PDA

View Full Version : 1985 XR2, a long one

MadMat
05-13-2001, 08:04 AM
Was wondering if anyone on this board could help me shed some light on a problem with my motor. I bought the boat about 3 months ago with 1985 Merc 150 XR2 s/n 6637001. The engine is quite well used, but compression is within 7% across all the cylinders, a bigger variation than I'd like but the budget won't do a rebuild this year (Parts are ridiculously expensive in the UK). This season so far I have replaced the plugs, cleaned & rebuilt carbs, flushed engine with powertune, changed gear oil, new water pump and generally serviced everything.
The engine has been running well, but on Friday while running at WOT engine developed sudden severe misfire. Seems to run OK to about 2500-3000 rpm, then just falls flat and won't rev any more. I can just hear the misfire at 3000rpm with no load but under load it's a dog. Idle seems same as usual. Something must have failed but I'm buggered if I can tell what it is. I have run it on the shore (no load) and checked for sparks on all cylinders, all OK.
I have measured the stator and trigger, resistances all OK and tachometer still works fine. Checked and cleaned all connections to switch boxes. Re-checked compression, no change, still all about the same. Checked overheat switch for short, works fine. I'm completely stuck, what could it possibly be? I have not checked the reads yet, but then I would have thought if I sucked a read on it would misfire on 1 cylinder all the time, which I would have thought would just mean I get 4000-4500 rpm, but it seems to run OK at lower revs. Please can anyone suggest anything which might help me solve this... I've spent the last 2 months working solidly on getting the boat going, first good day this season and bang, broken, so I'm pretty pissed at it.
Thanks
Matt

half fast
05-13-2001, 08:26 AM
Sure sounds like a failed stator to me.Try a timing light on all the different cyls to see witch ones if any are not firing.Could be a switch box or two.good luck , half fast

stan merck
05-13-2001, 01:05 PM
YEP,I AGREE SOUNDS LIKE YOU LOST ONE OR BOTH HIGH SIDES OF THE STATOR. AROUND 3000 IS WHERE THE HIGH SIDE TAKES OVER FROM THE LOW SIDE. MID 80'S ENGS HAD A LOT OF STATOR AND SWITCH BOX FAILURES. ALOT TIMES THEY WILL PASS A RESISTANCE CHECK BUT WILL HAVE NO VOLTAGE. YOU NEED A PEAK READING VOLTMETER TO TROUBLESHOOT THESE IGNS.

MadMat
05-13-2001, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I will investigate.

Rickracer
05-15-2001, 07:57 AM
It sounds like you've lost a stator. And sometimes they will check out good, but still be the problem. I would be more than happy to send you whatever parts you need. I do ship internationally.

MadMat
05-15-2001, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the offer rickracer, I will bear that in mind.
The trouble with shipping stuff in from the states is airfreight costs a fortune and if I wait for surface mail the summer will be over.

However for major parts for a rebuild over the winter I might take you up on your offer.