PDA

View Full Version : Water brakes

largecar91
01-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Does anyone remember the "water brakes" for boats? I think Land and Sea made some. They were pneumatic and had changable pucks.

Cp
01-13-2005, 01:56 PM
.....but I remember them. They even touted them as turning aides for the roundy-rounds. Also remember something in the PR poop like: "Imagine being able to run on the ragged edge and bring it back at the touch of a button" or some such crock. Last thing I want when my Allison is teetering on the edge of boat and plane is someone sticking their foot in the water. :D

largecar91
01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
It was a cool idea but I was told that when you activated them at high speeds, it slammed your nose back in the water bringing on a whole new set of problems! :eek:

rock
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
I remember when I first seen them and could not figure out how they could be that effective. That was before I had a "fast" boat. I soon caught on. I think they were designed for tunnel applications only as they mounted on the transom on both sides. Never tried them or really had a use for them. You are correct about Land & Sea having them.
Rock

Gordie Miller
01-13-2005, 04:02 PM
quite a few race boats. For the most part, on tunnel applications, they are unnecessary as the front runners never lift off the pedal approaching the corners anyway and this is where the brakes would be used. They ripped the back of the sponsons off tunnels and flat out flip small hydros. They were used for a short time in race application and only exist now in old racing tales. I don't have any experience with them on pleasure boats.

crazy horse
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I've had a set on my Viper for over 20 years. I wouldn't drive it the way I do without em. I think I got the first set that L&S built. I've made a couple sets myself but it's been about ten years sence I looked for parts.

baja200merk
01-13-2005, 07:47 PM
would some one mind explaining how the heck they work?

haha
kevin

largecar91
01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
You hit a button and air pressure forced the pucks to extend below the bottom of the boat, thus forcing the nose down. I think that is pretty close to how they work. Never used them. I remember them when they came out but never saw them used. I bet it was wild to see them work! :eek:

LakeRacer99
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I remember them from the old L&S catalogs I used to study. I also remember Rusty Campbell having them on the sponsons of his Comp STV in ModVP at St. Louis around 1987. It may have even been the year he beat Stoker there.

crazy horse
01-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I love mine, I think I got them in 1980. The only thing that I've done is to replace the cly's about 10 years ago and I bought a xtra 2-1/2 lb. CO2 jug. I'll have to try and get a short mpeg of me hittin the brakes at 75+ and spinnin around a corner without hitting the trim. It's real good for rooster tails if you hold down the button with the trim up at about 30. :D