PDA

View Full Version : Melting Propeller Hubs

Perfect-Storm
01-04-2005, 07:49 AM
I am trying to prop an '04 225 Optimax and keep hearing that these motors can melt pressed in rubber hubs. Is this why merc went to the Flo-torque hub? What props, other than merc, are durable enough to stand up to the hot exhaust? Is this just a problem with older Optis that has been corrected or does it still occurr? I have not tried anything other than merc props at this time but would like to. Melting a hub can put me in a very bad position in certain areas so I don't want to take a chance without asking. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

JR IN JAX
01-04-2005, 08:57 AM
I used a plastic insert [that came with the prop] in my flo-torque hub [ChopperII] and melted it twice so I switched to the heavy duty metal insert for my flo-torque. It is "bullet-proof" now.
JR

ON THE HUNT
01-31-2005, 12:15 PM
I have seen this problem on all of the 3+ liter 20" shaft outboards used for bass fishing. With the opti it has been caused by a group of small holes becoming clogged with grass in the adapter plate designed to cool the exhuast down (among other things) be for it reaches the prop hub. You can switch to the metal hub but keep in mind if you strike a submerged object the prop will be damaged instead of the $20 plastic hub.

Propman
02-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Being in the business, I see a lot of hubs and quite a few melting from exhaust gas in the 3.0 liter Merc family. I am not aware of any of the newer Optimax's having this problem. If you are in a situation where you can not afford a prop failure, I would stick with Mercury and use the solid (metal) hub option on the flo-torque props--you give up some shifting shock protection, but the metal will not fail. :cool: