PDA

View Full Version : Not Dell, McAfee, or M.S. can help me. Can you?

Dukeofchippewa
01-15-2005, 04:05 PM
On my networked computer I can access all sites except any McAfee sites. It comes up with page can't be displayed after sitting there for about 5 min. It won't let me update antispyware. Auto update for Virus works, and I can do a manual update from Security Center for Virus. Using IE 6, and SP2. Anyone out there knows more than above mentioned?? :confused:
Thanks

Spd-Kilz
01-18-2005, 08:04 PM
What router are you using? I had to change my MTU number to 1400 from the stock 1492 to get some sites to load like Microsoft, and to get my Outlook and MSN Messenger to connect.

Dukeofchippewa
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I have no idea what a router or an MTU is.:confused:

Fish
01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
when was the last time you did a virus scan with updated definitions and also the last time you scanned for spy/adware? what are you using for antispyware? viruses and spyware are getting smarter. Some will disable parts of your virus or spyware programs to keep them from being deleted. dont know if this is the case with your computer, but it can't hurt to make sure you don't have any crap in there.

Dukeofchippewa
01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
McAfee does an auto update so definitions are up to date. Using Ad-Aware SE anti spyware. McAfee gave me instructions for a DOS scan, said it would automatically delete what ever it found. Been kinda scared to use it, are you familiar with this?:eek: :o :confused: Thanks

steve
01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Is it a Java page? You may need to download the Java software from Sun micronetics. They and Microsoft had a battle over things and Microsoft pulled java out of their items and sometimes there are pages that screwup if you don't have the actual Java originator files on your PC. Thats what I found anyway. Might be worth a try, can't hurt.

Dukeofchippewa
01-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know if I have Java on networked computer, I'll check when I can get Mimi off it. Thank you all for the help. I'll let you know.

150aintenuff
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
im not a software expert but sounds to me like a brouser hijack or lack or required files to display site. try going in to command line and typing this command at prompt

c:ping (enter web address here) and press enter it should tell you the rate it connected over 4 trys if it doesnt connect on one site but it does another it isnt on your end of the WWW so see if your connection is physically able to connect to that site first. if it is connection then it is a problem with your browser. there are many other browsers outhere rather than IE v6 so just download a free one (opera or netscape are both free) and see if they will connect and display the site and if they do use your instalationdisks to do a repair to the windows application. Also I have seen problems with SP2 causing websites not being displayed and overall poor performance in comparison to SP1 so if problem started after loading SP2 try uninstalling that first as there were MANY changes to the kernal of the OS that delt with security and adware and such so maybe something accidentally got shut off that was needed by that site.

Dukeofchippewa
01-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Ok I'll give it a try. Thanks

Duke

BUSHWACKER
01-22-2005, 01:39 AM
These here Tv's with keyboards ain't made for us retarded senile citizens, try what the youngun's tell ya, if that don't work smash it with a hammer an get a Dell Dude, & MSN works 4 me :D

Dukeofchippewa
01-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Got two Dells now, newest one don't work: 2.4m 640m Ram 19" Mon. Well it works for everything cept McAfee. Uninstalled McAfee, installed AVG. No virus or spyware found, guess next step uninstall SP2.

transomstand
01-23-2005, 06:41 AM
I just did an update on Mcafee, check your pop-up blocker. It needs to be off or set to allow the Mcafee site.

Pete

Dukeofchippewa
01-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks Pete, so far I've uninstalled McAfee antispyware, virus scan, firewall, security center, sp2, my popup blocker, run dos virus scan, installed avg antivirus. I still can't access McAfee.com or Windows update. Think I said sh** once or twice. Think I'll try re-installing xp.:(

transomstand
01-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Have you tried a system restore from a date before the trouble started?

Dukeofchippewa
01-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Good idea, I'll try that before re-doin xp. Thanks

Dukeofchippewa
01-27-2005, 03:03 PM
OK I hope this will help someone in the future.
On Dells advice I formatted my hard drive, my ISP advised MS new anti spyware, Re-installed everything, this morning I installed a new network hub. Still could not access the web, said shucks, gosh darn, and something else that got a comeback from Mimi.:confused: After all that, by accident I found that the firewall on master got turned on and blocked slave from the web. Works fine now.:mad: Still got 7000 programs to re-install.:mad: :mad: