PDA

View Full Version : E-Tec (Read: KABLAMMO!!!)

Just1More
02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Found this over at THT:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=48629&start=1&posts=5

my 90 e-tec (2005) blew a powerhead at 37 hours. they say the engine ran for 29 minutes without oil. the no oil alarm went off once, i checked the oil tank and there was plenty of oil. and then the alarm never went off again. i was told that air bubbles can form in the oil line if you have low oil and tilt the engine up. when you tilt it back down, an air bubble can form in the oil line. no one claimed that this is what caused the powerhead failure though. has anyone else had an e-tec powerhead failure? and if so, what was the reason? also, i have been using the xd-100 oil and the engine is porperly set-up. it also used way more oil than they claimed it would. in the 37 hours of use, i filled the oil tank three times. it blew in the beginning of the third oil tank. i just got the boat back and after running it for approx. 2 hrs, the no oil alarm went off again. this time i brought the boat back to the mechanic. they river tested it and had no alarms go off. i had one oif the first ficht 150 engines which blew three powerheads in three months. i hope that i am not going to get burned again......

DarthVMAX
02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Link does not work :confused:

Just1More
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry. It works now.

Laker
02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a huge load of Crap to me.

Have shovel
will travel

DarthVMAX
02-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Like I said....some teething pains may come up for the new ETEC's but IMO it won't be anything CLOSE to the initial Ficht problems. BRP is just a whole different ball game and UNLIKE just1more, I have plenty of confidence in them...(BOMB just does not make a junky product, ever ridden in a Lear Jet? :cool: )

rsess
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
The second of two private Challenger Jets, manufactured by Bombardier, crashed in New Jersey today. But that is Bombardier. Etec is BRP now. It's a private company.

BarryStrawn
02-02-2005, 05:10 PM
If Brunswick made airplanes, I wouldn't fly in one :)

blkmtrfan
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Didn't the Bombardier family buy back sport division?

Just1More
02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Like I said....some teething pains may come up for the new ETEC's but IMO it won't be anything CLOSE to the initial Ficht problems. BRP is just a whole different ball game and UNLIKE just1more, I have plenty of confidence in them...(BOMB just does not make a junky product, ever ridden in a Lear Jet? :cool: )

You OBVIOUSLY don't know anyone who owns a Sea Doo! If they can't even make a PWC thats worth a damn, I sure as hell wouldn't buy an outboard from them. And as far as their jets, if one is spending $40 million, it better be PERFECT. Personally, I'd take a Gulfstream over a Bomb any day.

blazer200
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Tie a rope to the e-tec,use it for an anchor and buy a merc.

Laker
02-02-2005, 10:15 PM
And Buy an merc what? 4 stroke?
Thats going to be about all thats left pretty soon over at brunswick.

150aintenuff
02-03-2005, 02:03 AM
hey laker you read the new B&WB feb issue... that 4stk runs with that 250 XS even with the added weight... so needless to say I was impressed... and BTW the OPTI will be around for atleast a while (2008) so dont get your hopes up that BRP will be the ONLY 2 stk around...

1BadAction
02-03-2005, 02:11 AM
And Buy an merc what? 4 stroke?
Thats going to be about all thats left pretty soon over at brunswick.
how you figure that? since when is merc discontinuing the opti motors?

(the sky is falling, the sky is falling) :eek:

DarthVMAX
02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Your right, only two guys I work with, my neighbor, and about 4 close friends of mine. Oh yeah one of those Sea Doos is 15 years old and still going strong. So again you are correct I don't know ANYONE who owns a SEA DOO :eek: :eek: :eek: Gulfstreams are nice too...SLOW but nice :p

Greg Moss
02-03-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the plane in question had not been deiced properly and could not take off. Planes don't fly well with ice on the wings don't matter who makes them.

1 more If you had a failure of an E-Tec that is the only one i have heard of. The dealers here send them out and never hear from the customers again. They just don't break.

There are alot of Sea-doos around here that run very well and for a long time. Bomb also make the Ski-Doo line of snow machines.Very reliable too.

neveredge
02-03-2005, 10:19 AM
This sounds like operator error to me.

I have not heard of any etec failures either and I have been looking. I am a biased Johnyrude guy and I really want the new BRP motors to work well. I think 1 failure out of all the etecs out there now isn't too bad.

If anyone else knows of any other reputable reports of etec failures please post it. If there is a problem we all need to know about it. OMC hid the problems (ficht) from us for a long time. Of course so did Merc on the optibomb.

Just1More
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
1 more If you had a failure of an E-Tec that is the only one i have heard of. The dealers here send them out and never hear from the customers again. They just don't break.

Wasn't mine. I wouldn't buy one. But I'll be tracking the history of it.

I will say this though, I wouldn't mind having one of the Evinrude V8's!! Thats right up there with the old Honda CBX (inline 6 motorcycle).

One question though. Where the hell does Bombardier get off using such a "patriotic" scheme on the E-tec's cowl?!!!

They're freakin' French/Canadian for Christs sake!!!

DarthVMAX
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Actually the patriotic scheme may be because they are made in AMERICA by AMERICANS for AMERICANS (the Stars and Stipes started out for the Evinrude Pro Staffers ONLY-who are...well......AMERICAN!) I guess they decided it looked so cool that they badged their 150, 200, 225HO's with the Stars and Stripes to stand out from the non-HO's and offer them up to the public, again thats just a guess.

Laker
02-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Who cares if merc is making the Opti or not.
Mercury dealers are all pushing 4 strokes now-a-days and the optis have a reputations like the Fitch... So the dealers are even learly of them.
Even if the motor in question did fail, having 3 year coverage that can be extened to 7 years says allot about a manufacture.
Its ok to come out and tell everyone you dont like a product or manufacure, or even that you support one brand but not another based on loyality. But to come out with a bunch of BS bashing a product with No way of backing up what you say... is just CRAP! Their was similar $hit thowing about the Verado when it came out that I did not support either. On top of that to say a SeaDoo is junk... Either your are insulting our inteligence, our memory, or simply making up lies.
Take it else where

Just1More
02-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Who cares if merc is making the Opti or not.
Mercury dealers are all pushing 4 strokes now-a-days and the optis have a reputations like the Fitch... So the dealers are even learly of them.
Even if the motor in question did fail, having 3 year coverage that can be extened to 7 years says allot about a manufacture.
Its ok to come out and tell everyone you dont like a product or manufacure, or even that you support one brand but not another based on loyality. But to come out with a bunch of BS bashing a product with No way of backing up what you say... is just CRAP! Their was similar $hit thowing about the Verado when it came out that I did not support either. On top of that to say a SeaDoo is junk... Either your are insulting our inteligence, our memory, or simply making up lies.
Take it else where

Just posting a report of an engine failure, Dude! Obviously , YOU CAN'T HANDLE FACT!!! When I find more info. about the guy's problem w/ his E-TEC I'll post it. You act as though a 3 year warranty thats extended to 7 is an industry 1st first for Evinrude. Gee, I just checked my warranty on my Optimax and I have the exact same coverage. Although, so far, my warranty hasn't even been touched and it's a '99.

Laker
02-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Their is no fact in anything you have said...
Good luck

Michael Martin
02-03-2005, 04:09 PM
OK well lets play the "what if" game. Is it remotley possible that this motor malfunctioned. Yes, as always something could have gone wrong. If the motor was not properly rigged by the boat manufacturer or dealer then their could have been something over-looked, line pinched, etc.

Something like this could have happend to any motor, it just happened to be an e-tec this time.

Also there could be more info that were not getting from the boat owner.

No reason to bash anything when we dont have all the details.

Mike

Laker
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Bingo!

Mike
Tell MikeA I said Hi and ask him if he is still doing rods?

Michael Martin
02-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Will do. If you want you can call him out our shop. Martins Performance - 803-364-2162..
Mike

Laker
02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Sweet
THanks Mike
Chris

Just1More
02-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Their is no fact in anything you have said...
Good luck

Hey, Richard Whiskey, read the link in the first post!

I couldn't care less how the E-tec does. Kinda like the ol' Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge deal. I simply don't choose to be an Evinrude/Johnson/Bombardier fan. Too many bad experiences whith all three of the brands mentioned. Please don't call me a liar.

froggy
02-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Bombardier also owns Rotax, an Austrian small engine manufactuer. Rotax engines are used on many top tier motorcycles. they have been winning grand prix motorcycle races quite frequently. I think they understand engines. Mercury will have some formidable competition soon. We will all benefit from this.

froggy

boatdoc
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
hello didyour engine go into( safe )while running with no oil? did you have a code 38 if so how many times? if you are running in a cold climate there has been a recall on some of the xd 100 i believe it is july04 and prior

ps etec will run with no oil in the system while in the safe mode to get you back to shore etc

Just1More
02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I will ask the guy, whose E-tec blew, your question and post his response.

racer
02-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Having sold a large number of etecs I must say they have ALL been trouble free to this point, but as was mentioned it does not matter how good an engine is if it is not installed correctly (oil system bleed, right propeller etc)

boatdoc
02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
hi racer

i'm new at this i thought i was replying to the other person whose eteck broke down. it seemed to use to much oil and the 29 minutes of no oil does not seem right i was going to email him back for more info .but some of the responces are not very nice . so thanks for the replybob

Laker
02-09-2005, 09:33 PM
boatDoc
Your doing great!
Thanks for the info.
:)

DarthVMAX
02-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Were WAITING......... :confused:

:p

SCAngler
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM