PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in new tow vehicle?

Adam
09-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey Guys,

I take delivery on my new truck tomorrow. 2005 Mazda Tribute. Engine specs are as follows: 3.0L DOHC 24 valve V6 4WD.

I need to move my boat around (V-King) on the weekend and tow it a short distance (like 15km). Should I be doing this with the truck this soon? I have another vehicle I can use, but I would rather use the new one.

Any tips on break in procedures if required? If I should wait, how long (km)?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Gordie Miller
09-14-2004, 09:17 AM
while you attach the trailer, this should provide sufficient break in time. Seriously though, just don't mash the pedal to the floor while towing and you'll be fine.

Ted Stryker
09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Typically recommends no towing for the first 1000 miles.. Take into consideration that the manufacturer has to provide ample safety room between the construction of their product and the tendencies of F'n Idiots... While the vehicle is new sometimes it hasn't had enough heat cycles for the load bearing areas of the drivetrain and brakelines to " work harden " yet, essentually meaning some of the crucial components may still be a little soft on a Rockwell Hardness scale sorta way... In my opinion a few hundred miles of in town/short highway trips over a week or so time period should be enough if your gentle an use some common sense and mechanical sympathy.. IMO.. :)