PDA

View Full Version : kerosene + Deisel in a power stroke?

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
just wondering how much kerosene to mix with x amount of deisel?

any one have any ratio that they run at?

dads powerstroke has 150000 miles and some times does not start in the cold...

help!
kevin :confused:

Hottrucks
01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Well you made it thru the break in good for you. All I can say is I use Power Plus There are a bunch of fuel additives on the market But I have used this in my commecial trucks and never had a gell problem even in my large car plow trucks. They always start well and no water problems either. All I can say if this doen't work keep it plugged in and change the fuel filter !!
As far as a splash of kero if you could throw in a quart or a gallon in the tank it won't hurt kero is just refined diesal kinda like putting av gas in your car!

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 05:44 PM
the motors got 150k on it will kerosene ask too much of the motor? it wont hurt it will it?

Hottrucks
01-21-2005, 05:51 PM
at 150k it's just broke in remember diesals turn slow 2800 rpm max compared to gas 5000rpm
stick with a tune up and some electical fluid in the outlet first. It was -22 this morning and mine started after sitting 3 days I just plugged it in for an Hour or so. The fuel suplements are great stick with them they're as cheap as kero and you can buy them anywhere including Wlly world

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
if its plugged in there is no problem but anything under 30* it will not start and will kill the batteries b4 it starts... dad has had to throw some starting fluid in to get it goin past few days!

is there any upgrade for the glow plug system? like a better heating system or sumting?

Hottrucks
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
meet me in the chat if ya like (now)
but if the heaters are working and it won't start batteries are getting old and need to be changed out you asking the most when they are weakest

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
sorry the chat doesnt help... so you say get 2 new batteries b4 running kerosene? any certian battery you suggest? :confused:

thanks!
kevin

Hottrucks
01-21-2005, 06:21 PM
try again I'm in there with shenn777 now I saw you go in and out
All the cranking amps that fit in the hole

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
the chat thing never workes?
the batteries are 1 yr old any other causes?

thanks for your info!

eautosales
01-21-2005, 07:11 PM
it was -15 here today before the wind chill i rescued a new freightliner with a n-14 cummins this moring it was jelled up i use 911 additive its available at napa & works great i changed the fuel filter also due to the jelling
the ford powerstroke wont start easily with weak batterys i would test the batterys 1st

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 07:13 PM
can i get a better fuel filter (do you know of one?) that will reduce this effect?

thanks guys!

Charlie M
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Is Kerosene died? Its not a taxed fuel and if cought what is the fine?

Be careful with those glow plugs and starting fluid!!!

Do you know how to check the glow plugs individual?

Hottrucks
01-21-2005, 09:46 PM
ok when the truck starts tommorow??? try the heat right off if it feel warmish then your block heater is working. the other thing is touch the block with your hand it will feel warm if its -25 outside. as far as filter I have good luck with WIX in my diesals

Kero is clear and there is no road tax but is more expencive then reg deisal however and this will change by state but in NH it's about $0.45 a gallon cheaper to run the died fuel (which is the same as reg just with die in it, trust me I move thousands of gal of both) but the .45 covers raod use tax . If caught the fine in NH is $1000 plus $50 per gallon in your tank(s) by the way it -16 now

valero1990
01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
you should not use starting fluid in a diesel! if you need something use some wd-40 cause it will not hurt the engine cause it is like kero & oil. done it many times before on construction equipment. even smells good coming out of the exhaust!

baja200merk
01-21-2005, 10:59 PM
the block heater works but theres no power in the parking lot...
so the wix fuel filter and "911" additive?
can you use the additive all the time with out doin damage?

Hottrucks
01-22-2005, 11:43 AM
yea additives just keep the system clean kinda like putting dry gas in the summer. Valero is right try to keep away from the starting fluid. Get an extention cord or find a new place to park. Most places will have a diff parking place that will give you access to a plug if you ask around. if it's at work talk to maintance you my be able to park near a door even if you leave the keys incase they have to move it.
Here's a great trick if your as dumb as me Put the electric cord around the mirror on the drivers door you won't drive off with it like some people do.

150aintenuff
02-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Kevin REPLACE THE GLOW PLUGS!!!! 80 bucks and your starting problems will stop.... DONT SCREW with Kerosine in that ingine the injector seals dont like it nand neither does the pump system... I just did glow plugs on my truck and it takes about 3 hours
with out a block heater and a good glowplug set ing the engine that engine "SHOULD" start to -20* I was to the point where it wouldnt start below 75* without starting fluid...(no glow plug function at all) put in new plugs and went from 15Min of blue smoke while warmingup to instant starts again...

you just need new glow plugs and a 3/8th" or was it 10mm Deep 1/4" drive socket on a 6" extension to r&r the old ones. the wiring just slides off and the plugs screw out easilly hardest part is getting the valve covers off.

Propster
02-07-2005, 02:48 PM
My friend had a new aftermarket device on his Powerstroke. It had a remote start feature where he could start it by pushing a button on his key fob. He could also set it to start automatically when the cab got down to a certain temperature. It would start every couple hours, warm up and turn off. it was 20 below in Canada and it worked great all weekend. I can find out who makes the device if anyone wants one.

Hottrucks
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Kool I'd love to know and how much they are !!
The only problem with that thing starting in the middle of the night is I would probablly shoot my own truck full of holes thinking someone is trying to steal it??

150aintenuff
02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
you can disable the auto start with the keyfob as well to keep the bullets from flying..

but you still need to have a good set of glow plugs for it to start right regardless of what or how it starts up

Propster
02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
My friend says his auto start module was made by Automate. He said Clifford makes them too. He had it installed at Car Toys, not sure if you have those on the east coast. He said he could set it to start at a certain temperature or at timed intervals. The idea is to keep the block warm enough so it always starts.