PDA

View Full Version : Pro Max Problems

Matt
05-15-2001, 12:17 AM
I've been having a heck of a time keeping #6 from seizing on a Pro Max. I finally had a dealer check it out and after two trips over there he found the fuel regulator to be leaking by back into the vapor separator. Could this be the cause of all my troubles? It makes sense that if it was causing the motor to run lean #6 would go first since it is getting pulled on the hardest by the tuner. What do you guys think? Anybody ever experienced this?

Matt

crowfly
05-15-2001, 09:29 AM
Hi Matt,
My 1998 225 pro-max also lost #6 once. There was a service bulletln on this with regards to water flow around #6 cyl.
With the head removed they insert a piece of tubing in the water jacket between the outer cylinder wall and the block. this creates a water dam which forces water to circle around the cylinder. Maybe yours has already had this done to it. I hope I have done a decent job of explaining the procedure. Check with dealer on this service bulletin & if you don't get satisfactory results, E=mail me for a more detailed explaination.

WillyT
05-15-2001, 02:49 PM
As you probably know, there was a total ProMax recall a year or so ago that changed several things. This was because too many ProMaxes were getting "fried" and costing Mercury a lot of warranty expenses. I took my 1999 back, and my buddy took his 1997 back. This included, as I recall, an new calibration on the ECU, as well as different spark plugs. While some claimed this improved the low end power at the expense of 1 mph or so on the top end, my dealer (who also sells Allisons and is a real "straight shooter") says his dyno runs show that a few horsepower were acually gained at high rpm levels as well. Anyway, if you did not participate in that recall, the specific water flow problem on #6 cylinder could be just one of your problems. I assume that this water flow problem was corrected in the 1999 models as I never heard about it and have never had any problems with that cylinder (and I do not think that it was part of the recall I discuss above).

Matt
05-15-2001, 09:21 PM
I've had the update done and I have the water dams around the cylinders. I've got a problem somewhere else. I can't put a finger on and neither can anyone else. That's why I asked about the fuel regulator. That's about the only thing we've found that was definitely wrong. If I can't put my finger on something this time there's about to be a whole lot of Pro Max parts for sale.

Matt