PDA

View Full Version : Experence with merc 60 hp EFI 4 stroke

blkmtrfan
10-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Does anyone have any experence with the merc 60 hp EFI 4 stroke. I am looking into getting a little 15 whaler (tender/kids boat) and they usually come with a merc 60, either 2 or 4 stroke. Now that being said I would really rather have the 2-stroke, but they are phasing out 2-strokes on our largest local lake and I want my kids to be able to use it for skiing and such.

So anybody have anything good or bad to say about that motor?

Thanks

msm
10-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by blkmtrfan
they are phasing out 2-strokes on our largest local lake

You mean carbureted two strokes, right?

You could go with the CARB 3 star rated Evinrude E-Tec 2-stroke 60 hp motor couldn't you?

Over the last few years, I've seen a lot of the 4-stroke Merc 60 hp motors on pontoon boats around here, so I'd take that as a good sign.

blkmtrfan
10-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply msm

You are mostly correct, carbureted 2-strokes out by 2009
EFI (like my 280) out by 2013, And the 3-starts will be OK.

I think an ETEC would be awsome, however, Brunswick owns Whaler and Merc so the little 15 sport that I want comes prepackaged with the 60 merc. I will probably buy used, but they just started making that model in 2003, so I doubt I really want to rip the motor off and start over.

half fast
10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
We sell a bunch of em.They are all on pontoons but very nice motors with no problems. hf...

blkmtrfan
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info :)

sosmerc
10-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Merc's 60hp EFI 4 stroke (bigfoot) is probably the first 4 stroke that I have run and felt like it performed very close to a comparable Mercury 2 stroke. I liked it.
But having run several of the new Merc 3 cylinder 90hp Optimax engines......I really wish Merc would make a smaller 3 cylinder Optimax to fill the 30-60hp range....because it would be a killer engine. I REALLY like the new 3 cylinder Optimax.
If you could get the boat without an engine, I'd seriously consider one of the new Nissan/Tohatsu DFI 2 strokes...because they DO have some smaller DFI 2 strokes that I hear are very nice motors.
The 15 Whaler is a great little boat...very much like a sports car.
Too bad it's not rated for more power....I've run 90hp inline six on that hull land it really flies!!

blkmtrfan
10-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by sosmerc
Too bad it's not rated for more power....I've run 90hp inline six on that hull land it really flies!!

Thanks for the input, I am not really to concerned about rated HP and such, if I was to be the only driver, LOL, ;)

But my intended use for this boat would be the family runnabout for the kids to drive and used as a towable tender when we take the cruiser out in the San Juans.

So I do want it to perform, enough to be fun, but I realy want reilable power for many years. So how much of a pain is serviceing these little 4-stroke buggers? And have you found any quwirks.

Thanks again scott

Not mine just a pic to get an idea

sosmerc
10-16-2004, 10:54 AM
I serviced one early this year that was on a 16 Dauntless model Whaler. It ran fine, but it had an annoying squeel or whirring type sound under certain rpm and load. Sounded like a bearing going out in the powerhead. What I finally did was squirt some fluid film lube up around the area where the driveshaft enters the powerhead. Something must have been rubbing because the noise would go away when I did that. Merc dealer told me there was a bulletin involving a powerhead gasket change, but this engine was not in the serial group range that needed the "fix".
I told my customer what I did to eliminate the noise (so that he could do it if the noise returned) and we have not had any more problems.
It sounds to me like the 60 4 stroke would be a very good choice for you....be sure to get the bigfoot model as the gear ratio and the larger diameter props will get you superior bottom end performance over the standard 1.83 ratio lower unit. Be sure to run a Flow-Torque III hub kit, it quiets down the clutch chatter that has been somewhat of a problem at idle in gear.

sosmerc
10-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Don't forget, the 60 4 stroke EFI is a "SmartCraft Ready" engine, so I would recommend you get the "system monitor".....it's really the only guage you need as you can "mode" through a variety of screens such as RPM, engine temp, water pressure, oil pressure, volts, gph, fuel used, etc. The system monitor is now available in different styles and sizes.

blkmtrfan
10-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Thank you so much for the info, exactly what I needed, one other thing, how big of a deal is it to change the oil?

It does look like the 60 4 stroke does come with the Bigfoot lower:

From www.whaler.com:

NOTABLE OPTIONS/ACCESSORIES

60 ELPT EFI FourStroke Mercury BigFoot engine
Bow rail (deletes standard side rails)
Bow cushion
Sun top (black) with boot and stainless steel fittings
Swim ladder
Tackle storage

Comfort Package
(includes the following)

Bench seat cushions (3)
Bench seat backrest cushions

Thanks again

sosmerc
10-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Changing the oil and the spin on filter is no big deal.
I recommend using Amsoil OW-40. It was designed for outboards and will only require changing once a year.
I also recommend using mid-grade fuel and STABIL at all times.
I also prefer Mercs High Performance gear lube.

blkmtrfan
10-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks again, but just one more question.

Why the "STABIL at all times" and do you recommend this in all outboards?

sosmerc
10-18-2004, 10:19 AM
It has been my experience that most people do not run their equipment as often as planned and therefore their engines sit around with gas in the tank that often is starting to go bad.
At least if there is a fuel conditioner in the gas one shouldn't have to worry as much about the condition of the gas or potential damage to the rest of the fuel system due to buildup of gum or varnish.
However, if you are filling up a tank and know for certain that gas is going to be used up immediately, well, then it wouldn't make much sense to add a conditioner at that point.
Stabil should be safe to use in any engine that runs on gas or diesel if mixed at the recommended ratio.

skip merck
10-19-2004, 10:24 AM
A friend of mine is from the Bahamas. He said the Nassau harbor patrol use to have a 15 Whaler with a 135 Evinrude. He said they would run down all the twin eng scarab type boats no problem. I always liked the 15 whalers they lift good with no bouncing. The 13 ft ones always bounced when ya trimmed them out. The 17 was a very nice running boat also. A 15 with an old in-line 6 would be a cool a little boat to play around with, not for your kids though. 60 hp or less is plenty on those. I knew one guy who had a 15 with an old 75 Evinrude on it, that was a nice package.

blkmtrfan
10-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks skip, Wow a 135, that would be cool

C-Webb
10-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I think you should also consider the new 75 Opti if it isn't far away from recommended hp-range...

C-Webb
10-19-2004, 01:39 PM
It will be much cooler;)

blkmtrfan
10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Maybe at repower time :D

Only the 60s are offered from the factory (max HP also)

skip merck
10-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Those 75 optis weigh 375 lbs! You could just bolt a 2.5 on it and equal that weight. Man thats a heavy 75 hp.

blkmtrfan
10-19-2004, 09:52 PM
That is pretty heavy for 75HP