PDA

View Full Version : FLYING MY "MATE"

popeyebob
05-13-2001, 12:30 PM
Finally got out to try all the spring setup mod's on my Mate.Look's like we went the right direction.Added 5" more setback,boyesen reed's,louver'd the cowl,off with the airbox
"organ pipes".Here is my question.I am running a basicaly stock 1989,200 hp merc,I have the oil injection off,and I am premixing.No internal mod's.My best prop(last year) was a D.A.H. bluprinted yamaha pro.Now with the setup chainges,I am running the engine at almost a 90% angle to the water at my best trim setting,picked up 4 mph,and over 500 rpm!!.
What is it safe to turn a stock 2.4L power head without disaster??I am turning 6500 rpm.Am I on the wrong side of the power curve?? Is there a power curve??Will it will hold up,without excessive wear?I also have a 26p D.A.H. bluprinted chopper(merc big blade)that I havent tried yet this year.
The setback really help'd pick up the bow.I have a total of 11" bolt on,including the c.m.c.jackplate.
I suggest all checkmate owners should inspect the flotation foam in the bow for water soak.I cut it all out in my boat.It was completely full of water.The total weight I removed was over 200# !!! All in the wrong place.

05-13-2001, 08:04 PM
I don't have an answer on the rpm issue, but I have the same question. I have a 1989 200 XRi EFI, and was also wondering where peak RPM is on this motor. If my tach isn't lying to me (I still don't really know), then I'm running 6000 rpm @ 73 mph with a poorly shop-worked 28" merc chopper. Am I in the zone? -Chad

Instigator
05-14-2001, 07:22 AM
I love the Mates and you have figured out the seceret to making em run. And thats fly em! Set back, set back, set back!!
Interesting too about the water logged flotation???
Instigator