PDA

View Full Version : USB Connect

hevysrf
10-30-2004, 12:41 PM
I made the mistake of not installing the driver before conecting the usb, now I can't install the driver. The camera manual says to look for the "safe to remove hard ware screen" , disconect and reinstall, I can't find that window, and repeated attempts to install driver have failed, I emailed sony support and only recieved a rehash of the manual. This is a sony dcr dv101 I'm trying to connect to an ibm pentium4 winXP. What could I do next? Thanks MartyD

ggoody
11-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by hevysrf
I made the mistake of not installing the driver before conecting the usb, now I can't install the driver. The camera manual says to look for the "safe to remove hard ware screen" , disconect and reinstall, I can't find that window, and repeated attempts to install driver have failed, I emailed sony support and only recieved a rehash of the manual. This is a sony dcr dv101 I'm trying to connect to an ibm pentium4 winXP. What could I do next? Thanks MartyD

The camera should work with out the driver...?...Did it detect the camera...?

Did you mean DCR-TRV130.....?

You could do a system restore.....

Of course you have rebooted your computer....?

:)

merklebob
11-04-2004, 06:04 PM
forget about hooking the camera up to the computer. buy a lexmar usb 20 card reader.

its faster than the camera hookup and doesnt run the battery down. cost about $30 at walmart.

plus when you goto some other location you dont need to load driver on their computer just plug in the reader.

hevysrf
11-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Tried the system restore and got the message "uanable to restore, no changes made to your system at this time " Will the card reader work on the camcorder? Thanks again MartyD

merklebob
11-05-2004, 11:48 AM
sorry missed the dv part ws thinking still camera.

the disconnect window is really an icon on the bottom right of the screen next to the clock time. put the mouse arrow over the icon until you find one that relates to the camera sw.

i dont like camera Software of and sort. the only manufcatures Software that is usable is the nikon d1x capture. and you dont need to buy a $5000 camera to use it.

any way get the pinnicle studio software its about 100 or less. allows for good editing and burning to dvd/cd. basicly a down sized from the movie sw.
hope this helps sorry about the first post.

sho305
11-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I've had that happen. I unhook the USB item and reboot. Then I look for the item usually in hardware list and see if it is installed, if so I delete it. I reboot again and make sure it is still gone. Then I do it the other way. Most USB things will ask you for the software however if you just plug them in while its running, though it might not work until you reboot. I don't have xp though. I have had things instal both ways, not really sure why.

I can plug my camera into the usb anytime now, and it works fine.

ggoody
11-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Windows Movie maker will work for importing your video once we get your camera recognized.

Sho305's advice should work.

sho305
11-05-2004, 11:51 PM
I have this thing: http://www.aiptek.de/index.php?lan=2&mapid=31&katid1=8&detailid=28

It came with its own manager that seems to work fine. I had a problem with the battery rusting the contact, cleaned it and put some goo on it, now ok. If I leave the batteries in it a week they die however. Not having a flash is a pita otherwise it works great for the very low cost. Have to be careful to hold it somewhat still is all, and without your finger in view. Pics stay saved w/out batteries, near 40 pics depending.

The photo stuff is ok for minimal stuff, but I use adobe mostly because it saves much better jpegs. Also can do more of course, and I'll forget how to use it if I don't.

Takes about 2-3 seconds per pic to upload via old usb, and usb powers it when connected. Takes about 3 seconds to save a pic. Video is kinda jerky as one would figure. The video editor works ok actually, though I don't know if it would with high quality or not. You can mix sound/titles into it even. I had to get rid of a gift card and this thing looked interesting. I thought there was something wrong with me as that was a best buy card and this was all I wanted to get that day...:confused: no boat stuff at best buy.:)

I've had a couple of problems with usb but every time I just tried a different combination of installing it and it worked sooner or later. The funniest one is my nice logitech optical mouse. I installed it and all, and the darn scroll wheel would not work in explorer...just what I would use it for a lot. :confused: Screwed around with no success. Looked it up on web and found others had that too. I took their lead and d-loaded (free) MS optical mouse software for it...and it works great! Go figure. It has a usb plug that goes into an adaptor for the normal mouse port, as my usb is full. I had to trash the logitech software, though I have had good luck with other products of theirs.