PDA

View Full Version : Why are fishermen so full of crap about their boat's speed?

Ron V
05-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Was just on the lake and this foreigner with a Lowe 180DZ (aluminum bass boat) with a 115 Ficht says he has had it up to 75 but can't hold it on any faster because it won't handle right in the chop out there today.

He wanted to race for $50.

Dinner was waiting at home so why waste the time.

This challenge came moments after he saw me close my neighbor's mouth for him when he told me his waverunner would run 60. He put his 90 lb. kid on it and he got about 20' on me over a 2000' run. My boat radars at 49.

People are so FULL OF IT. Scary they are on the water.

KaptainKirk
05-13-2001, 07:24 PM
have happy speedos!
And once again your on the water makin me jealous!!
Saw your uncle this a.m. and yesterday!

TTriton
05-13-2001, 08:01 PM
I've talked to a bunch of people that are opimistic on there speed. Many just figure there going that fast because there on the water and don't realize that speed feels faster on the water. I remember when I was a kid and had my first boat. I thought I was going 50 but it was more like 20.

T-REX
05-13-2001, 08:42 PM
My ole Laser only runs bout 80 now...but add a zebco 202 and it's good fer boat 85...now you put one of dem Shindowia jobs wit grafite rods in, an ya lookin at 90+...Jus thank if I actually cought a fish...Damn, 3 didgits fa sho!!!

jimmyb
05-14-2001, 07:25 AM
come on now, fishermen dont lie!!! ;)

i laugh how everyone in my bass club has a 70 mph boat! :) of course very few guys have a gps that they use to get their speeds... most of them would rather believe their pitot tube speedos!

Jay Smith
05-14-2001, 08:36 AM
I work with a guy that is probally one of thr best salt water fishermen on the Gulf Coast as he fished 145 days last year, and along with the number of times he is VERY successfull .He has a 6 years old custom made alum. boat and a 70 hp yamaha that I resurfaced the head only last year and the bores looked and miked very good ( and by the way fellows the motor has been running the Walmart Pennzoil syn since it was broke in )and he says that bass boat people are ego mainacs and thier glitter and glamer is no more than penius extentions for all the people at the boat ramps.... He said that most of those spend all of thier moneys on looks not the fishabilty of the boat.
Now me I don't fish nor do I boat ride all I do is try to make those "penius extentions" faster and faster !! LOL... And thier are some VERY fast bass guys out there cause I see alot of them come tru my shop and see these GPS numbers !! WOW !!!!!

Jay @ JSRE

Ron V
05-14-2001, 08:52 AM
Being na fisherman myself, I wholeheartedly agree that the bass fishing bonanza is just a big show and not about fishability. There are a lot of boats out there that allow better access to more bass water than a 20' Ranger. My 14' Spectrum rowboat is just one such example. An electric trolling motor is nice to have, but I caught my biggest bass out of my Spectrum with a 10 hp Evinrude on the back, an old cruddy anchor, and I think I had only 1 or 2 rods with and about 10 different lures in my tackle box.

05-14-2001, 11:25 AM
Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies.
Ma loved Pa
Pa loved women
Ma caught Pa with two in swimmin'
Here lies Pa.

stan merck
05-14-2001, 11:44 AM
REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A KID ON THE ST JOHNS RIVER USE TO FISH OUT OF MY 12 FT BOAT WITH 20 HP MERC RAN 30 MPH(NOT GPS SPEED), CAUGHT ALOT OF FISH. THEN DAD BOUGHT A PROCRAFT WITH A 140 JOHNRUDE NEVER CAUGHT ANYMORE FISH, I REMEMBER MY DAD SAYING ITS HARD TO CATCH FISH WITH THE LURE DOING 55 IN THE AIR ALL THE TIME.

jimmyb
05-14-2001, 12:02 PM
well there is some justification for a fast and big bass boat. The large boats fish extremely well and hold a lot of fishing junk. Speed helps you to get your spots faster and maximizes your fishing time. Length and size allows you to tackle rough water. This is not your "let's go out and soak some worms" fishing.

I would venture to say that you can make much more money bass fishing than you can boat racing! remember, if it wasnt for the bass fishing industry, you probably wouldnt have your big outboards to run fast with! so dont go too hard on us bass fishermen!

Jay Smith
05-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Jimmyb,
Great point !All outboard racing makes up 1/2 of 1 % of Mercury Outboard sale the rest is fishermen and pleasure boats motors !

Jay @ JSRE

crowfly
05-15-2001, 09:05 AM
I fish bass tournaments frequently. My boat is an older (1993) Bullet. It's a little lighter than the new ones. It is powered by a 1999 280 short shaft with a torgue-master w/
J.C.'s nose cone & 30" spinelli. Full of gas,three batteries,two people, fishing gear,trolling motor it will G.P.S. 100+. Throw out all the junk & it should go at least 105. Am I lying ? If you think so, put up your money. We'll find out. Have a nice day.

Jay Smith
05-15-2001, 05:56 PM
CROWFLY,
There's Bullets with 260 hp down south that will run 105 mph in a 1/4 mile from an in gear idle @ 1900 lbs and if YOU don't believe that ask Jerry Petifer ODBA lake boat World Champion with a Bullet in around 1998 ! Nobodys knockin fast boats just saying you don't need a fast boat to catch fish! Sorry if we ( I )stepped on your ego! (Feelings) JEEZE!!!

Jay @ JSRE

LaveyT
05-15-2001, 08:18 PM
My thanx to the Bassers!I remember when Jack plates were Very hard to get ahold of and Expensive!If you cant make qtys of Jack plates in the hundereds they are expensive!****, now they manufacture so many they can afford custom Tooling to make the extrusion and sell them for a few bills!!Them guys racing there bass boats also opened up the R&D departments of Prop manufactures all across the nation!
alot of the old drag racers started in bass boats,getting slammed from blowout with stock gear cases!They didnt even know what it was that slamed um!Now any ass.... with a few bucks gets to buy his way in to the Hot Boat community without knowing ****.You used to have to figure it all out yourself!
Yep,when I was a kid we used to walk to school(2miles each way).No gps,no S&F,Damn wippersnapers!

Raceman
05-15-2001, 08:30 PM
I remember in the mid 70's when the bass boats first started getting popular. The local Merc dealer sold Ventures and the big motor was a 1500. He had a bench set up in a room off the service department where he calibrated the speedo's with air. He set em all where they'd read 80 MPH when they were actually showing about 60. He called em happiness meters. The rumor was that his bass boats were always a little faster than the other dealer's. All these bass fishermen ran around thinking they were running about 80 with the old inlines. They used to ask how fast my little Allison would run with the short 1500 J engine. I'd say it'd run mid 70's the way it was set up. They'd always think the bassers were faster till the little Allison came by with about 15 MPH on em. It got to be like huntin on a baited field till they figured it out. All that bunch still believed that the local dealer had some secret that made their boats a little faster and he sold a lot of boats because of it. Far as I know the happiness meters continued on the bass boats he sold with V6's up until the time he closed several years later.

LaveyT
05-16-2001, 08:29 PM
Happiness meters!hahaha.That dude musta calibrated a bunch of speedos cuz I still run into these guys! I just askum what pitch you runnin?What rpm you turnin?At least they could do some research and come up with some "happy figures"For us gear heads:)

MirageMark
05-16-2001, 11:09 PM
We do alot of Bass fishing, as I live around two of the largest lakes in Texas (Sam Rayburn & Toledo Bend). It amazes me how much bass fishing has changed just in my lifetime. I remember when dad would take me as a kid and it was rare to see a 20ft bass boat with anything bigger than a 150 or at the most, a 200 hp motor. We bought a 20ft Champion with a 175 Mercury in 1990 and it was the biggest, meanest thing around. We still have the boat now and just 10 years later it's UNCOMMON to see a boat under 20ft at the lakes!! Our 20ft Champion is dwarfed by 21 and 22ft bass boats today. No more 150's, it's a 225 at least. Back in the day you never heard a bass fisherman talk about speed. I fished for years at the lakes and never new what a 2.5 Merc was!! Today, I see more 2.5's on bass boats than I do at the river. SCARY!! Two things have changed in my eyes. Number 1- People have more MONEY today than they did 10 years ago. A 30,000 dollar bass boat is nothing by todays standards. Number 2- The outbreak of tournament fishermen. This is the most significant reason for all the bass boat speedsters. Let's be first to the fishin hole and the last to go in!!! It's great though, you never know what you might see next.

Mark

1BadAction
11-15-2005, 02:58 PM
maybe they put the speedo pickup on the cav plate :D

NNT
11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I swear my fathers 13 whaler with a new 40 nissan will do 85 mph :D

msethsmile
11-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I know my 17 Quantum (Bayliner) with the 85 Force rocks. Speedo says 77. Are you trying to tell me I've been living a fantasy? Long live Quantum!
Signed,
Looking for 80

triple dude
11-15-2005, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Jay Smith]I work with a guy that is probally one of thr best salt water fishermen on the Gulf Coast as he fished 145 days last year, and along with the number of times he is VERY successfull .He has a 6 years old custom made alum. boat and a 70 hp yamaha that I resurfaced the head only last year and the bores looked and miked very good ( and by the way fellows the motor has been running the Walmart Pennzoil syn since it was broke in )and he says that bass boat people are ego mainacs and thier glitter and glamer is no more than penius extentions for all the people at the boat ramps.... He said that most of those spend all of thier moneys on looks not the fishabilty of the boat.
Now me I don't fish nor do I boat ride all I do is try to make those "penius extentions" faster and faster !! LOL... And thier are some VERY fast bass guys out there cause I see alot of them come tru my shop and see these GPS numbers !! WOW !!!!!
It's nice to know that it's .ONLY those fisherman that use their boats as penis extensions.. I'm sure that the rest of us could never be accused of THAT!!! ;) ;) :D

150aintenuff
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
boy i guess i bouht the rong happiness meeter. mine is with in .5 mph from GPS to indicated.. it reeds 49-50 when the boat is runnin 48.6

Ted Stryker
11-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I've got a 17' Bullet with a Drag Merc that will be running soon... I work with a guy who has a 1986 16' Tidecraft Bassboat with an inline 115 with a 23 pitch Turbo prop and no jackplate... He has told everybody at the shop that he'll hurt my feelings when I get my boat ready, and he's got $100 on it ;) ... He said that when he's on it hard, there is nuttin' but prop in the water and nobody has ever been able to stretch it out all the way yet... I know this will be like beating up a school girl, but I can't wait :D ...

1BadAction
11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
LMFAO... dood he cant be serious

nelsoncat
11-15-2005, 06:01 PM
I love these retro threads!!!!!

Craig

150aintenuff
11-15-2005, 06:34 PM
he cant be serious..... Ill put my fissin boat agains that....... it might even win 2....

Ron V
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Can't believe it's 4 years ago I started this thread.

Rob King can testify to some of the harassment I dished out at Lake Shelbyville a few weeks back. They wouldn't even play with Rob in his Bullett.

Cp
11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Gotta be a record for thread resuscitation, don't you think? Can you confirm, Greg?

75 MPH Bassboat ;) :

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/FlatOutAlly/SandF001.jpg

shook
11-15-2005, 10:17 PM
My fishing boat will haul ass, and that's with 25lbs of chicken livers, 10lbs of
that menustrating skunk catfish dough, 5 cane poles, and a lard bucket full of those nickel sinkers, and on occasion a couple of cases of Falstaff, It's stinking fast!!,so all of us don't shot crap about our boat speed,even though it might smell that way.
Shook

10.5' Tunnel
11-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I think they honestly don't know. It doesn't bother me, just a way to have some fun. I do however, love the metal flake on a lot of bass boats (like those 120 mph astros')

RB in NM
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Agree Dave,

Some fishin' botes run dam fast, some set speed records huh?... :D :D :D

Russ

Sam Baker
11-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Can't argue with David Shook. He's the king until somebody says (or more importantly - proves) otherwise.

Lockjaw
11-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Having ridden in some of the 20 foot bassboats, I have to say, they are much more comfortable to ride in then my 18 footer in a rough lake. Granted my boat only runs about 57 or so, and most big boats with 225's run at least 70.

I run across people all the time who swear their seadoo will do 70, well mine runs about 55 according to the GPS I had on it once. And let me tell you, 55 on that seadoo was flying.

Whats bad is I have a paddle wheel for my depth finder, and with the boat trimmed down, its faster according to that speedo, and when you trim it up on the pad, it actually slows down. Imagine some knucklehead thinking he is getting 64 or so out of the boat trimmed down, and that it slows down when trimmed up. HAHA.

SportJ-US-1
11-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Most people in boats haven't got a clue to how fast the are actually going and marine speedos as a precision insturment suck big time. The water fools them.

THE FAST ONE
11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I've got a 17' Bullet with a Drag Merc that will be running soon... I work with a guy who has a 1986 16' Tidecraft Bassboat with an inline 115 with a 23 pitch Turbo prop and no jackplate... He has told everybody at the shop that he'll hurt my feelings when I get my boat ready, and he's got $100 on it ;) ... He said that when he's on it hard, there is nuttin' but prop in the water and nobody has ever been able to stretch it out all the way yet... I know this will be like beating up a school girl, but I can't wait :D ... HI KEVIN,HAD ONE OF THEM 16' T.C.'S ALSO,RUN PRETTY FAIR WITH 200+ ON THEM,BUT NOTHING LIKE 17 BULLET--ED

Red
11-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Don't lump all fishermen in the same category,most these days have at least one GPS on the boat. I do, so most of us know better. I agree with the above statement. Most of the bigger bassboats with 225's,will run 70 plus if setup right. Hell, I have a 21' bayboat (1650 lb. hull) that will run that and then sum,with a stock 225 fish'n mota.

Believe me?:D

txriverrat2001
11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Had a Stryker that the owner swore up and down for a couple of yrs that it would run 80+. 21ft / 415hp ???who knows???

Finally I get it to do some work on it - which means we HAVE to test run it afterwards - right?

79 on the speedo - 70.5 on the GPS. :eek: :eek:
I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm bs'n him - but the GPS don't lie!! LOL!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

stan merck
11-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I'd liked to of ran that Tidecraft when I had my 14 ft Orlando Clipper with a 150 short shaft in-line. I turned a 26 chopper 6400 rpm thru a 2.3 ratio at a blazing 59 mph. I bet he is barely runnin that and I'd a smoked him on accel. That boat embarrassed quite a few so thought 70 mph boats on the Winter Haven chain.

RB in NM
11-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Here's my Fisihn' Bote's proof, Alli XB-2003, 15" JSRE Pro Max fer power,,,,this was run at 4800 feet in elevation, so they'll be more at sea level..... ;) RB

stan merck
11-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I'd run him with my 16 ft Bonita I have now, 76 on gps.

halveb
11-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Many don't know better it just comes with the territory. It isn't worth trying to tell 'em different either you just have to show 'em and sometimes you never get the chance.

My brother-in-law saw my boat and he and his father were a sponsored bass fishing team and had been around some fast bass boats (I assume). He told me he had done 80mph in some of the bass boats he ran and wanted a ride in my HST.

He came up last summer and we went out for a ride. Got up to 70 and he said that is the fastest he'd ever gone in a boat. He admitted (without any prompting) that his previous speed estimates were inaccurate. I took him for an 85 mph blast later so now he knows what it really feels like. Too bad that is the fastest my HST will go with a couple 225 pounders in her. :D

He couldn't stop talking about it afterward but didn't necessarily want to do it again. I guess it ain't for everyone and that was in a boat with training wheels, just think if it had been in an Allison. :eek: When you run across these guys don't dispute their speeds just offer them a ride. Most won't admit it later but I think their false bravado is reduced afterward. ;)

Jono
11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
To earlier post of bullet bass boat doing 100 plus loaded full of gear..?????
I have yet to see any bullet rig that is faster or lighter than an Allison with or with out gear...... Maybe the bullet would do 100 plus loaded if you pushed it out of a cargo plane otherwise I really doubt it.. XB 2002 260 2.5 2 people loaded gear fish full live well 26 pitch chopper 96 MPH GPS. I'll line up against any bullet any day of the week.

jphii
11-16-2005, 02:40 PM
To earlier post of bullet bass boat doing 100 plus loaded full of gear..?????
I have yet to see any bullet rig that is faster or lighter than an Allison with or with out gear...... Maybe the bullet would do 100 plus loaded if you pushed it out of a cargo plane otherwise I really doubt it.. XB 2002 260 2.5 2 people loaded gear fish full live well 26 pitch chopper 96 MPH GPS. I'll line up against any bullet any day of the week.

You better do a search before making that claim. There just happens to be a 121mph Bullet here, and another that does 112 in the quarter. Search Paul Nichols.

stan merck
11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
I dont think Pauls runs were loaded or even with a trolling motor mounted. I could be wrong on the trolling motor but it was with a light load and 1 person none the less. I am not saying a Bullet couldnt do it. There have been some very light ones made in the past.

150aintenuff
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
ALSO B&WB own
jWTjr ran in one at 104 in a test... 300X 20DC.....

100+ is gettin common in bullets,but does take 300+hp to get there.... atleast on the bigger ones...ALSO isnt there a 250 powered bullett runnin 99.99999

froggy
11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
The bass boat mentality is difficult to comprehend, but bragging about speed is a common denominator. A number of years ago a certain bass boat company, that used brand X gauges, would order their speedometers 10% fast. I asked the owner why he did this and he said everyone wanted a 70 mph bassboat so he was giving them one. Incidentally, he finally asked brand X for a 15% fast speedometer and they couldn't deliver so he switched vendors!

However, now with the 250 HP engines, even the "slug" bassboats run close to 80. Times change.

froggy

Raceman
11-16-2005, 04:37 PM
I run across people all the time who swear their seadoo will do 70, well mine runs about 55 according to the GPS I had on it once. And let me tell you, 55 on that seadoo was flying. .

A bone stock RXP SeaDoo will run about 70 MPH and I've outrun a couple of "90 MPH" bassboats with mine.:D :D

Ted Stryker
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Back in the mid eighties, my Father had Mel Smith of Tidecraft boats build him a 450-500lbs 16' Wildfire with no plumbing and you couldn't walk on the decks... It had late 70's 235 OMC on Alcohol... It ran really well with a monster holeshot but we found it to be very difficult to keep the nose down past the low 90's.. That big hook nose was just ingesting to much air, but otherwise a lot of fun...

Ron V
11-16-2005, 06:34 PM
If you look at how this thread started 4 years ago, the question really isn't about the guys with Bullets or Allisons who actually have some comprehension about pitch, slip numbers, etc. A good friend of mine went fishing with a guide down in Florida some years back who claimed that a 18' Champion with a 150 would run 90 mph. That is the kind of crap I am talking about.

Ted Stryker
11-17-2005, 01:35 AM
You can either make a lot of money, or shut alot of people up with a GPS...

Fish
11-17-2005, 07:39 AM
nothing has changed much in the last 4 years. Almost every time I am at the ramp someone walks up and the usual questions come out including how fast. I cannot tell you how many people have a bass boat, a brother or a friend who has a bass boat that I had better watch out for cause it will blow my doors off. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CDave
11-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Bout the only time I've heard the inflated numbers is from Skeeter owners or most the time it's from friends of the owner that have the infamous 80MPH Skeeters w/ 200hp.

RB in NM
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I hear ya Cdave,,,, it's like that or either its..." I know a guy, that has a cousin, that knows a guy that said his friend's friends' boat is faster than yours"...
RB

triple dude
11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that there's still people that think if a speedo goes up to 150mph, the vehicle will actually do it. :rolleyes:

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 12:31 PM
so yer sayin a BOXTER S wont do 164????? or a Jetta wont do 120??? got GPS of both confirming factory top speed advertised is attainable...

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I hear ya Cdave,,,, it's like that or either its..." I know a guy, that has a cousin, that knows a guy that said his friend's friends' boat is faster than yours"...
RB

UNFORTUNATLY that sencerio could end up bein michael dixon, or the owner of a 175+ mph offshore boat... but most of the time it isnt..

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Bout the only time I've heard the inflated numbers is from Skeeter owners or most the time it's from friends of the owner that have the infamous 80MPH Skeeters w/ 200hp.

becarefull what you say Ive driven a 175 starfire with a built 200 and it does GPS at 80+...... I agree most run high 60's to low 70's.. but there are a FEW that run that fast..

stan merck
11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I know what he's talking about, all those Skeeter Faria speedos read about 10+ high. Some boats will put'em down on the P in the MPH. I got an old teleflex feel good speedo like that if anybody wants one.

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
this skeeter aint stock...... BELIEVE ME!!!!

do da math.. 7200RPM.. 26P.. 1.86 geers... 15% slip... does it not add up????

1BadAction
11-17-2005, 01:05 PM
jeeze, MUST you post whore so much, everything on here you are a friggin know-it-all about, most of the time just saying the same thing other people posted before you... and people wonder why the regulars disappear when guys like you come around :rolleyes:

stan merck
11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
I was refering to CDave's post of a stock Skeeter. The owners of those boats think the speedo is right.

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 01:38 PM
jeeze, MUST you post whore so much, everything on here you are a friggin know-it-all about, most of the time just saying the same thing other people posted before you... and people wonder why the regulars disappear when guys like you come around :rolleyes:

it aint ran u off yet........

action20
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
my bass tracker tx 17 with a full load and a 70 HP runs 39.8 GPS top bolt hole w/ 19 pitch merc aluminum prop and reads 43-44 mph on a very happy speedo. maybe this is where they get there BS speed claims ??????

Jet skiers also lie about speed like you read about. I had a 96 XP that had some very minor mods and ran a true 56-58 on GPS and never got beat by any these alleged 65-70 MPH ski's. I know some of the new ones run upwards of 65-70 mph but this was yerars ago and there were no stock production machines that ran that good.

I always offer my hand held GPS and that usually shuts them up or them come back to shore very depressed.

triple dude
11-17-2005, 02:53 PM
so yer sayin a BOXTER S wont do 164????? or a Jetta wont do 120??? got GPS of both confirming factory top speed advertised is attainable...
...my 1967 BSA motorcycle speedo shows 150. :rolleyes: And a guy looked in my Corvette a couple weeks ago and said,"Wow, it does 200!!!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

150aintenuff
11-17-2005, 03:02 PM
anyone who knbows boxters know they have 175 mph speedos.... and jettas have 140 mph speedos............. only motorcycle I have ridden was an old suzuki and it had an 85 mph speedo and would pin it in 3rd gear.... only speedo I ever pegged that wansnt on a boat...

Hydropromax
11-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Was just on the lake and this foreigner with a Lowe 180DZ (aluminum bass boat) with a 115 Ficht says he has had it up to 75 but can't hold it on any faster because it won't handle right in the chop out there today.

He wanted to race for $50.

Dinner was waiting at home so why waste the time.

This challenge came moments after he saw me close my neighbor's mouth for him when he told me his waverunner would run 60. He put his 90 lb. kid on it and he got about 20' on me over a 2000' run. My boat radars at 49.

People are so FULL OF IT. Scary they are on the water. I READ ON A BASS BOAT WEBSITE THAT A 19 FOOT GAMBLER WITH A 200 WENT 84MPH. iT MAY BE POSSIBLE, BUT AFTER SEEING THE BOAT AND PROP AND SET UP, I KNEW IT WASN'T POSSIBLE UNLESS IT HAD NITROUS. :confused:

Ron V
11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that there's still people that think if a speedo goes up to 150mph, the vehicle will actually do it. :rolleyes:

That means my 19 footer with a stock 150 WILL do 100 mph then. Of course it's a Faria gauge, so that means it will only do about 90 on GPS. :D

Lockjaw
11-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Here's my Fisihn' Bote's proof, Alli XB-2003, 15" JSRE Pro Max fer power,,,,this was run at 4800 feet in elevation, so they'll be more at sea level..... ;) RB

I am impressed that the camera guy could take such a clear pic. :eek:

Allisons rock.

eli
11-18-2005, 04:54 PM
we have them bassers chase us down all the time when we are cruising in our 23' daytona with twin merc 245 carb motors all stock except lighened pistons and rods.anyway its fun to blow there oars off the only fishin boat we fear is a stv. :)

150aintenuff
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
That means my 19 footer with a stock 150 WILL do 100 mph then. Of course it's a Faria gauge, so that means it will only do about 90 on GPS. :D

hell they are that far off in 60 mph form..... so at 100 you would be at about 75:p

jeffbare
11-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Not really an issue here in the Pacific NW, most fish boats are 15' -20' and have 70 - 150 HP, and might hit 40 - 45 mph.

150aintenuff
11-18-2005, 05:36 PM
excuse me jeff...... mine does 48.6......and it USED TO peak at 52.2....... but am down 300 RPM for some unknown reason.. but the 3000 hrs might have sumthin to do with it...

Ron V
11-19-2005, 12:07 PM
hell they are that far off in 60 mph form..... so at 100 you would be at about 75:p

Actually they are pretty close to 9-10% off across the board and from gauge to gauge. I've had two of them and the inaccuracy was at least consistent. I remember Balzy saying his GPS was reading about 90 when the gauge read 100. I found that mine is most accurate around 60 mph; the GPS reads 55-56 at that speed so it's not quite so far off there. Otherwise they are pretty much 9-10% fast. 78 on mine is 71 GPS

Fish
11-19-2005, 12:13 PM
guess when you are used to making a 1lb bass a 10 pounder, making a 70mph bass boat a 110mph JeePeeeEssss'd racer is no big deal. :D :D :D :D

Red
11-19-2005, 02:49 PM
What does the "Fish" in your username stand for then, BS???

Fish
11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
What does the "Fish" in your username stand for then, BS???

Yeeeeup, BS, you got me. Gotta get up prety early in the morning to put anything past you. :rolleyes:

Red
11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry Fish, nothing personal. It's just 6 pages of this fishermen bashing is getting a little old. Like your the only honest group on the water. :rolleyes: really?? I've driven around my share of so called "80+ mph" go fast boats,and have been nearly ran over countless times by this same water savy group.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here. But I thought this site was about high performance boats,not whether or not you like to fish. Like it or not,there are plenty of high performance fishing boats on the water,and I'd bet that those owners make up a large chunk of the membership here. Not to mention the thousands of us that visit here weekly,or even daily.

All that aside, if you ever get in a bad way on the water,more than likely it'll be a fisherman that rescues your butt..........or not!;)

Stoker1
11-20-2005, 05:32 AM
red, you need to lighten up yourself. Its nothing more than a bunch of ribbin' going back & forth. :)

Red
11-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Your right Stoker1, I do need to lighten up. :D I like the ribbin' as much as the next guy,but the back & forth seemed a little lop-sided on this one and fishermen can be a shy group as a whole. Just came on a little too strong weighing in for the liars club.;) I'll blame it on the caffeen...........

Yeah we have the blowhards too,see them all the time at the ramps and baitshops. It's the quite ones that are usually on the fish,or driving by you on the water.;)

150aintenuff
11-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah we have the blowhards too,see them all the time at the ramps and baitshops. It's the quite ones that are usually on the fish,or driving by you on the water.;)

amen to that.... aint that the truth.....

Stoker1
11-21-2005, 12:11 AM
As a middle teenager, my Stratos 179V w/ 150 mariner would show low to mid 70's on the speedo. Having been around those boats long enough, I knew it wasn't that fast & a few close buddies knew also. It was more like low 60's on a good day.

Get a chick or two with you while out skiing and take them for a quick blast up the river. Trim out a little to get the bow up and waving and come back in with it. The next day it was heard around school that I had a boat that was a 70+ rocket~!:D

stan merck
11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Actually the majority of bass fishermen these days own and carry a gps and know what their boats actually run. Most of them know the speedo is junk. Unless they have a Yamaha digital one. They are only about 1 mph off. Its that occasional non-boater passenger that always stretches the speed.

tunnelmike
11-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Just ask Boosta.. He's handed the GPS to several that were close to 90 and couldn't hardly get 70 !! Oh the water's too rough,traffic is bad, wind is blowing too hard, yada yada ! You never know the power under the cowl and that is usually where the speed differance is. Fast boaters are all **** talkin Liars !!! How's that Red ?? Mike

JnT
11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
My fish boat runs 36 GPS light and trimmed out. 32 loaded with ice,bait,people, and fishing gear. Cruising speed is in the 20s. Takes us a while to get there but we catch a few fish! :)
No reason to lie about speed.
But I'll get kinda vague when people ask where we have been catching!

Red
11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Fast boaters are all **** talkin Liars !!! How's that Red ?? Mike<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

:D :D close enough! With a few exceptions of course.;)

We could just round it of to the male species, in general. All y'all are lying bastages!!!:p

tunnelmike
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Girls lie too...... I think many are too cheap to pay to go 100, so instead they say they go 100+ and pocket the differance ! Fargin Bastages ! The sad part is many get away with it. Mike

Pgpd324
01-04-2012, 02:31 PM
My speedo said 68 but the gps said 58.. Oh well it is what it is..

WATERWINGS
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
On my old "Fakemate" (Checkmate copy), after swapping motors to a somewhat "Hot" 2.4 - 200.....would read 76 MPH on the "wish-o-meter".....no GPS back then, but I brought along an old Highway Patrol type Radar Gun, and when I aimed it out the front of the boat at WFO, it read 63 MPH.....

Daang....them things must weigh about as much as a GPS does now a days.....cause it sure slowed my down when I had it in the boat with me....

Scream And Fly
01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I know that's an old post but that is the best story I heard in months. "Happiness meter" LOL! That's great. I find that most casual performance boaters are totally clueless about the reality of speed on the water. I always hear stories about people saying they "went on my uncle's Bayliner Cobra that would go 70, but with the right prop my uncle says it would run 90" and things like that. Same goes for the jet-ski people thinking their machines will run 80mph. I know there are a few very fast machines out there but most riders wouldn't have the skill to run them that fast anyway. I think the general casual boater does not realize just how fast 80 mph is on the water because let's face it, when you're running 60 mph on a boat that's designed to run that fast at its limit, that feels awfully fast.

I remember in the mid 70's when the bass boats first started getting popular. The local Merc dealer sold Ventures and the big motor was a 1500. He had a bench set up in a room off the service department where he calibrated the speedo's with air. He set em all where they'd read 80 MPH when they were actually showing about 60. He called em happiness meters. The rumor was that his bass boats were always a little faster than the other dealer's. All these bass fishermen ran around thinking they were running about 80 with the old inlines. They used to ask how fast my little Allison would run with the short 1500 J engine. I'd say it'd run mid 70's the way it was set up. They'd always think the bassers were faster till the little Allison came by with about 15 MPH on em. It got to be like huntin on a baited field till they figured it out. All that bunch still believed that the local dealer had some secret that made their boats a little faster and he sold a lot of boats because of it. Far as I know the happiness meters continued on the bass boats he sold with V6's up until the time he closed several years later.

Action Dave
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
This is a funny old thread.

I remember a few years back when my dad was taking a test drive on a Chaparal cuddy cabin boat he eventually bought, the owner pointed to the speedo and it said 65mph. My dad, knowing the boat was topping out at about 45 looked at the dude and said "don't worry, I'll get that thing calibrated correctly".

Adam McKeon
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
My fishing boat must have too much "gear" on it.... 3500hp and it only goes 29 kts :) might do 31 if going North with the Gulfstream. Then again, it may be due to the weight........She's not a light lay up at 100,000 lbs.

My happy meter is never happy!

Coryc
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
This thread is hilarious, being a tournament fisherman myself I always hear guys say that stuff. But boats such as Bullet, Allison, Stroker, Norris Craft and even some bass cat's and tritons can really turn good speeds.

JWTjr.
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
I remember this old thread. When I wrote "Outboard Tech" (Hot Boat, 1992-2001) I used to have to start every answer with a reality check, as GPS was not out yet and I usually had to bring the reader's speed "estimate" (via speedometer, usually) back to reality.

Nowadays with GPS at least the accuracy rate climbs a bit...but liars will still lie, even with a GPS. I read on another thread where someone wrote "it's funny how heavy that GPS is, whenever I put it in someone's boat the GPS reports back at least 10 mph slower than what the owner claimed...on GPS!".

When I was in college I repaired outboards and rigged bass boats to pay for my stuff. At one marine dealership where I worked in central FL for several years, the owners used to have me park my race boat out in front to attract customers. Bassers used to check my instruments and ask why I ran stock OMC gauges, when the bass boats came with S-W, Faria, etc. I told them they were more accurate (they used to be very accurate, even the speedometers). Several customers paid the dealership to have me replace their stock gauges with OMCs. One trip to the river and they came back, demanding to have the OMCs removed and their stock gauges put back...because the OMCs were "not accurate".

Funny how 76 mph in my JP boat with OMC speedometer was usually at least 10 mph faster than their "80+ mph" bass boats.

JT

Fish
01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
boat+speed question= lie. i remember going to a race in south florida with my dad, i think it was the keys, in the early 70's. he raced U class, a molonari with a twister II. we pulled into a gas station that i guess a lot of other racers had stopped in throughout the day. the old timer running the station asked my dad how fast his boat went and he answered honestly (90 something). the old timer told my dad he may as well go home, thats the slowest boat that had been in there all day. I was only about 4 or 5 years old and was crushed. my dad won, like usual, guess all the 100+mph boats all brought the wrong prop that day... like usual.

Ron V
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
WOW, now this thread that I started is REALLY old.

OK, so fast forward to my latest bass boat story. Had a Ranger with a 250XS on the back take off behind me on the river either this year or last year. He tried to go around me so I slammed the venturis open on the 2.5 150. I didn't really pull away, but he was just kind of hanging there and wasn't gaining anything. I finally slowed down and let him go, but he wouldn't even look at me. Don't blame him a bit...$60,000+ rig with all that power just got its wrist slapped by a stock 150 on a 5 passenger ski boat with a '70s hull design. I had my father in the front passenger seat, so I know the GPS wouldn't have read more than about 70.0 mph. I'm sure that the Ranger goes 80 with a full tournament load and full livewells if you ask the owner though.

Oh, and one other one from last year. My friend who lives on the river was talking to some guy with a Javelin or Stratos and 3.0 Johnson 200 looper. I guess the guy was laughing and said something like, "man, I got my ass handed to me by a 150 Merc out there a couple weeks ago." I remember the guy, and he was actually a good sport and was grinning at me when I pulled away.

nate.
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
i've had my bote to 61.4 and it'll do 60 on command. to me, thats freakin flyin...

Tom Foley
01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
No doubt that's haulin in a skiff where you are literally sitting on top of the hull with the wind trying to pull you off the seat and away from the wheel and binnacle . On the other hand this old Allison can roll along at 75 - 80 like you are going for a beer run on calm water . As speed increases things change but you are out of the wind so it's no where near as bad as the STV or an open boat . It is a biotch trolling at those speeds though , but you can really cover some river miles quick .

moby
01-04-2012, 08:02 PM
My Sterling runs 83 gps

nate.
01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
haha. thats why i had a backrest put in it. if you are cruising along at 30 and smack the throttle to the console you'd roll right off the boat if the backrest wasnt there.

Cp
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
No doubt that's haulin in a skiff where you are literally sitting on top of the hull with the wind trying to pull you off the seat and away from the wheel and binnacle . On the other hand this old Allison can roll along at 75 - 80 like you are going for a beer run on calm water . As speed increases things change but you are out of the wind so it's no where near as bad as the STV or an open boat . It is a biotch trolling at those speeds though , but you can really cover some river miles quick .

Agreed, Tom. You've nailed it. Most won't understand. But most don't have enough courage to drive an Allison, let alone buy one.

MDevrow
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Running an allison bass boat against most other boats especially in rough water is not FAIR!

hometown45
01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey, my lead sled (Ranger) does OK in rough water, I have had it up to 57 MPH with a bone stock 150 Optimax turning a 21p laser II 3.5" under the pad.

Speed Jr.
01-04-2012, 11:21 PM
If I had a dollar for every mile per hour over the actual speed Ive heard from a fisherman I could retire at 30......:leaving:

mastertrax
01-05-2012, 12:39 AM
On the subject of people who have no clue about physics as applied to boating, has anyone ever heard the argument that if you increase an engines horsepower that the boat will then go faster AT THE SAME RPM WITH THE SAME PROP?????

True story. It makes me furious just thinkin about it

Tom Foley
01-05-2012, 07:42 AM
If I had a dollar for every mile per hour over the actual speed Ive heard from a fisherman I could retire at 30......:leaving:

Damm youngster !!:D:thumbsup:

Thunderduck
01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
They're speeds are accurate (??). The truck speedometer is always accurate . . . . . . . . .

Forkin' Crazy
01-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed, Tom. You've nailed it. Most won't understand. But most don't have enough courage to drive an Allison, let alone buy one.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

steve@scp
01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
my last ranger bass boat ran 105 GPS!!!!!!!!!!!

..............course i was in a hurry to get home and left the GPS on....LMAO

yeah, i had to go there.. ;)

milkdud
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
It happens a lot. Engine screaming all it can do and wind in your face tells all your senses your going to the moon. But its only 60 mph. :)

I have a good friend I took for a ride in my 14 foot Carlson. I ran him around for about 10 min. Got done told him 63 mph GPS you just went (WITH CURRENT) so more like 60 mph true speed. 10 min later I over heard him on the phone. J
UST GOT DONE RUNNING 70 MPH ON THE RIVER ha ha .... my boat at that time wouild only do 65 mph at best.

Another friend about turned white only going 50 MPH. He had NO interest in going faster, and he made himself clear. And I understand that.

Ira Tindale
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I worked at a boat sales place. They sold Champion, Blazer, and Bumble Bee bass boats. I did GPS every boat that I tested and the average speed of a 150hp Optimax, ETEC, or Yamaha was 61mph on any of the three boats. The customers claimed 70 mph! They would never listen to me when I told them how fast they ACTUALLY were.

Riverratt
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I had a digital tach / speedo combo on my 20 sleekcraft SST20 with a modified XP2.6 and I saw 126 on the speedo at the highest but on any time out it would run about 112. Lets just say my GPS weighs a ton because it would slow the boat down to 75-80.

Ron V
01-06-2012, 10:21 PM
On the subject of people who have no clue about physics as applied to boating, has anyone ever heard the argument that if you increase an engines horsepower that the boat will then go faster AT THE SAME RPM WITH THE SAME PROP?????

True story. It makes me furious just thinkin about it

Yep, heard that one. When I had the 90 hp V-4 on my boat, my friend had a 140 on his Stalemate Enticer and swore he would slaughter me. Both of us were turning 19" SST IIs at approximately the same revs and I knew this because I had actually driven his boat. He might have been a turning a few more revs but not much. He thought the boat was good for about 60 mph. I told him that we were turning the same prop at the same revs so it would be pretty close. He said, "Yeah, but Ron, I've got FIFTY MORE HORSEPOWER!!!"

Tom Foley
01-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Ha Ha ! No courage involved here ...still have not held it wide open with a 28 p ET yet for more than a little ways . It's plenty fast , seen 90 mph , thats enough for me in this boat . I did actually fish from it a few times !

SANTAFE
01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Allisons are beautiful boats. Allisons are fast boats. I just can't figure out why Allison owners think they are the only ones who can drive or learn to drive an Allison. I mean I know there is a learning curve to drive an Allison at speed, but there are some other boats that require that seat of the pants ability. I may be wrong but it just seems that some Allison owners think that no one else could ever drive or learn to drive one. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe thats not the case.

1BadAction
01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Allisons are beautiful boats. Allisons are fast boats. I just can't figure out why Allison owners think they are the only ones who can drive or learn to drive an Allison. I mean I know there is a learning curve to drive an Allison at speed, but there are some other boats that require that seat of the pants ability. I may be wrong but it just seems that some Allison owners think that no one else could ever drive or learn to drive one. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First rule of fight club is to never talk about fight club. :D

xb03fs
01-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't think its impossible for anyone to learn I came out of a slow (46 mph 115 HP) fish and ski. It took me a lot of gas and about 3 months to learn to air it out, but I think anyone should be able to learn. I believe it is more a combination of patience, setup, and learning what the boat is telling you. I had to find the right height, gearcase, prop, and weight distibution AND get used to the running attitude and feel at speed. Once all that is taken care of it is just how much courage do you have with the trim button. I know I have not found the max hieght or trim because I have not hooked yet. But I have a best of 85.9 (haven't updated signature) with a stock motor except for motor mounts, reeds and limiter have to be getting close

By the way, measuring motor height seems to be useless except to get in the ballpark as the motor is so far from the pad measure 5 times and get 5 different guess. I havne't meausred it since I got comfortable and jsut adjust up or down by feel and i stopped worrying about an actual measurement

Loaded to fish I am usually only a 79mph boat, I am only 84 + with a fairly empty boat

Forkin' Crazy
01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
First rule of fight club is to never talk about fight club. :D

:eek: LMAO! ;)

SANTAFE
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Got to do something to stirr FC up. Can't get him to come to Shreveport for events anymore. All he wants to do is Farm and make money.

Anyway glad I got your attention Paul. Come see us sometime, and have a great New Year!

horsepower
01-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Got to do something to stirr FC up. Can't get him to come to Shreveport for events anymore. All he wants to do is Farm and make money.

Anyway glad I got your attention Paul. Come see us sometime, and have a great New Year!

He's scared :D

Forkin' Crazy
01-08-2012, 01:01 PM

LOL!!! :) Same to you buddy. I worked from April of last year to August with only 5 days off. That doesn't give me time to do ****.

He's scared :D

No, I just need some help on the farm. Come on out and I'll turn you into a hoer! :eek: :D

Forkin' Crazy
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM

It is not that bad. I had my XB running mid 80's at the end of the first day out. That was with the prop shaft 2" below. When I got the right jackplate on it and lift above the pad, speeds bumped to low to mid 90's and was a lot easier to drive.

SANTAFE
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
LOL!!!

No, I just need some help on the farm. Come on out and I'll turn you into a hoer! :eek: :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WATERWINGS
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I outran an Elimenator with my 83 MPH Vector....when we got back to the dock, a kid asked the guy how fast his boat was....he said 108 MPH......