PDA

View Full Version : Faded bow.

88 V-King
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey Guys,

The front surface of my V-King is fading/ oxidized. It feels rough to the touch rather that smooth as it should. I think it probably got this way from wate sitting on it when the old owner didn't look after it very well while it was being stored. V-King owners will know what I'm talking about with water sitting on the bow.. The rest of the boat is good. The odd scratch from rubbing on docks and stuff, but it's pretty clean for an 88 boat.

Any advice? Can this be re-stored?

I don't want to paint & gel coat the whole boat, waste of $$, can I just do the bow- possibly in a darker blue? How much should I expect to pay for this?

Thanks,

Bill

skidoo29
01-27-2005, 02:51 PM
depends on how bad it is,
you should be able to wet sand it out just take your time and make sure you don't go too deep.

warren

88 V-King
01-27-2005, 03:03 PM
What grit of paper would you suggest?

It feels pretty rough to the touch.

WATERWINGS
01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Sand it and spray on a new coat of clear, it will look brand new.

Dukeofchippewa
01-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I would suggest some Liquid Ebony first.

TNT
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
you will most likely wanna start out with 1000 or 1200 grit wet then work up to the buffin stages

mxz
01-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Is it metalflake? If it is and it feels rough then the clear gelcoat is pretty well gone and the flake is coming though. Only way to fix it would be to regel or spray clearcoat as waterwings said. Might want to let John Spaith have a look at it, he is in your area and is awsome at repair work. He is the Canadian builder for Hydrostreams. Do a search through the posts and you should be able to find his phone #.

88 V-King
01-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Yep, it's got flake, and it's rough.

I spoke to John in the fall, I'd planned on towing it up to Brechin for him to look at this spring. I need a new windsheild so I have to go see him anyways. My boat is actually a similar colour to your's mxz,

How much should I be paying for him to spray on some clear coat? I don't want to spend too much as it'll probably happen again in time.