PDA

View Full Version : paint for yamaha mid

whatsamerc??
01-30-2005, 10:10 PM
where can i find the bluish silver paint to match the color of my mid? getting a bobs ex snout welded on and i want it to look as close to factory as possible.

Yamaha 225
01-31-2005, 02:40 AM
The original paint on aerosolboxes are in fact the paint that lasts the longest time. Use a rubbing and polish afterwards and it will give a good impression on you. Strong paint.... Car paint is not as good as the original, but more glossy...

Post a pic when you have painted it!

fijjity
01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I have painted quite a few of them with automotive. The paint store I use locally has a scanner to scan the paint and I can have it mixed exactly to match the color of whatever I am painting. There are also additives there that can be put in the paint to give it different degrees of gloss. I had to search quite a bit to find a place that had all the products. Once you find one, they can be a great help to ya. I have had limited success with the aerosols. The ticket to gettin paint to stick good is preparin the surface properly. Good luck!!

Fish
01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
I picked up some at the yamaha dealer. Stopped at walmart and got some clear-coat to go over it. A little steep (like $10 a can) but worth it for the matching.

fish

whatsamerc??
01-31-2005, 08:08 AM
thanks i will try a dealer first but it is about 150 miles away and i am about to go on nights for a few weeks so it might be a little while b4 i get it done.

Fish
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
thanks i will try a dealer first but it is about 150 miles away and i am about to go on nights for a few weeks so it might be a little while b4 i get it done.

Not a problem, found this on the net...

Outboard paint (http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/84339F/hiLiteSku/84344/&df=70)

whatsamerc??
01-31-2005, 08:23 AM
that aint bad :) thanks this saves alot of time and gas money.

MadTing
01-31-2005, 08:36 AM
They also sell a phosphate primer that goes with that paint specifically for aluminum outdrives / sterndrives. They work really well in the saltwater environment.