PDA

View Full Version : What digital video camera???

Yamaha 225
01-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Hello everybody!

I want to buy a videocamera, but have no idea what type and brand...

Should it be small and lightweight or big and heavy?? I guess the heavy stuff would make a more stable picture? But it would be great too to have a small amera that is easy to use without people seeing that I am recording... Battery capacity is also important when going on boating holiday.....

All help would be greatly appreciated!!

Spd-Kilz
02-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Sony Handycam line is pretty nice :rolleyes:

Scream And Fly
02-05-2005, 03:30 PM
That all depends on your budget and what your intended use is. Personally, I prefer Canon Mini-DV cams.

Greg

Yamaha 225
02-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Thank you! I will send a CD to you with some videos you can put in your member/reader submitted videos section. Too long since there were some new and hot videos now.... Only way to make it good is to do something about it on my own...

Erik

TACO
02-08-2005, 11:24 PM
All I Can Say Is Go Sony. I Have Put These Things Through Some Real Abuse And They Keep On Working. 225 Are Really In Norway? My Family Has A Summer House There Some Where And I"ve Never Been There. Going To Be In Holland I 3 Weeks. I"ll Wave North. Taco

Yamaha 225
02-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi Taco! Where is the summer house? Are your family from here from the beginning?

I'll go with Sony. Espens Sony cam has worked in all unthinkable conditions....

Have a nice day everybody!!

pyro
02-11-2005, 11:59 AM
If you get a Sony, don't waste money on a cheap model. The cheap ones use "Steady Shot" image stabilization. The better models will have "SUPER Steady Shot", those are the ones you want to look at. There's a HUGE difference.

I have a Digital 8 TRV-840, and I am happy with it.

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Greg, what do you think about the Cannon Optura XI Mini DV? It looks more like a camera and not a walkman...LOL! Cost about a grand.... still looking...

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Wow! What a price difference. Been looking on line from $1260 to $750! :eek:

Scream And Fly
02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Paul, the Optura is a great camera - much better than most consumer models. It uses optical image stabilization instead of digital image stabilization, which is the real way to go. The next step up after the Xi is the GL2, which is a pro-level cam.

Greg

pyro
02-26-2005, 04:02 PM
The SONY models with Super Steady Shot utilize the optical stabilization. The cheaper "Steady Shot" models use the crappy digital stabilization. Huge difference.

For some reason, all the videos I shoot on my TRV-840 seem to be "overly sharp", the video is not as "soft" looking. Also, the colors always seem to be a bit dull, especially if the sun isn't directly overhead. Otherwise, it works OK...

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 06:58 PM
I'll look at the Sony too. Thanks guys. So...... can video from this thing be loaded to a computer? Formated to where is can be posted on the internet?

Software does that?

Getting ready for a cool trip. Got until the 17 of March to get set up. Gonna bring back some really good footage to share!

:)

Scream And Fly
02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Paul, yes and yes. Mini-DV is the only way to go, especially for what you want to do. Windows XP even includes a free video editing program, Windows Movie Maker 2. It's nothing fancy, but it's reliable, easy to use, and a good way to learn how to edit video.

Greg

Spd-Kilz
02-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Most likely through the form of Firewire, or a IEEE 1394 connection. If your PC does not already have it, its about $75-100 to purchase a card/cable combo. And like Greg said, some come with software, but even XP does:cool:

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Oh, yea, do you guys have any oneline stores that are your favorites?

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/

http://www.calibex.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.smarter.com/

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Most likely through the form of Firewire, or a IEEE 1394 connection. If your PC does not already have it, its about $75-100 to purchase a card/cable combo. And like Greg said, some come with software, but even XP does:cool:

OK, here's a dumb question. How do I know if I have it? I have a fairly new Dell desktop and an 8200 notebook.

Scream And Fly
02-26-2005, 07:17 PM
When I buy electronics online, I go to newegg.com - I've never had a problem with them. S&F actually has an account with them. I can't comment on anyone else, but always check the bbb.org and resellerratings.com for any information on those vendors.

Greg

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Greg. That's where I bought the new hard drive for my notebook.:)

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 07:47 PM
They don't have that particular model.

Forkin' Crazy
02-26-2005, 09:17 PM
What's the dif between a MultiMediaCards and SD Memory cards?

Spd-Kilz
02-26-2005, 09:34 PM
OK, here's a dumb question. How do I know if I have it? I have a fairly new Dell desktop and an 8200 notebook.

Go to Start>Accesseries>System Tools>System Information, then Memory or something, I did that, and I have highlighted my IEEE 1394:)

Also, just look at all the connections, if you see one that looks like USB, but doesn't fit USB then you have Firewire.

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/8594/firewire6vx.jpg

Forkin' Crazy
02-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Greg and Chris!

Wow! The cheaper places are scam artist as far as the feedback resellerratings.com!!!

No firewire. Guess I'll have to put that on my list. Any one know how hard it is to install? I guess I can get one for my laptop too.

I got my last camera at Beach Camera. There are a couple of others. Thanks again!

Spd-Kilz
02-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Its very simple. It simply goes into a PCI bus connection. They give instructions, and it's pretty self explanitory anyways. It's no different from adding say a Network card, or a sound card?:eek:

Scream And Fly
02-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Paul, your Dell Inspiron 8200 should already have a Firewire "mini port". It's labeled "1394" on the side of the machine.

Greg

BottomsUp
03-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I bought a dazzle 150 from dell. It hooks up firewire style and if you don't have that they have options.You can make movie sound background effects. a complete movie making sytsem. You can get video from all sources even beta vhs tv cable all of it. I spent 250 on a burner and dazzle. My sony hi 8 is what I record from. It is the way to go. Ipower all of this with a dell 2400 dimension.

Bottoms up out

hsbob
03-03-2005, 10:26 AM
pyro is right go for a camera with opitcal stabilization. the electronic is ok but in a moving boat marginal. also go for progressive scann. the if you want a picture it will be clear vs the interlaced fuzzy. look at the cannons over $1000 they will have these fechures.

Forkin' Crazy
03-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I got it last Friday from Beach Camera. Camera hand book has over 170 pages, and the two software hand books are over 100 pages! :eek:

The Canon Optura Xi is awesome!!! I have been practicing :) and have already acomplished down loading it to my laptop.

Going to bring back some cool footage from San Fran and Havasu!

Thanks again!!! :D