PDA

View Full Version : Jackplate operation

Ac
05-14-2001, 06:56 AM
I have just recently purchased a CMC 5 1/2 setback jackplate for my 18' center console fishmaster boat by Travis Boating. My question is:

What is the best way to operate such a plate? I am wanting to fish areas that are roughly 18". How should the plate and trim be set when trying to get out of such areas and once I'm up, what position should the trim and plate be during higher speeds? I have read and article here at Scream and Fly.com, but I am new at this and do not understand alot of the terms used. Any info would be most appreciated.

Also I have a Fin on the lower unit that I used before the plate. Should I keep this on or remove it? It would seem that I no longer need it. I have not taken my boat out since the installation of the jackplate, so I am trying to get some good info before I do.

Thanks and have a Great Day!
Ac

Liqui-Fly
05-14-2001, 12:19 PM
Ac your jackplate heights will be determined through trial and error. If the fin you are refering to is a hydrofoil on your ventilation plate then you can leave it. It will perform the same for you with the jackplate. Typically boats will plane with lower transom heights and then begin to bring the plate up once on plane. I think one of the easiest ways to learn where you should be is to start with the prop shaft about 2"'s below the pad of your boat; get her running and trim it out until the hull loosens up and flies. Once you are there raise the plate until your water pressure gets too low, tach get too high, or until you loose bow lift. You didn't mention your rig...do you have a low water pickup ect.? David