PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get Dupont Imron?

Action-18
02-15-2005, 09:23 AM
I thought that Imron was only available to professionals. Is this true? If not, does anyone know where I can get it and which Imron is best for boats? Thanks

CDave
02-15-2005, 10:09 AM
As far as I know anyone can buy it. Do yourself a favor and make sure ya got a proper mask to paint.

Action-18
02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I think I had heard of a guy spraying his boat and he never woke up. I have checked West marine and others but still can not find an actual retail source yet.

Thanks

LakeRaider
02-15-2005, 05:32 PM
KOI, also known as Kentucky Motors carries it. Heres the # for there refinish store in Ohio. Talk to John. 513-741-0060 LakeRaider

Flashypaint
02-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Just use Sherwin Williams "WESTANE" about the same thing at 1/3 the cost.
It holds up just as well as the other "TRADE" brands. or you can use paint from west marine they have there = to Imron.

Action-18
02-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Wow, S/Will, really!
OK, to take this further:
Too many choices here, I need freedom from choice,
Stick with a Polyurethane Epoxy?
These were the paints I was considering:

Interlux Briteside - 1 part Poly w/teflon $100/gal
Interlux Perfection - 2 part linear poly $200/gal
Imron - Polyurethane epoxy not sure $$, just heard it is the best

West Marine is a Poly/silicone Alkyd $80/gal

Petit does make a Polyurethane epoxy called Easypoxy for $100/gal

Typical of me to torture myself over details like this. Really i just don't want to keep looking at the boat pissed because I cheaped out a few $$

Re-painting is also an issue as far as I have seen for a re-paint down the line it is not recommended to coat with dis-similar types.

Probably most of my buddies would say Geeze Joe, just paint the @*!@#$ thing and put it the water already.

Redbullet
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Sherwin Williams makes one also which is about the same as Imron.

77STREAM
02-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Geeze Joe, just paint the @*!@#$ thing and put it the water already.!!!!!!! I'm doing the same thing with my Vector! Your not alone! :D

Pete

BUSHWACKER
02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Why not ask WILDMAN? :)

Raceman
02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Any bodyshop supply store that sells Dupont should have it. It's extremely dangerous to the respiratory system and you can wake up dead from over exposure.

I've never tried some of the competing products mentioned here. but Imron is about the best stuff I've ever used for boats. I hate it on cars because it's so hard to get off, but for fiberglass I think it's hard to beat.

10.5' Tunnel
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
My buddy used the interlux with teflon on the bottom and top of his boat. It has held up fine with 2 hard seasons on it. His bottom takes a huge beating too.

Action-18
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I have considered the 1-part and 2-part Interlux paints. Easy to use, relatively cheap, and pretty forgiving. The bottom is a different matter.

MattGreen
02-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi there,
I have used both the Interlux Brightside and the Petit Easyposy quite extensively. They are actually quite comparable products. Neither has fantastic solvent resistance, like most one-part paints, although I haven't had problems with the occasional splash of gas. Both go on really nice (quite thin actually) and cleanup is as easy as regular alkyd paints. Both are safe to spray at home using an organic vapur respirator with paint-spray prefilters. They are also very easy to touch-up: just use a small brush. They are not reccomended for extended use below the waterline, i.e. on a boat that's moored for weeks at a time, although I've not had a problem with 2 weeks in saltwater at a time. Proper priming using their reccomended primers is very important.

Don't spray Imron or other linear polurethanes at home - the short version is this is VERY unsafe. I made an extenive post about this last year in the fiberglass forum.

Matt

Action-18
02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Oh, cool, then I will do below the waterline also. It is only trailered in and out. Never salty. Thanks very much. Joe

Stretch
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
"Asher brothers" mixes imron on the spot. I dont know if those stores are anywhere near you or not though. Dont forget about awgrip too.

150aintenuff
02-26-2005, 11:41 PM
I would get in touch with wildman on this one.... he has some of the sickest paint around... and I am sure he would be willing to give recommendations as to what would be best in your case....

Action-18
02-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Will do, thanks.

Hey, that wouldn't be a red and white GT-150 that the smiley face is bouncin' in would it?

150aintenuff
02-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Im not really sure... I just found it and thought It was a cool old glastron... and just had to have it...

Action-18
02-27-2005, 12:07 AM
I can't blame you Nick, it is very cool. Yes, I am pretty sure it is a Glastron GT-150. I know the boat well because I spent a few months fixin one. It is the "James Bond Boat" made famous with the jump over the highway in the 1st Roger Moore Bond movie. A few great Glastrons which really boosted sales that year for them, 1973 I think. Recorded as a world jumping record. A great boat chase but the lamest Bond movie.

150aintenuff
02-27-2005, 11:49 PM
I was told it is either a GT 150 or a CV16 but not really sure which 1 dont really care either.... it was just a cool smiley..

BTW did wildman give you any ideas where to go...