PDA

View Full Version : converting 460 from auto to marine service

Innovator1
10-31-2004, 03:25 AM
I was wondering what it would take to convert a stock 460 out of a car in order to run it in a boat? My neighbor has an older lincoln continental with a 460 that she's going to want to get rid of soon, and I figured it would be a great opportunity to purchase and rebuild the motor to put in a v-drive boat. I've seen a ton of boats for sale lately with no power and figured it might be a fun project. What all would this entail? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dukeofchippewa
10-31-2004, 06:54 AM
can buy everything you need for it. Sounds like a good idea to me.:)

Techno
10-31-2004, 02:07 PM
The cam is different.
Some electronics. The alternator and such are shielded so a spark isn't open to a fuel atmosphere in the engine compartment. I know the alt is not sure about the starter and think the distributor is a bit different cap wise for a special vent.
The air cleaner is or might be different for a spark arrester- a screen.
The fuel pump might be different even if mechanical.
All these parts can be checked. If they are extremely more expensive than auto use compared to marine replacement then they are special.
A bit on the cooling system but not exactly sure. Since its not a modified coolant I think but not sure there is an anode in there somewhere.
The exhaust manifold. Only mentioned since they are specific for each engine and don't know if yours is available, easily or difficultly.

The block in my Vette is a marine engine. The only real diff is the numbers on the block near the bellhousing are upside down. Harder to read in a car but easier in a boat?
But this was just a block.

captcarb
11-09-2004, 10:28 PM
The parts are available.

The following are different in a marine engine:

Raw water pump. (pumps the water into the engine)
thermostat and housing
water cooled exh manifolds and elbows
carburetor (coast guard approved)
altenator (coast guard approved)
starter (coast guard approved)
distributor (coast guard approved)
flame arrestor
cam

Jim

The Big Al
11-09-2004, 11:32 PM
If you have a Berkley Jet u will have to change camshaft to change rotation. Also rod bolts will need to be changed.
If u are not running a Big block ford now, this might not be the engine u want. Very heavy, but parts are avaliable.
I had a 21ft Sunkist tiger with a Berkley jet, twin turbo 460 ford.
800hp 500ft pounds of torque. very hard engine to keep cool at rpm's. Any thing over 4500 rpm will cost ya money, big money.
Go big block Chevy or Oldmobile.

Rampager
04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I have no idea what the comment regarding the direction of rotation is about. I have a 460 in my jetboat and it turns in the normal fashion???

I think it would be correct to say the cam(and everything else in the motor for that matter) CAN be different but there is nothing to say you cannot drop the car motor right in and run. In fact to get me back in the water last year when i blew my good motor I put a '79 van motor in my boat and only transfered over the brackets and exhaust etc, nothing internal

In a jetdrive there is no waterpump on the motor, just a blockoff plate, The water comes from the jetdrive. In a vdrive I belive most run a waterpump which runs directly off the camshaft which means a special front timing cover etc

Exhaust can be many things from dry headers to wet manifolds or even water injected tubular headers. Lots of options there. (I have a set of 460 water cooled manifolds and risers avail if you are interested)

Alot of the other things mentioned may or may not be necessary depending on if your boat has an exposed engine compartment. I have very few marine specific parts on my boat(exhaust and WP blockoffplate)and its fine. I run a standard alt, starter and distributor.

I've never heard anyone suggest the olds is a better motor than the 460 lol I would even go as far as to say the 460 has some desing features that make it right in line(maybe a bit ahead ;) ) of the 454. partsavail isn;'t as bad as people think if you know where to look.
Tons of jetboats running the 460 and that says something!

Tell us more about what you're hoping to do and we can try to steer you in the right direction

Good luck with your 460 project, check out the "385 engine series forum", tooons of great 460 info over there

Cheers

150aintenuff
04-13-2005, 12:28 AM
differences are

starter(sealed), alternator( sealed), distributor(sealed), cam(bigger than AUTO), exhaust ( water cooled), carb(internally vented), Water pump( bronze), timing gears (roller) Gaskets(better quality copper lined head gaskets) water pump on most 460's are standard belt driven Water pumps not block offplates.. some are though... the thermostat housing is basicakky the same as used in a van and then the exhaust crossover bolts to the top of the housing. the main internals as far as hard parts lessthe cam are bassically IDENTICAL nuts and bolts are sometimes made out of heavier and stronger pieces due to the high RPM running and constant load.

a car 460 will work howefer there is probably 100 hp less due to auto cam rather than marine grind...

SportJ-US-1
04-13-2005, 01:17 AM
It depends? How old a Lincoln? Some of the older ones, 1958 thru 1967, had a 460, but it was actually a 462 from the "MEL" Ford engine family (383, 430 & 462 CID) and they are nothing at all in common with the newer 460's of the Ford "385" engine family (429, 429 BOSS & 460).

Sagabu
09-25-2005, 01:00 AM
The 69-71 460 w/DOVE heads are the bomb. There are a few cheap tricks to open them up to an easy 400+hp.

JerseyClown
09-27-2005, 08:35 AM
I agree with Rampager. I got a 460 in My Challenger. The only work that we did to it when it was pulled from the truck it came out of was

1. Miloden Jet Boat Pan
2. Pre 71 timing chain
3. Crane Cams 280H Magnum
4. Edelbroke Victor Race intake
5. Holley 750 DP
6. MSD Ignition
7. Accell Distributor
8. New Hi volume oil pump

Right out of the box, first time running it, My friend and I ran 65 on the GPS. Spinning a Dominator pump at 5000 Rpms No problems. I had nothing but chevy stuff before, but i really like my big ford.

GO FOR IT!!!!!

My .02

150aintenuff
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
big block ford power... GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! I have a stock 429 cast Iron 4 barrel manifold if anyone is interested...

david martin
12-05-2005, 12:22 PM
;) i have a 18 ft nordic v-drive 12 degree casale drive with a semi v hull i am running a 454 from out of a monster truck all i did was change the exhaust manifolds to over the transome headers and put a electric water pump on itthe boat already set up for a big block chevy now i got pulled over by dnr police and they wrote tickets for no spark arresters on my exhaust,alternater,carberators,the carbs where not marine needless to say they nailed me hard,so be carefull on what you do. The motor itself will work for you! good luck!!!! some advise for you find a boat set up for a 460 ford