PDA

View Full Version : Painting over gelcoat

Hydrilla Houndawg
02-04-2005, 02:16 PM
I would like to know just how durable painting over gelcoat is. Is it as easy to scratch as say a cars paint job? I have seen some pretty intense paint jobs on this site and find it hard to believe that it would be worth the man hours/dollars just to have it scratch if one was to lightly bump a dock or something. Is this something that will last? I am having my new bass boat built and am thinking of gelcoating the hull for more durability and painting sides and cap. Should I not use paint on sides? Any advice on products to go with for better durability would help along with some does and don'ts. thanks

SWEET EMOTIONS RACING
02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Call Me I Have A Friend That Does This For A Living And Believe Me He Know What He Is Doing.

Thanks
Brandon 936-443-6090

Steven
02-13-2005, 11:37 AM
when i bought an 86 liberator, the previous owner completely forgot to mention the hull had blisters where the boat rides on the trailer boards. had a local body shop fix it and somehow it ended up getting new paint up to the rubrail instead of the bottom only. its yellow and it matched up good and has held up well. they have some type of camera that photos the color to be matched and it figures the mix. gel is best though in my opinion.

150aintenuff
02-27-2005, 12:04 AM
a good poly /epoxy paint is fairly strong but the thickness of gel has more durability than a thin layer of paint... gel coat is byfar superior due to the thickness but if mistreated can bluster easily if surface isnt prepped well.