PDA

View Full Version : What adhesive to use?

Forkin' Crazy
01-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I have a steel powder coated trailer that I am going to clad with aluminum diamond plate.

To keep the rattling down and use less fasteners I am going to use some adhesive.... I was going to use windshield urathane, but my buddy says to use liquid nails.....? What to do?

Thanks. :)

mjwalters
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I think 3m 5200 would be the way to go

Reese
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
5200 might work...not really sure.

If 5200 cures between two non porous materials and it remains flexible over time then it would probably work.

For example JB weld does not perform all that great on flat panels that expand and contract...too brittle and cracks begin to form...soon the panel is loose.

Automotive supply stores carry two part panel adhevises...very strong and depending on which type stay flexible over time.

Best product I've ever used is two-part polysulfied (west marine carries it), but it only comes in black...does not come in a tube dispensor...cannot be painted...and makes the biggest mess in the world. But for sound isolation and flexibility it's hard to beat.

Hottrucks
01-25-2005, 02:10 PM
First off if you fasten the two unlike materials together your in for a world of hate a discontent after a while( less than a year) they will start to carode ?? (spelling) and it will look like poop around all fasteners.I would try putting a rubber strip down ( I have it by the roll 1" wide) Then some well placed fasteners in a 12" pattern around your frame will look good, no rattle and last for ever. While writing this and looking at your pic I think some large head rivets (say 1/2")would look cool and keep the deck smooth!!!!
Just my $.02 and experiance

Forkin' Crazy
01-26-2005, 12:39 PM
I understand disimilar metal corrosion. The trailer frame is steel that is powder coated. I even drilled all the holes before it was powder coated. All the fasteners are 1/4" SS button socket head bolts.

I am thinking the windshield urethane will work, but I am going to look at he 5200.

:)

Gordie Miller
01-26-2005, 12:51 PM
as to the bunks, BOLT them on with bolts and nuts. Coming up from the bottom with screws like all manufacturers do it is NOT the right way, albeit the cheapest.

Ky River Rat
01-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Want to see a picture when it's done

Kenny

Forkin' Crazy
01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks again guys. Looks like I am going to use the 3M 5200 P.N. 06504. :)

Reese
01-27-2005, 03:49 PM
5200 is a lot cheaper than two part panel adhesive...I'm doing the same thing to my trailer.

Creed Poole
01-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Several of the enclosed car hauler companies are now using adhesives for their side panels. I would contact via phone or e-mail trailer companies like Pace American, Haulmark, etc. These are national compaines but I am sure you can find some close to where you live and could examine them up close. I wish someone would have told me about the adhesive before I ordered a 38 foot enclosed Pace.

My 2 cents.

BUSHWACKER
02-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Nice job, so much 4 the trailer, how much beer is in the frig :D

Forkin' Crazy
03-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Want to see a picture when it's done

Kenny

:)

BTW, Bushwacker, no beer in the fridge. Drank it all...;)

Ky River Rat
03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Looks very nice and a great job

Thanks Kenny