PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing aluminum web site.

crazy horse
09-12-2004, 10:42 AM
I ran across a nice little web site the other day and I though some of you guys that mess with machining might want to see it.:D http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Techno
09-13-2004, 05:34 PM
I dud it already. Used hydrochloric acid and that was as radical I was willing to go!

Its a really simple process if anyone is interested.
A DC charge through an acid makes the surface like a sponge.
Its soaked in dye.
Then its boiled or steamed. This part seals the spongy cells and leaves a very hard coating.
A very hard coating, harder than the natural oxide layer.
Did the thicker cold method by doing it on the porch during the winter.

My parts all came out satiny maybe from the voltage used.

crazy horse
09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Techno, I was wonderin if any of you guys have tried this. I'm going to try to set up a system this winter. I do alot of machining in aluminum and I'm always asked if I know someone that can anodize the parts.

RichS
09-13-2004, 07:45 PM
The initial ramp up of the anodize voltage is very important to the surface finish. Try starting out with a low voltage (3 to 6 volts)and slowly ramp it up to full voltage over the first 5 minutes. If ya don't have a variable supply start out with one battery and then put the next one in line, etc. Also, you need to use a hydrochloric cleaning step to get the surface oxide free before you start.
I'll be curious how it comes out:cool:

Techno
09-14-2004, 07:32 PM
There are a few sites on how to on the web and a few like the above link that supply the whatevers.

One thing I remember as a warning is don't do this in an enclosed space. The obvious for sure but the acid will rust any metal in the vicinity!

I used draino to remove the oxide but this also removed the polished surface:(

Pa.PosseSprinter
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
how do you keep aluminum from "dusting or corroding" - is this why you are asking about anodizing - some parts are BIG - i have a buddy who does small parts anodizing