PDA

View Full Version : New computer - how to add Harddrive to xp

Michael Martin
02-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I want to add an additional harddrive to windows xp so how do I do it?

I mean how do I get the system to reconize it. I have installed it physically...
Mike

ggoody
02-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I want to add an additional harddrive to windows xp so how do I do it?

I mean how do I get the system to reconize it. I have installed it physically...
Mike

In XP, its simple. Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. Click on Disk Management. Right click on the new drive, and select create partition.

Scream And Fly
02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Mike, if this is a physical drive, then WinXP should have already recognized it. What type of drive is this, IDE, SCSI, SATA? What configuration, RAID? Are you using an outboard disk controller?

Greg

Jay R.
02-04-2005, 06:51 PM
it's possible you forgot to change the jumpers. make sure on says master and one is slave.

CrayzKirk
02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Most drives now come configured as cable select. This means that depending on where you put it on the cable, it is automatically configured as master or slave. If Win XP doesn't recognize it, make sure the computer bios is set to automagically detect devices. Sometimes, the bios is set to simply look at the master on each channel and ignore the slave devices since most computers come with a single hard drive on the primary channel and a cd-rom drive on the secondary channel.

As far as Win XP goes, it probably does contain a utility for partition the drive as NTFS and then format. After that, you should be good to go.

Kirk S.