PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Video

Kavalk
11-20-2004, 12:47 AM
I have a number of 8mm videos that I would like to convert to a newer media format. It's circa 1988, but important to me. I've been quoted some interstellar prices for the conversion. What's the best route to go??

Yes, it is about boats.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Euroski
11-20-2004, 06:54 AM
Stop down at Best Buy or Compusa and look for the Dazzle or Studio packages. Look for the one that has the interface card and cable along with the software. I use Studio 9 software and the card has inputs & outputs for both digital and analog(RCA cables). How fast is the your computer?

BTW, I'm going to get to the bottom of the video issue I sent you.

Kavalk
11-20-2004, 11:29 AM
My laptop is a 2 year old Toshiba.
1.6GHz Pentium 4
RAM is maxed out at 512.
This particular model can't accept more RAM.

I'm not too technical with computers. Is this fast enough?

Thanks for the help. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure I can find those products here.

Fred

ggoody
11-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Plenty fast....You have XP, USB 2.0 and maybe firewire.
And you have at least a CD burner and maybe a DVD burner..?

You have an 8mm camera right..?

Kavalk
11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Got the CD burner and the video camera.

Nix on the DVD burner.

Actually I'm thinking about a new laptop anyway. Maybe now's the time to upgrade then do the conversion to DVD.

ggoody
11-25-2004, 04:28 PM
I don't think you need to upgrade the computer that's fine you can get an externel DVD burner for like a hundred bucks now, I would upgrade the the camera so you could just plug it into your computer, Hi 8 and Digital Video tape recorders are very affordable these days. My Canon minny DV plugs right into my computer using firewire.

Kavalk
11-25-2004, 08:49 PM
I plan on the camera upgrade, figured I should get the old footage onto a new format while the old camera still works.

My computer has done me very well but and I definitely haven't used it's full capacity, but I'm starting a new buisness and want the dependability of new equipment. Extended warranty is almost up too.

Thanks for the help

Fred

merklebob
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
just remember that one hour of vedio time is 19g of hard disk space. you also need to run using the nt format on the hard disk. standard disk format at is limited to either 2 or 4 gig. burning to dvd, one hour of time took 5 hours to convert to mp2 on a dvd, using a 1.8 p4.

my new 3.0 ht with 2 gig memory took one hr to one hr.