PDA

View Full Version : Trailering with 2 wheel drive pick up

transomstand
10-29-2004, 06:15 PM
I've been offered a deal on a 2WD full size Chevy pick up, I'm looking for some feed back from people that used them. I'm not sure how good it would be pulling out a 3500 lb. boat at low tide on a slimey ramp. It has enough power, but is 4WD needed?

Thanks,

Pete

ILLandowner
10-29-2004, 06:45 PM
I had a 1982 Mach I which was a deep-V 19' boat that was pretty heavy. ( don't know the exact weight) There were many times I had to put it in 4 wheel drive to keep from slipping the back tires and spinning gravel toward the boat. It's nice to have, but not real sure it's a neccesity! Keep in mind that there is some weight on the tongue holdin the back end down for traction. If you had trouble you might be able to move boat foward increasing that weight, but be sure not to go over the amount it is rated at!

Jay R.
10-29-2004, 07:17 PM
i've been towing with a 2 wheel drive V-8 dakota for a while now. had a 21 checkmate that i would pull out with it, some timme on slick ramps. usually if you feather the gas and keep the tires from spinning its not a problem. but i've seen people who think spinning the tires is a better way. i don't agree. for a short while i though it needed help so i would give the boat some gas and push the truck up the ramp. that worked really well, i've seen that used on big boats as well. but if you have problem you can allways add more weight to the bed of the truck!

gaineso
10-30-2004, 04:48 AM
I had my 2500 lb rig in WV behind a 1989 Crown Vic. Ramps on the Kanawha river are pretty steep and slimy. I put the trans in 2 and drove right on up. Guys with 4X4s were spinning all 4 wheels. You just have to feather it, give it just enough power to pull. It'll ease right on up. Unmimproved, dirt ramps, you might need 4X4.

tripledude
10-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I tow my 21 foot jet bowrider (heavy) with a 2wd Chevy half ton with small v8 and 5speed. Never had a problem, although sometimes I have to feather the throttle more than others. Occasionally, on the open highway with heavy winds, the speed will decrease and I have to kick it down to fourth gear to build up speed. All in all, it works for me and when NOT towing, I still get decent mileage.

Scream And Fly
10-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I towed several different boats with my Z28 and never had a problem. Actually, I think it's a great car for towing. I actually towed my boat 1350 miles from New York to southwest Florida with it too!

Greg

http://img36.exs.cx/img36/1500/boat_towing.jpg

captcarb
10-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Positraction or some type of limited slip is a great help. I regularly tow with a rear drive Impalla SS. It is a little heavier in the rear than a pickup, but the real help is the Posi. My boats are not as heavy as yours. If there is someone with you that can help by pushing with the boat, this helps too. I have used that on gravel.

Jim

halveb
11-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I have a 2WD full sized Ford pickup I use for towing and the only place I have ever had trouble with was at the Fox Chain in Illinois, specifically at the State Park. :(

Took two full size guys jumping up and down on the back bumper and 5 minutes to get out of the ramp. Sad part is it isn't really steep but they must import some pur graphite or something to add to the water.

I will never use that launch again. Unless I really have to. :D

Triple J
12-11-2004, 11:53 AM
The wife(yes, I said wife) and I tow all over Wisconsin with our BR2500 Dodge 4x2 and really have no trouble.The secret is Posi and a really good agressive tread pattern tire.I've had excellent success rwith the Firestone Lemans A/T,and the best part that they are real reasonably priced.Believe it or not, she enjoys driving with the Formula F223ls or the Baja 16 SS in tow.Good nap time for me!

race#115
12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
i use a chev extenda cab full size with a 5.7 and i never have any problems .now my 5.7 is a lt1 out of a impala ss but the old stocker was fine as well.i tow my boat at 75+all the time now swaying and hills never bother it.