PDA

View Full Version : Which wire goes where?

SDuster11
02-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I got a Merc 700. I'm trying to hook it up but I am having trouble. It's serial number is 4574381. The deal is I'm hooking the ignition to a turn key (automotive type, off, on, start with the settings batt.; ignition, and acc.

I plan on having a seperate button for the elec. choke

I have six wires coming out of the motor red, orange, grey, yellow, black, and brown.

Finally where do i connect my battery cables to at the motor? Please help me I just put a new piston in and am dying to start her up. heres a pic just to see what it looks like. SO FAR :rolleyes:

QUICKSILVER
02-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Get a marine, outboard switch. The kill circuit is different than the automotive. You kill the power to shut off an auto engine. Outboards ground the ignition to to kill the motor. You can get a switch for under $20.00 that will work. Red is 12V from battery, orange should be the kill wire, grey should be for the choke, yellow should be start on the starter solenoid, black should be the ground from the battery, and brown should be the tachometer connection.

SDuster11
02-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Ok I got the correct switch for the motor. Now I just need help with just matching up the wires. Heres where I hope someone can set me straight. Here's what I got to work with. I am not going to run the standard control box all I want to run is the switch.

Does the electric choke tie into the switch?

Which wire goes with which?

Motor Side Switch
Red Red (2)
Orange Black (2)
Grey Purple (2)
Black Yellow-Red
Yellow Yellow-Black
Brown Black-Yellow

Will someone please help me out. thanks

QUICKSILVER
02-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Some switches are made where you push in the key for choke. It would depend on the switch that you have. This would be a little easier if you had a switch with lugs on the back for screws. I will get back with you on what wires to connect together. I will look at some diagrams.

SDuster11
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Quicksilver:
Thanks, I'm chomping at the bit to start her up. thanks

QUICKSILVER
02-12-2005, 01:03 PM
connect red on harness to red on switch, the other red on switch is for accesories you want to run with the switch turned off, lights, bilge, blower, etc.
connect the orange wire from motor to black&yellow on switch.
connect grey wire from motor to yellow&black on switch.
black connects to black, the extra black is to ground anything on the dash panel.
connect yellow from motor to yellow&red on switch.
the brown wire from the engine is for a tach.
I recommend that you run the start wire through the shifter so the enging can't be started in gear.

QUICKSILVER
02-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Purple is for accessories that you want to only be on when the switch is on.