PDA

View Full Version : race gas vs pump: Fast Eddie

Dewey
05-13-2001, 12:10 AM
I talked to my buddy at F&L race fuels and it would appear Fast Eddie is correct. Pump gas does have more BTU/pound of fuel than race gas. In a lower compression motor, the pump gas will make more hp than the race gas will.

He said that if race gas was to be used, the motor could be run harder and longer before heat saturation started to cause preignition/detonation. He also said that rejetting and advancing the timing could be done on the race gas motor and that would get most of the hp back, but not enough to justify the added expense of the race gas.

Bottom line - if it isn't modified with high compression heads, the 92 octane will be just fine.

Bill - eating crow

Instigator
05-14-2001, 07:43 AM
I have studdied this before and come to the same conclusion pertaining to car motors. I wonder if anybody knows at what levels do you switch in an O/B??

fasteddie
05-14-2001, 04:46 PM
145 to 150 psi cranking compression max on 92 octane pump gas I've been told.

Instigator
05-16-2001, 10:07 PM
What's goin on?? Still got the boat for sale??
Just had a nice visit with Euroski on his way through town. He's got a '99 Euro w/a '99 Merc 280 at 109 MPH's!!!
See yah!

Euroski
05-19-2001, 08:52 PM
And if I was a few years younger I would have drank a lot more beer and started chaising all those young girls!:rolleyes: Now if I could just get 2 more mph out of the Euro with a stock engine that would make my day.