PDA

View Full Version : Firewall advice

10.5' Tunnel
09-12-2004, 03:31 PM
We need a firewall, but want one that is very easy to operate and control. I do online gaming and want one that effects the system as little as possible. A set it and forget it type would be perfect. Anyone know of any?

joey jamz
09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
whats ur email . i have a present for you. very easy to use

10.5' Tunnel
09-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Smurf thats would be great! My email is kyle_warlow @hotmail.com (remove the space)

joey jamz
09-17-2004, 06:15 PM
you have mail.

ggoody
09-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by 10.5' Tunnel
We need a firewall, but want one that is very easy to operate and control. I do online gaming and want one that effects the system as little as possible. A set it and forget it type would be perfect. Anyone know of any?

Your doing online gaming which means you have high speed internet so of course you would want a harware firewall not a software firewall...You problable have a router already...?

10.5' Tunnel
09-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Nope no router. I was thinking that would be the easiest thing because they have a built in firewall right? Another suggestion I got would be to just unplug my modem when not in use, but I thought that would be a pain.

MarkHP
09-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Tunnel,

Did you try the free personal firewall from www.ZoneLabs.com Very easy to install and performs perfectly. If you have installed SP2 in XP then I suggest you turn off the built in firewall as it may give problems. Also the XP built-in is only half a firewall, it will block in-bound packets but does nothing to outgoing ones. Zonelabs controls both.

ggoody
09-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 10.5' Tunnel
I was thinking that would be the easiest thing because they have a built in firewall right? .

Correct, and there cheap now just saw one for 39.oo.

Way better security plus anyone with a wi-fi card can surf the web at your house wirelessly..."spelling"...

:)