PDA

View Full Version : hydrofoil problems

mahharhja
05-13-2001, 03:05 PM
hi everyone!! i have a 16ft6" med v power boat fitted with a 130 v4 yam.no jack plate. i have just fitted a early version allison foil hopeing for a better pullout. im running a 20 pitch chopper . no defference in pull out? and wait for it. before fitting it 55 mph on gps now with the foil 48 mph and bad handling? the motor is raised 1/2 "" . so i tried a 18" merc vengence 3 blade prop. great pullout better than last time when running this prop and no loss of speed 51 mph at 5900rpm. so can anyone tell me why it does not like over exhaused surface props? also i have dont have a bad running problem but it does list slightly to the left when running at wot. the motor is mounted 1/2" to the right on the transom. do i need more offset? i plan to run a cmc jack plate in the next few wks.so any help would be great as i dont want to make swiss cheese out of the transom!!!!!!!

Ray Neudecker
05-13-2001, 06:14 PM
The motor needs to be centered on the transom first. Center with dead center of bottom. A setback sounds in order. the center of the nose of the gearcase shold be aligned with the center of the bottom. The hydrofoils are making the choppper hook up harder. This all will change when you set the motor back more.

mahharhja
05-14-2001, 07:45 AM
i allways thought that if u had a big motor on a small boat or powerful setup u had to offset to the right or the torque of the motor would throw the boat to one side. but you know more than me so i,ll centre it on the transom.my mate has a 21ft version of my boat with a 200 merc its offset to the right by 1/1/2 "" when i drive it it lists to one side when running, so you must be right!!

Delta
05-14-2001, 11:43 PM
Hey Mah:
Check out Scaryfast if you haven't already.
http://www.scaryfast.com/Homepage.htm
Go to "Tips and Ideas",then look at #14.Note what is said about the foil being mounted too far back.Good luck,Delta