PDA

View Full Version : Vegas XT top end, #%&%! Tach

05-14-2001, 11:00 AM
You guys were rather helpful in helping me solve problems with my rig. Here's an update: I took it out for a ride 1/2 hour ago. The water was glass smooth, so I figured I'd go balls-out. I jacked the Merc up a little higher than past solo runs, and got it to 76 on the Medallion speedo. DAMN, feels good. You all were correct about the motor height alleviating chinewalk, it's still there, but easier to control. So, what about RPM? Well, you may remember my posts about trying to figure out what setting my Medallion tach belongs on. I have it on "4". I have no idea if this is correct, but here's what I observe, according to the questionable tach: Idles at 900. Once on plane, the point where I hear the loud, distinctive "Merc howl" begins at 3000. Top end rpm reads 6000 above 70 mph. RPM stays around 6000 as speed further increases to 76. The readings sound correct to me, but I'm no expert.
Using Land & Sea 5" Hydraulic, Hydromotive nose/lwpu, turning a 28" chopper. Any comments/ideas/suggestions??
Thanks. -Chad

AnthonySS
05-14-2001, 11:48 AM
CHAD,

Your numbers sound fairly accurate.

Based on 6000 rpm and indicated 76 mph, with 1:87 and 28 wheel, your slip is 13%. I think that is pretty good considering your limited seat time.

Any Vegas I have ever run seldom got 10% slip. 11-12% was typical. Your not to far off. If you can get 10% slip you top speed will be close to 80.

I am glad to hear that jacking your motor up has helped handling.

Sincerely,

AnthonySS

05-15-2001, 09:14 AM
The bunks on my lift and the angle it's sitting at keeps me from seeing where my propshaft is actually running in relation to the pad. Next time I have it out of the water on the trailer for cosmetics and transport, I'll raise the plate to the mark on the gauge I was using and have a look. At least I know it's doing what it's supposed to do. The only problem that still exists is the lean sneezing and stalling at idle. EFI's ain't supposed to do that! -Chad