in
relation to the wing in flight.

AnthonySS
02-25-2005, 03:31 PM
PC...

That shot is awesome.... THANKS What's the story on the enclosed cockpit version? Has anyone restored one of these?

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:33 PM
ok, sooooooooooo you got 2 leftys there........... or you got one each?

Do you think powerheads only go one way?

Lower units have bi directional (straight cut) gears.

T2x

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I just went back through my collection of photos of the Wings
from years past, and in everyone it looks like the centerline of
the lower units were 4-6 inches below the bottom of the tunnels...
Mostly because at speed the boat is not in the water due to
the wing lift and they had to be down far enough so that at
least half the prop was catching the water.
This is one of the earlier ones but shows the lower units in
relation to the wing in flight.

Look closer....... The article says 4-6 inches but the picture shows 2-3.

T2x

RBT
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I only go one way...... I know they go both......turning out I would assume.

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
I only go one way...... I know they go both......turning out I would assume.

...........of course ...... anything else would be backwards ;)

T2x

RBT
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
backwards or dangerous?

T2x
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
backwards or dangerous?

...................Precisely

Powercat
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Look closer....... The article says 4-6 inches but the picture shows 2-3.

T2x
At the speeds yours will be running you may need longshaft units
to even reach the water !!
9.. 8.. 7.. 6.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. Lift off !!!!
Where no man has gone before!!

Powercat
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I believe all the enclosed cockpit versions were made of wood
( I have been corrected on this see below in the following mesages)
before they built the mold and started making the glass boats.
As far as I know none of them have been found to have survived
the years.
Danny

PC...
That shot is awesome.... THANKS What's the story on the enclosed cockpit version? Has anyone restored one of these?

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I was amused just yesterday looking at drag racer Jon Wright's motor .... even his modern Super Speedmaster has the water pump housing with the ability to pump water with either shaft rotation .... a throw back to the stone age of OPC racing. :eek:

The Boyton Beach Wing is a late model glass Wing with an enclosed canopy. Looks like Battlestar Gallactica or Star Wars. Somebody needs to step up and take that thing before he wants even more for it.

AnthonySS
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks Guys,

Yes... the canopy boat does look a newer version

Powercat
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
The Boyton Beach Wing is a late model glass Wing with an enclosed canopy. Looks like Battlestar Gallactica or Star Wars. Somebody needs to step up and take that thing before he wants even more for it.

Now that I look I found one of the glass boats with enclosed
canopies as you say... Is this what the Boyton Beach boat
looks like?

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Same style boat for certain, but I think there is a minor difference in the canopy glass. Might be camera angle and lighting .... or Alzheimer's .... where'd I leave my sandwich? Have I had dinner yet? Oh, boy ....

SUPERBASH
02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Full of owl ****. Nasty.

HOLY CRAP!!!!......on a stick. :D

(I have more pics of T2x's Wing :cool: .... to be posted shortly.)

2us70
02-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I recall Dave Craig running a wood Switzer wing like the one in the picture earlier in this thread. It was the only wood Switzer I ever saw with canopies and I thought it belonged to Mercury. Were any more of those built? If I remember right the glass wings with the canopies were a couple of feet longer than open cockpit boats. In their day I think every OPC driver wanted to drive one I know I sure did.

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
I think there were 3 wooden ones with canopies .... didn't Miss Skyway have a sister at Lake X? Plus I think the Switzer's own U-4 was refitted with a canopy.

You would be right about them belonging to Mercury. Kiekhaefer was the first customer and literaly owned the molds at the Switzer factory.

Raceman
02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
T2X, I'm not sure which gearcases you're running, but I'm not aware of any speedmaster type case that can simply be run in either direction. I've been told by both Stecky and other current speedmaster gurus that there's more to reversing the 4 or 6 than flipping the powerhead rotation. I'd have a very hard time believing that an old SSM could live that way either without mods, at least re shimming.

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I think Rich's motor man knows what he's doing, Norris. ;)

Dave S
02-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Is that like switching your socks???? :rolleyes:

T2x
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
T2X, I'm not sure which gearcases you're running, but I'm not aware of any speedmaster type case that can simply be run in either direction. I've been told by both Stecky and other current speedmaster gurus that there's more to reversing the 4 or 6 than flipping the powerhead rotation. I'd have a very hard time believing that an old SSM could live that way either without mods, at least re shimming.

We did it on this( see below)....and if they lived offshore for hours...It'll definitely live for a few minutes at a time on a wIng.

T2x

T2x
02-25-2005, 05:23 PM
He may just take the right in left out case and turn it left in right out.

Which is what I've been trying to say.....but not as simply.

Thanks John......

T2x

T2x
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM

RM....... Just for jollies..... Try starting one of your motors and running it for a while......under load at speed. You will find it incredibly liberating....so will the motor... :D

If something breaks.... try something different.

That's what we always do.

T2x

P.S. ....you're probably right about the shimming

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Is that like switching your socks???? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it doesn't smell as bad. :eek:

Raceman
02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Well here's the dilema: I've got a four and a six. I want to turn my powerhead R for several reasons, but Stecky, Brenden Power, and Noah have all told me I can't do it without doing something different in either gearcase. The "what" varies slightly. If y'all are doin' it I'd like specifics.

ssent
02-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Wasn't there a small artical and pic or two of one these switzers in hot boat several years ago? I think it was black and yellow. Striped like a bengal tiger design. The stripes ran the width of the hull not the length. Open canopy design. Boat was next to a dock. The pic was taken from overhead. I've thrown out all my old mags, other wise I'd look for it to post.

Mark75H
02-25-2005, 06:31 PM
I think I know where that boat is now ...... :D

ssent
02-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Mark75H. Small world. Didn't realize thats the one. Looked nice in mag. Pics to come?

Trae
02-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I am very, very pleased with all the response this thread has gotten. Thanks to everyone who have posted. I truly like anything and everything regarding old race boat history. I got into this a little late, wish I could of been exposed to this stuff at an earlier age. The boat went to the best home I possibly could have chosen. Mr. Sherlock is a class act and will restore it as correct as it can be done!! Please keep us posted on the progress of the restoration. This is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trae

lilabner
02-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Sam

I worked for Dave when he got his first Switzer..and got to drive it..it was just after the six hour at Lake X..I think it was the third boat and the first with a canopy..I am almost certain it is not the sister to the one he won the Gold Coast with...he ran this one in the Gold Coast in 63 but didn't win..Bob S. would know for sure..I had to go far away for 4 years in 64 and got out of the loop..

Butch

MagicFloat
02-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I want to know more about the Boynton Beach Wing. Fact or Myth?All the Wing experts are here,so what is the real story? Somebody step up with the facts.

MagicFloat
02-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Tom,after all these years,glad to have you here too. Robert Nelems,Nelems Marine,your Checkmate dealer from the old,old days. Welcome aboard.

SUPERBASH
02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Well here's the dilema: I've got a four and a six. I want to turn my powerhead R for several reasons, but Stecky, Brenden Power, and Noah have all told me I can't do it without doing something different in either gearcase. The "what" varies slightly. If y'all are doin' it I'd like specifics.

Maybe you and Sherlock could hook up......? He needs stackers. You need tech expertise.......

keith scotton
02-26-2005, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine worked at pearland marine in early 70s said boat was put on sign in 73. I dont know what happened to the other motor but John had both gear cases the gears were junk one prop shaft had end broken off. One was lefthand and one was righthand. He also had one prop.

PARKER RABE
02-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I Think Thats Funny That The Boat Was Up On The Sign And Thinmg Were Falling Off It Over The Years ! , One Motor And One Lower Unit ! , Imagine The Car Going By That Saw The Motor Rot Off The Back And Plunge To The Ground!

Stinky
02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Melissa,

Is being a "Wing widow" any different that being a rc widow or a dwarf car widow or a racing widow or.......

Have fun. See you next week. :)

No I'm not going to help shovel the owl $hi!.

Lee

Powercat
02-10-2008, 12:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190197676441&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI
And now up for Auction on Ebay..

Zonkercraft
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Yep, the starting bid is more than I would pay. No Offense to ya, I hope it sells for what you want, that can only make my old racing junk worth more...:rolleyes:

One person's junk...is another's treasure. Those of us that appreciate the Vintage equipment, in ANY form of motorsports, understand this better than anyone. This is NOT being critical, this is just to set a positive tone.
Where some may think that this may be too much money. If your love of this GROWING form of motorsports is there, then the price of participation is well within reach.
Ask one question...where CAN you find another one like this?? It's not that you can walk into a dealer, or a boat builder, and purchase one. Is it the latest & greatest? No, it a real piece of history. History of where this sport grew from.
How much is the Trans-Am Camero, that Mark Donahue drove for Rodger Penske worth? The car that made Z-28 worth it's wieght in gold to Chevy. How much is the Dale Earnhart Monte Carlo SS worth? How much is a ZO6 Corvette worth? It's price tag is high. High because of it's HISTORY. Compared to these examples, this piece of history is dirt cheap. It really comes down to where your PASSION is, where your heart is.
Yes, some may say it's junk. Would you call your DREAMS junk? Would you call the boat that you have struggled to bring back to life, junk?
If this is your hearts desire, your passion, then it's by no means, junk. It's the legacy that you live with, every time you take the cover off of it. It's HISTORY!

It's, of course, YOUR CHOICE!

Just my thoughts,
Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

rnelems
02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
This is probrably the ONLY 18'Wing available anywhere in the world. When Ted Miller died a couple weeks ago the future of his wing is up in the air. But it was a 20' wing,the 18' is the most desirable. T2X is on vacation,but he could tell us how many 18's are left,not many,and none for sale,except this one. If I had the money(I don't) I would be a player. I predict it will sell,we will see.

Mark75H
02-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Champagne used to be out of the price range for most people in the US, but that didn't make it any less sweet. Now you can buy it everywhere.

I'm sure that most of the people who think the price is too high just don't have that much cash in their check account.

BarryStrawn
02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm sure that most of the people who think the price is too high just don't have that much cash in their check account.

Just like the folks who insist a complete CCC midsection is only worth $500.:)

LakeRacer99
02-10-2008, 09:20 PM

I am sure this boat is worth what someone will pay him for it. I really hate the way prices on stuff like this get driven up cause of hype like this. Kinda like the $2500-3500 20Hs on eBay. In the last 5yrs, I have watched so many of those motors, I don't see how they could be called rare. If this Wing is worth $18K in unrestored condition, needing all structure and cosmetics...what is a numbers matching BP or Twister worth in running condition and not needing a restore? I guess I'd let my SuperBP go for $15-20K then...:D

Mark75H
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Just like the folks who insist a complete CCC midsection is only worth $500.:)
I was wrong about that wasn't I? Refresh my memory, how much did it sell for? Was I off by a factor of 10 or was it closer to 3 or 4?

Mark75H
02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Kinda like the $2500-3500 20Hs on eBay. In the last 5yrs, I have watched so many of those motors, I don't see how they could be called rare.

You are right about the Mk20H not being rare. It is THE most common race motor ever, 4,000 of them made. What makes the value high is the fact that so many people want them, not that there are few of them. 4,000 motors, but 200,000 people who want one ... if they were evenly distributed, for every 50 people who wanted one, only 1 would have a 20H and 49 would not. Its not the 1 guy that has the motor that makes the value high, its the fact that he had to financially outdo 49 others to own it.

You might be able to get that wild amount of money for a BP Stacker in the near future. My guess would be that you'd have to wait a while for that much from the Twister

Raceman
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
So if you had a Super BP and a set of stacks, would you leave the engine stackless or convert it............... speaking purely from a value standpoint?

Raceman
02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
...................everyone was all gung ho about the restoration that was gonna take place and what happened?

Jason, I can relate. I've got a warehouse full of old car, raceboat and racemotor projects. Every one of em I inteded to jump right on when I bought em, but something else comes along. Life is full of distractions, and as I've gotten older some of my priorities have changed. John probably realized, just like I have, that there's not enough time left to build em all, and decided to prioritize.;)

BarryStrawn
02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I was wrong about that wasn't I? Refresh my memory, how much did it sell for? Was I off by a factor of 10 or was it closer to 3 or 4?

I was high bidder on eBay at $1,800 IIRC but that didn't make reserve. I believe Jeff sold it but I'm not sure to who. And I guess none of my business for how much.

Mark75H
02-10-2008, 10:31 PM
So if you had a Super BP and a set of stacks, would you leave the engine stackless or convert it............... speaking purely from a value standpoint?

I'd convert it

The number of people who want a stacker is probably 10 times the number who would want the same motor without. A real geek like me covets Ray Lumpkin's 89 ci Direct Charge 1000 Super BP, but the public would walk right past it to gawk at a Stacker

This is a very rare racing outboard motor:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-Stock-Koing-Racing-Outboard_W0QQitemZ190197885285

Mark75H
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
but that didn't make reserve. I believe Jeff sold it but I'm not sure to who OK, we don't know if it sold at any price, but several people offered more than I guessed they would by almost a factor of 4.

I just felt that the mid alone was a poor risk to buyers as they would need to wait and search a long time to find the other just as rare parts to complete a nice motor

LakeRacer99
02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
*Edit*This thread cracks me up, everyone keeps deleting their posts...

brichter
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Some of you might remember this wing up on my sign. I have decided ..............This is an eighteen foot boat that was raced by Lee Rickter out of Texas. Mr. Sherlock will keep us posted on the restoration progress.
If Lee Richter (sp) was the driver I must be the rightful heir...:D. LOL

moparbarn
02-11-2008, 08:49 AM
I'd convert it

The number of people who want a stacker is probably 10 times the number who would want the same motor without. A real geek like me covets Ray Lumpkin's 89 ci Direct Charge 1000 Super BP, but the public would walk right past it to gawk at a Stacker

This is a very rare racing outboard motor:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-Stock-Koing-Racing-Outboard_W0QQitemZ190197885285
you're right about rare, i've never even heard of a "koing":D ! now , a konig is also very rare.........

Scot Keller
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Bravo to Mr. Sherlock for offering it up. He’s asking a lot of money but good luck to him if he gets it. He clearly sees all the efforts by many including Jeff E and Joe Schulte to see vintage OPC succeed.

Let’s hope it lands in the hands of someone who has the $40k to get it back on the water rather than a speculator who thinks he has a fix on the next Donahue Sunoco Camaro.

We need more boats and engines in honest restoration not speculation.

Zonkercraft
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
The Wing has been SOLD!!!
Congratulations to EVERYBODY!!!
Vintage OPC is ALIVE & VERY HEALTHY!!!!

Scot K
Thanks for your KIND WORDS & SUPPORT !!!!

Zonkercraft
Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Old fiberglass
02-13-2008, 11:58 AM
If Lee Richter (sp) was the driver I must be the rightful heir.... LOL - brichter

I talked to Lee several years ago about the 18 on the pole. He never raced a 18 foot wing and never owned it. He did race a 20 foot wing for Red Adair. When the 20's racing career was over he put it on a pole in front of his Mercury shop. I tried to get a picture of it back in the day...so far no luck. At some point in time it was pulled down. Then it was given back to Red Adair who gave it to one of his friends/employees. The deck was cut back and sunk in Galvaston Bay. Some race boats died a hard death.

The 18 wing on a pole came about from a mechanic who worked for Lee Richter. The mechanic saw how well Lee was doing and decided to start his own dealership/boatshop. Taking the cue from Lee he put a 18 foot wing on his sign post. Lee did not know who prevriously owned the 18 or where it came from. The guy who put the 18 wing on a pole is reported to have died...not sure if that is accurate or not.

Interesting foot note Lee Richter was a WWII bomber pilot in Europe. Still pissed they didn't let him fly P-51's. When I talked to him several years back he was 91 years old.

T2x
02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Who bought it?

Sunburnt
02-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Is there an updated list of what is where?

The list below is from May 2 2007..

Jeff

Originally Posted by T2x
Up date........ The number dwindles... We are down to 15

1. El Diablo....Bob Valachovic/Kenny Kitson...18'

2. John Sherlock's "Wing on a Stick"....18'

3. Ours " Dust'n the Wind"........20'

4. Boynton Beach Wing........ 20'

5. Fort Lauderdale area Wing........ 20'

6. Dick Davis' Wing (see below)..............20'

7. Wing in Arizona (rescued by Ron Hill Last year).... 18'

8, 9, 10..... In a collection in Dayton, Ohio

11. Gene Lanham's (reported sold to Keith Eickert 10 years ago)... 18'

12. Mertens family Wing....................18'

13. Wing at a motorcycle dealership in Canada....... 20'

14. Barry Cohen's Wing..............................18'

15. Wing in New Mexico rigged with 2 x 65's.....18'

The wing in Washington State was apparently sold some years ago and became part of the Florida group.......... according to the latest information. In addition, I am also advised that Gene Lanham's wing was sold some years ago to Keith Eickert. I am following up on that one.

The Canadian wing has been revised from 18' to 20' based on updated info.

T2x
05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Ttttttttt

mark benson
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
T-2X- I see you moved "Wing on a Stick" to page 1, but didn't make a comment. I had just gone thru it, so as to not plow a field that had already been plowed, & was trying to come up with a reply. I see great minds think alike! What does Tttttttt mean?

Mark75H
05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
To The Top

Old fiberglass
05-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Wing had/has about 5 layers of paint on it.

T2x
05-26-2010, 08:31 AM
To The Top

plus a few "t's" for tits :D

mark benson
05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Rich- I thought we weren't supposed to use bad words on S&F.

T2x
05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Rich- I thought we weren't supposed to use bad words on S&F.

I always thought tits was a good word................

However if anyone finds it offensive please feel free to replace it with any of the following......

Boobies, melons, jugs, sweater meat, bazoongas, bra stuffing, nice pair, headlights, torpedos, waterwings, or knockers. :D :D

seeroy
05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Save the TATA's