PDA

View Full Version : 04 Ford 250 Tdiesel/04 Titan

scott reierson
09-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Still considering a new tow rig. If I buy its either a F250 diesel or a Titan.

F250: Has anyone chipped/air boxed/free flow exhausted the 04 6.0 ford turbo diesel? I've found a nice red lairat 4 door crew cab thats loaded with what I want. What kind of real world MPG are these rigs getting?

The Titan is my 2nd choice. Has anyone had any experince with the titan? are they holding together? Are any aftermarket chips etc available?

The Big Al
09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Let's see FORD SUPER DUTY!
OR a TITAN!

When towing you better have a high limit credit card with the Titan! It loves petro!

scott reierson
09-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Yea, that's what I hear. Titans at 12mpg average and alot less when you tow.

F250 is $5K-$8k more but alot more truck. The ford will fit in the garage and would probably last forever. The Titans a little less $ but at 9000lb tow for less dough I have to consider it.

My choice would be the F250 SD Diesel. Just need to justify having that much grunt at my disposal.

I drove a duramax with the billy dog chip. Big exhaust and K&N pretty impressive. I just started my research on the Ford's. I like the size of the ford crew cab and the potential for 15-20mpg. I hope the 6.0 TD Ford responds to bolt ons as well as the duramax.

The Big Al
09-19-2004, 09:15 PM
well I have a 02 7.3, with chip, k&n and muffler removal.
crew cab, 4x4. 16 to 20mph Not bad for 2tons of pure intimidation! We call it the left lane bandit!

I do sujest you talk to Hypertec about reprograming, Super Chip is very ratical. Very hard on parts.

As for as the Duramax! enough said!

Good luck!

Barefoot Bob
09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
I have the duramax all decked out with the Edge Juice Module. Sold Superchip reprogramers to a couple of 7.3 Ford diesel owners and they love them. Edge makes a plug in for the new ford and gives it the same results as the Duramax. I can get you one if interested.

baja200merk
09-19-2004, 09:57 PM
my dad has a 97 f 350 4door 8ft box 5spd PoWeRsTrOkE 4x4 125000 no problems! im taking it next year! cant wait hes got 4:10 gears atleast we think he does because first gear is pointless unless your towing a million chevys uphill... you go 10 ft and have to shift cuz your doing 10 mph @2500 rpm... so we always start off in second... he gets 16mph city (drives hard) @65mph on the highway hes gotten about 20-21 but ussually doin 75 gets 17-18 because in overdrive its still spinin 2600-2700 rpm not needed i want to change the ratio in the rear to 355 when i get the truck to get some better milage outa it we love it! GET ONE!!!!
hes gettin the 04 f250 harley davidson edition with the 6.0 powerstroke thats the only reason hes lettme have his truck:D :D

kevin:D

1BadAction
09-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by baja200merk
my dad has a 97 f 350 4door 8ft box 5spd PoWeRsTrOkE 4x4 125000 no problems! im taking it next year! cant wait hes got 4:10 gears atleast we think he does because first gear is pointless unless your towing a million chevys uphill... you go 10 ft and have to shift cuz your doing 10 mph @2500 rpm... so we always start off in second... he gets 16mph city (drives hard) @65mph on the highway hes gotten about 20-21 but ussually doin 75 gets 17-18 because in overdrive its still spinin 2600-2700 rpm not needed i want to change the ratio in the rear to 355 when i get the truck to get some better milage outa it we love it! GET ONE!!!!
hes gettin the 04 f250 harley davidson edition with the 6.0 powerstroke thats the only reason hes lettme have his truck:D :D

kevin:D

damn kevin! lay off the energy drinks man and slow down. lol :p got punctuation?

baja200merk
09-19-2004, 10:06 PM
no energy drinks COFFEE!!!!!

DEISEL!!! :D :D

KEVIN;)

sho305
09-19-2004, 10:11 PM
People I talk to say the V10 gets that kind of mpg, but not much less towing maybe 10. Father has a '02 7.3 Ford supercab and a 10K lb 5th wheel. He got +/-12mpg at under 64mph highway. Ran the superchip programmer on it for the medium one to tow (75hp?) and got same mpg except was doing 70mph average and up hills too. Took in-state trip here and got 14 on flatter land with some slower two lanes included. This year he put 4" exhaust on, not run it long distance yet. Put it on because egt went up in mountains in CO.

Another guy has a '04 6.0 Ford quad cab, gets 17 average in mixed driving empty, two lane and city. Took it on about a 600mile trip with a 8' camper in the box highway and got 17mpg. Camper goes to front of 4 door cab and is 2000lb or so. Both trucks 4x4 250s. 6.0 has some passing power stock, very nice and feels close to chipped 7.3. 6.0 revs to 4K rpm, takes some getting used to from 7.3.

I would say if you are towing near 10K lbs or more you need a new diesel, screw the gas unless it is short distances and few hills IMO. Also you get the resale on the oil burner, so you get some back. I just like the things.:cool: Take a look at these big 5th wheels around and see what is pulling them.

baja200merk
09-19-2004, 10:22 PM
any one run banks systems?

how much are they?

kevin

Ted Stryker
09-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm a Ford fan myself, but you might consider a Cummins... The Dodge is probably the mpg winner...

The Big Al
09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
THE DODGE IS NOT THE MPG WINNER!
Not even CLOSE!
FACT!

baja200merk
09-20-2004, 07:56 PM
cummins gets the credit NOT dodge!!
\http://cummins.com/na/pages/en/products/dodgeram/cummins24vturbodiesel.cfm

stvneil
09-20-2004, 08:26 PM
'03 with edge and banks exhaust--16-18mpg and will pull your house down.

ProComp
09-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Well, I have 2 friends with the new Ford 6.0 Diesels that are chipped and they fly. I think with the chip they are something like 450 HP and almost 800 ft/lbs of torque. They love them.

Another buddy has the 7.3 with propane injection and he can't touch them

All trucks have 6" Lifts and 35" tires and they can roast them.

No idea on mileage but I could ask them if you like. One of the 6.0 has a 5" exhaust and it whistles like a supercharged gas motor. Can hardly tell it a diesel.

They all pull travel trailers with their set ups as well. I have been a die hard Chevy fan but these trucks are nice.

ProComp

sho305
09-20-2004, 09:24 PM
I know in that 4 door truck, a '04 4x4 F250 with a 7' box, the stock 6.0 PSD will set you back in the seat getting on the highway. For real, one day he complained he was going 50mph on a two lane in the rain, and got all sideways when he passed a guy after he had it a month. His is a FX4 that came with Rancho shocks also, they ride real nice. I'll ask about empty mpg. Still have not found out who made the 6.0...Cummins did the 7.3 PSD and International manufactured them on an improved 7.3 style block. That thing stickered at $45K, but they gave quite a bit off. Anyone see the new one on TV? Tuff looking. I've been told by lots of retirees the Ford works the best with the big 5th wheels, but there are other trucks running them.

If you don't want to play get this: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-09-13-newtruck_x.htm
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/severe/cxt.asp

:cool:

jaxwaterturkey
09-20-2004, 09:41 PM
If you really want a tow machine wait till the new 05 350 comes out... You will have more power and tow rating then you know what to do with.

Ted Stryker
09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
On what grounds do you base your " fact " on, and if your correct what qualifies as " not even close "? I'm curious..

The Big Al
09-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Ok, you ask!
Dodge Cummins get on average 12 to 15 mpg
Duramax 112 to 16

They do pull hard, but are geared to do so. (cummins)

The 6b engine by Cummins is w work horse, but so is the Power Strock. IE: International DT466-v8.

The most important thing to look at is gear ratio on the rear end.
The single wheel super dutys come with 355std, optional 4:10 and 4:56. Unless you are pulling a house 24 7 you only need the 3.55
4x4 gear ratio is 3:73.
Also the carring weight between a single rear wheel and dual rear wheel is less than 500lbs. ( also 4:10 is the standard gear for dualie's) This is on the Fords

Power Stroke is the bench mark, and has been. Every body else as been playing catch up. And the 05's super duty is out now!

So you may buy the other, And hope you like it well! But think! The Super Duty is going to tote the mail!
And go futher dollar for dollar!

Barefoot Bob
09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I tell ya what...They all work great. My brother in law just purchased the new Ford crew cab Diesel. Two things he doesnt like about the truck is. He cant drive through a bank without ripping his mirrors off and it rides rougher than my Chevy. I asked him if he would like me to hop his up so he can keep up with me. He figured I would always be faster so he is leiving his stock.

1BadAction
09-21-2004, 07:57 PM
bob, how cheap is it to get a little more grunt out of these chebbys? and is it pretty easy to get that bad-ass turbo whistle out of the exhaust?

Barefoot Bob
09-21-2004, 08:22 PM
seeing as I am building the trany's in them. I just finished up on an older Ford (non powerstroke) and tha baby was whistling as soon as you started to take off.
I noticed mine whistling a bit more with the K&N filter and the 4" exhaust installed. Just getting it to breath really made a difference.
The Edge Juice Module is just a plug in and really makes the difference. Right now they sell for around $575.00 for the 30,45,60,90HP model. If you really want to go you can have it reprogramed. (200.00 more) What you loose is the 30HP step. It will be 45,60,90, 125 to 150. That is the way I have mine set up and just set a guy up with an 04 the same way.
I installed the exhaust, filter and module on his for just under 1300.00 with tax

Cp
09-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Barefoot Bob
....I installed the exhaust, filter and module on his for just under 1300.00 with tax

I just can't believe people will spend (whoops) $1300 on their vehicle just to increase performance and economy. geeesshhhh. ;)

Somebody pass me the SVS.

Nice work, Bob!!!

1BadAction
09-21-2004, 09:22 PM
i jus want a little more NADS behind the truck, and for it to sound like an f-16 going down the road :D

also what tranny in the duramax do you recommend? manual or allison?

Barefoot Bob
09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Did I say that...LOL...OK, I do have the Allison Trany also. They told us in Transmission school that the Duramax is De tuned for a reason. Said the trany will not stand for that kind of tork put out from these after market modules. There are alot of dealers out there that will not stand behind warranty if you install a module. my dealer said no problem. In fact they purchased an Edge Juice from me for one of there customers trucks with a manual trany. I have 40,000 on my Allison and it working just fine

1BadAction
09-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Kewl, i dont know about out your way, but most of the dealers here just order the HD package which automatically have the allison, so its hard to find one with the manual... Im getting a 2wd, tee hee, i think i could get low 13s out of it with a bit of work ;)

Ted Stryker
09-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I have never ever seen a healthy Cummins get that poor( 12-15 ) of mileage - ever not once... I have three co - workers whom I talk to at least 20 times a day, all have Power Strokes , and all get no better than 16.5 mpg overall average... Although I can't back this claim, I recently did a few days electrical repair at a heavy truck sales and service center.. They're go and get truck was a Cummins and swore to the Heavens that the truck would and has gotten 18 mpg on the highway pulling a tandem axle and a forklift on many occasions - kept fuel consumption and mileage records to prove it... As I said I can't back that claim, but with the people that I HAVE TALKED TO for whatever it's worth have all with no exceptions found the Cummins to be the most fuel efficient.. :)

The Big Al
09-22-2004, 05:28 PM
OK, I have said enough!
I live in Hickory NC, nothing flat, and when it comes to a truck doing real work, and pulling hills. The Cummings equiped mopars do not do the same job. So, keep talking to your lead footed drivers, and those who want a truck to run like a Corvette! Then take there advise!
I bought my truck to do a job, and it does it well.
I average 17 mpg, and when i want to run 90 mph it get's 12
It will do this loaded pr unloaded.
But in the flat lands empty she gets a easy 19 to 20
So, like i said buy what you like, enjoy it.
But remember when you pull up to the light, with a load, beware
The power Stroke Is going to bust your ASS!
Plain and simple!

1BadAction
09-22-2004, 05:50 PM
all the duramaxes i have seen get 19-20 running 90 on the highway, and 21-22 running 70... :D

Ted Stryker
09-22-2004, 05:56 PM
First off, I originally stated that I was a Ford fan... Just relaying unanimous information that I've experienced and heard.. Second, If I had known you were so dang tough I would have just stayed in the corner quietly!! :eek:

The Big Al
09-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Ted, sorry, no harm no foul.
Car, trucks and houses are something everyone is going to lie about!
They always payed less than you for there car and more for there house than you did!

Well, we have found out one thing! This started as a dicussion between a Power Stoke and A Nissan Titan!

Well seems the Titan is not in the game!

I'm don't ever exspect the truth to come out about what truck is better. Truth is, if you love it- buy it- drive it.
So, what's next!
My vacum cleaner has 25hp, and can hold up a basket ball!
Only uses 1 watt of electrical power! And is blue with gold stripes!(24 krt) .
Only paid 2 dollars at a yard sale at the factory!
Built at the Loony Toons Factory!
Signed buy Bugs Bunny himself!

Ted Stryker
09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I agree on all accounts SS.. We disagree on one anothers information with no personal malice, all is still sunny... At this point I feel as if I'm interuppting with the original thread starter, so I'm going to bow out and give this topic back to Mr. Reierson..

baja200merk
09-22-2004, 07:55 PM
from :http://bankspower.com/BraggingRights_smokestahoes.cfm

Jon of Olympic Valley, California, installed a Six-Gun, Speed-Loader and Monster Exhaust on an ’04 Ford turbo-diesel 6.0L F-350 Power Stroke

I just wanted to say thanks again for the best power upgrade I could possibly imagine for my ‘04 6 liter — more than I ever expected from a computer and exhaust. Not only does the exhaust have the perfect, non-intrusive tone, it also burns lower EGT's than my stock exhaust and cools faster. There is something to be said about a 7000 lb truck smoking blown Tahoe's and watching little import cars rapidly disappear in my mirrors! With that said, I will let anyone with my motor know how impressed I am by not only your knowledge of the product, but the quality, outstanding engineering and the drop in ease of installation of the exhaust and computer. Keep up the good work guys!

sho305
09-23-2004, 03:14 AM
In a 5-10yr old truck, the Cummins likely will get better mpg all things equal. I know a guy with a 2wd that got 20mpg+ all the time though I don't think he went over 70mph. Problem with the Dodges has been keeping a tranny in them. It seems the smaller the motor the better the mpg unloaded, lower speeds give better mpg, and 2wds get better. With the new 6.0 PSD I don't think anything has much on it until another new motor is out. In about '02 the 7.3 was making enough power they had problems blowing rear ends...people started towing dozers and stuff like never before; because they could. Now the stock 6.0 is about the same as a chipped/exhausted '03 7.3...

Like I said before when you get near/over 10,000lbs that you are towing, a new diesel will work much better than a gas truck be it a Titan, Chevy, or anything else. Dodge would say the 8.0 V10 was so good towing, but it isn't. You will scream a gas motor to death and it will get poor mpg all the time. The big trucks have them oil burners for a reason, but now they run so good it is just unreal. You go up a hill with a gas motor on the floor eyeballing the temp gauge, with a diesel you don't think twice about it...unless you put a big chip in then you check the EGT while you pass everyone.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the new diesels now, but you have to figure what you need to pull and the distance/hills you pull it over to know if the extra cash is worth it. You can buy lots of gas for the extra $4K or so. Then there is the cool factor of the diesel, one I value highly but some don't like. Also those heavy trucks don't drive all car-like like the half tons do if that matters. I don't mind it, but really would not prefer to drive my big diesel on a daily basis; I'll take the car to run to the store any time. If I need to pull/haul something, nothing is better. I don't even feel it when a little 2K lbs boat is back there.

That is another factor over a smaller/lighter truck also; the greater safety factor when towing. That heavy diesel will handle weight safer than a lesser truck should you have a problem. Usually all the drivetrain/brakes/springs/etc is much heavier and more durable as well. When I worked at a place with Fords towing, the stock brakes lasted 80K miles towing every day. Hard to complain about that. That weight can work against you if you like to run over mud holes however.

Of course you can chip the newer diesels and add huge gains in power. Can't do that with the gas motors.:cool:

1BadAction
09-23-2004, 07:22 AM
one thing, down here when the hurricanes come through, most of the time diesel is easy to get. gas on the other hand, you aint gonna find, i had to put avgas in my car at one time :eek:

150aintenuff
12-07-2004, 02:20 AM
I can tell you fron experence you donot want to change the 4.10 ratio gears in the older PSD
I have a Banks powerpacked LVL 4 big hoss chip 6" suspension lift and 35" tires with 3.73 rears and MY MILEGE SUX
11-12 HW 8-10 on city... it was 18-20 stock with chip... If i still had stock gears i would put them back in. I converted to 99 F350 axles to get the solid axle and larger bolt patern for the wheels(got freebies) and IT really SUX the fuel down with the 3.73's

Friends Dodge 5.9B 600 gets 22mpg and has more power to boot..

PSD like open exhaust Instalation in my truck gained 10PSI @3400 to a total of 35PSI AND YES IT DOES SOUND LIKE A F 16

CDave
12-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by SSRENGINE
but so is the Power Strock. IE: International DT466-v8.

The DT466 is an inline 6. Trust me, I've rebuilt more of them than I care to remember.

Skatin
12-07-2004, 06:40 AM
I towed a 28ft Skater with my F250 T/D and I had a Superchips Programmer on it. The programmer made a huge difference and it got about 19mpg, 15mpg towing. Gas mileage on the highway depends on how fast you travel. Over 70 mph the gas mileage goes down quick. If you tow a lot the F250 will win hands down.....

150aintenuff
12-07-2004, 11:34 AM
IU wish i was that lucky.... MPG wise anyway... my engine may just be getting tired... it has 230k on it:D by the way the powerstroke in international terms is a DT444E not DT466E

the 6.0L is a VT365E

baja200merk
12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by npartin
I can tell you fron experence you donot want to change the 4.10 ratio gears in the older PSD
I have a Banks powerpacked LVL 4 big hoss chip 6" suspension lift and 35" tires with 3.73 rears and MY MILEGE SUX
11-12 HW 8-10 on city... it was 18-20 stock with chip... If i still had stock gears i would put them back in. I converted to 99 F350 axles to get the solid axle and larger bolt patern for the wheels(got freebies) and IT really SUX the fuel down with the 3.73's

Friends Dodge 5.9B 600 gets 22mpg and has more power to boot..

PSD like open exhaust Instalation in my truck gained 10PSI @3400 to a total of 35PSI AND YES IT DOES SOUND LIKE A F 16

you dont think that it was the tires that killed the fuel milage? wouldnt the higher gearing bring revs down on the highway and increase milage? i rarly tow anything...:confused:

kevin:cool:

150aintenuff
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
the gears took it out of powerband.... I had the tires before and got 16-18 mpg... those engines like to cruse around 2200 on the highway

The Big Al
12-10-2004, 11:33 PM
:confused: This tread has been dead for 2 months:confused: