PDA

View Full Version : Cookie question for Greg

MarkHP
11-07-2004, 11:33 PM
I was under the assumption that cookies were used to determine which posts had been read and which were new on this board. I just cleared all my cookies and the went back to S&F.

As expected it requested that I login... so far so good... but then when I clicked 'New Posts' it only presented me with the new ones :eek: I was expecting hundreds. So I guess my assumption was wrong :confused:

What keeps track of whats has been read and what hasn't :confused: :confused: :confused:

Scream And Fly
11-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Mark, you are correct in that the forum cookie allows your computer to keep track of posts read and unread. There are two options for viewing posts - "view new posts" and "view today's posts". I never tried using the "view new posts" option with cookies cleared, since I would not expect it to work properly when I am logged out.

I'll look at it though, but it's probably just that the forum is calling up certain posts from a limited timeframe.

Greg

stvhelm
11-07-2004, 11:58 PM
cookies or no cookies. the view new posts remembers the last time you signed on

MarkHP
11-08-2004, 08:04 AM
I just realized that it must be something on S&F that tracks this as I can logon at work or home and it keeps in synch.