PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to become a dj. be serious!

baja200merk
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
my brother wants to know exactly what is needed... but the bare minimum :D

jw if any one knows bout this stuff lol

thanks!
kevin

Hot Shot Merc
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Two turn tables and a michrophone :D

1BadAction
02-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Two turn tables and a michrophone :D

argg- just when i think I have that scumbag band out of my head... thanks mullet man! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Flashypaint
02-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Where it’s at!
I got two turntables and a microphone
Where it’s at!
I got two turntables and a microphone
I got plastic on my mind

HAHAHA

Fish
02-15-2005, 07:49 PM
what kind of DJ? Club, radio, wedding? DOe she have wax or cd's? Does he have any equipment?

BTW, I was thinking two turn tables also.

Fish
02-15-2005, 07:53 PM
couple of links:
http://turntablelabs.com/
http://djcentral.com/
http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/forumdisplay/forumid/5

I think Shorepounder offered to teach him ;) LOL

Hottrucks
02-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Start off by finding someone who wants out!! and Buy there stuff. Your going to need a bamillion Cds and plan on spending every penny you make to buy more and keep current. call local dj sevices and ask them if they are looking to get rid of some older Equipment or if they need Dj's to fill in. also try local music shops (band equipment) they can be a great resorse. but remember bigger is not better since you have to lug this stuff from your car to somewhere on the 7th floor and back to the car and in the house Get it!! and be good no on hates a BAD DJ !!

rmh77
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Are you just going to play music or are you going to spin techno,house, breaks etc. Mixing is an art like playing an instrument

Fish
02-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Are you just going to play music or are you going to spin techno,house, breaks etc. Mixing is an art like playing an instrument

could not agree more, thats why I asked about the radio, club, wedding. spinning definitely is an art

pyro
02-16-2005, 09:49 AM
For DJ'ing weddings, paties, and such:

Above all, you'll need MONEY.

CD player, usually a dual-tray player
Basic DJ mixer (with a gooseneck lamp so you can see your work)
Microphone
Power amp (get one that's WAY bigger than you'll need)
Pair of DJ speakers with at least 15" woofers
All necessary cables
Sturdy folding table for your player and mixer (drape a black sheet over it)
Heavy-duty cases for CD's.

Optionally:
Second power amp and a second set of speakers
Speaker stands (carries sound better, but you get more bass with them on the floor)
Powered sub-woofer, or a second power amp and a passive sub.
Wireless mic setup (lets you pass the mic around to guests)
Effects processor for "stupid voice tricks"

There's a lot of people in this profession, in some areas the market is saturated and DJ's can't get gigs, be sure to study the area's DJ market before you invest...

-Chad

baja200merk
02-16-2005, 10:28 AM
yea chad i tried to tell my brother to talk to me b4 he goes and buys anything on ebay but then he just went and bought these speakers... has no idea what hes doing... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781363079&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
but looks like he is stuck with them...

hes got about 15cd mixes so far and hes only been making them for like 3days so id say hes off to a good start...
hes going to be playing for 12-15yr olds at a local dance, should be a good spot to start... all he will be playing is cds he doesnt want to get into vynil and turn tables...
i see alot of stuff on ebay but its all accross the country and would 2x the price to ship the stuff.

questions;

what amps will he need?
what CD players would be good to start out with?
whats a good mixer?

thanks
kevin

baja200merk
02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
how does this look?
good price?
i can pick these up they are near me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29914&item=7300009701&rd=1

thanks
kevin

pyro
02-16-2005, 12:05 PM
That's just the price for the case.

But that sort of setup would work OK.

A lot of the REALLY good quality players will be front-loading and rack-mounted.

The difference between "DJ-quality" stuff and true "pro sound-quality" stuff is huge. Stay away from the Gemini/GEM sound stuff, and get a GOOD power amp such as a Crown, QSC, or maybe a Carvin, at least 400 watts per side. Even if you only need half of that much power, your amp will not be stressed, and the sound will be clean and distortion-free. Distorted "all-the-way-up" audio is usually what causes speakers to blow.

The mixer doesn't need to be fancy. A Pioneer, or even a GEM or "Radio Shack" model would work fine. It only needs to have two cross-fading CD player inputs. If should also have two additional mic inputs as well, for his mic, and optionally, a wireless mic. Additional inputs will allow him to plug in extra toys, like a radio tuner, a karaoke player, or even an acoustic guitar with an electric pickup. :D

Wish him luck...

Those cabinets are a good start. They are probably good for 100-150 watts RMS power, regardless of what bullsh-- "max" power they're supposedly rated for.

It's OK to have a 1200 watt power amp for your 200 watt speakers, just take it easy on the volume. Just cause you drive a Ferarri doesn't mean you have to drive it 200 mph on the freeway. :D

First thing to do would be to take those speakers apart and examine the horns. If the drivers inside are plastic, and say "Motorola" on them, they are "piezo" drives. = Junk. Replace the horns and drivers with voice-coil compression horns for stronger highs, install suitable passive crossovers to take the bass out of the horns. The stock woofers are probably OK for light-duty use. He really needs speakers with 15's to handle the low-end notes in recorded music.

baja200merk
02-16-2005, 04:06 PM
so these speakers will do?

i looked at them crown amps and they say they will never be able to afford them.. any way you can point me in the direction of one they can do a few shows with,make some money and then upgrade?

i didnt pay attention to that above auction i was suppose to be on my way to class lol.

pyro
02-16-2005, 05:28 PM
http://www.carvin.com/products/dcm.php?ItemNumber=DCM600&CID=PWA

225 watts per side at 4 ohms, (if only one set of speakers are connected.) Plenty of power for this application. It will set you back $300.
Most "DJ" speakers, as well as most of the junky ones that people sell out of the backs of vans in parking lots, are 4 ohms. Most "pro sound" speakers are 8 ohms.

The Carvin would actually be 300 watts per side if there were two 4-ohm speakers on each side.

We have a used 800 watt Crown in our shop for $200, but it would cost $25 to ship it.

Don't skimp and buy cheap gear. You WILL get what you pay for...

baja200merk
02-16-2005, 05:49 PM
ill talk to my brother i d like him to have that 800 crown... i just found out i have to go in on this stuff cause his friends backin out! skum bag..

any way those speakers are 8ohms... im trying to get out of them studio pro crap...

pyro do you guys have any axis 4s around? id love some of them!
and id like to give you the buissiness... ;)

thanks!
kevin

pyro
02-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Axis what?!?? Please be more specific. If you're talking about drum hardware, they're way too expensive. Stick with Gibraltar.

The Crown is a model 800 CSL.

baja200merk
02-16-2005, 07:05 PM
sorry

numark axis 4

thanks
kevin

pyro
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
That unit does a bunch of stuff you won't need, "beat mixing", live noise-making stuff. Features to entertain people on drugs. Stick with something simpler.

Don't forget to budget cables and stuff, like I metioned on the first page.

baja200merk
02-17-2005, 11:31 AM
got ya how about the numark axis 222? thanks agian!

kevin

pyro
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
2 CD players and 2-channel cross-fading mixer package.
Looks OK, but a bit expensive at $500. Several sites indicate that this package has been discontinued, not sure if that's true.

The mixer is only a 2-input unit (with mic input, too?)
Not much room to grow.

Used DJ mixers are all over Ebay. You ahould be able to get 4 or more channel mixer for WELL under $100. Pick up some players and a power amp, plug 'em in, and play.

150aintenuff
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
What I had in highschool as the DJ for the dances and what not....

4 Peavey 250W RMS biamp capible 15" speakers(cant remember model)
a 4 channel input Mackie mixer with pre amp
2 channel sterio mackie sub amp with adjustible crossover
4X400W mackie preamp
2 deck 10disk pioneer CDplayer
500 CD's
3 microphones(most were radioshack specials as they were always getting dropped and broken)

All the equipment would fit in the back of my pickup without any problems and if i needed more sound (only once) I have still to this day 4 15" jensen "proaudio series" tower speakers and 3 monitors which were ran off the mixer. total DB was around 130 and would even fill the foot ball feild if needed

total investment was around 1700 less CD's and the school still uses the setup to this day and as the equipment gets warn in it just keeps getting louder... (its used at about 1/10th its capabilities for dances and 1/5th for the homecomming....) it was descent and worked for what I did and it sounds as if he is starting at around the same age group... it would bump HARD on bass tracks and just SCREAM out the highs and I got it to distort 1 time.. and that was at a local bands concert in the fair grounds and the volume and gain were as loud as it would ever be pushed... still not anywhere near max though.... (cops told us to turn it down a little) the weak link to the entire system was the speakers. and they never caused any problems when it was hooked up right.

the band director had a habit of seting it up on a single channel rather than sterio...

SUPAJAY
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Get yourself a nice set of CD turn tables, you can do some crazy sh*t with those. They run about 2000 with a crossover, but your money will be well spent.

Ripper
05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
If your serious call me... I just PM'd you... I am a Professional DJ and will give you serious advice... Nothing for sale on my end just a fellow S&F member!

Ripper

PhastBoat
06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I had my own Mobile DJ business for many years.

Try here, great prices but watch the shipping!

http://www.ikesound.com/