PDA

View Full Version : More ??? about stereo

sidewinderwoman
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I posted a pic of my wiring on members gallery, because that's the only way I know how to do it. My next ? How do I wire the stereo? I know automotive wiring where everything is in the dash.
Do I hook the stereo direct to the battery or through the engine first? If it is the battery, then I could use a small 12 volt like a lawn mower battery right? I also realized I will probably need an amp if I want to actually hear the stereo while driving the boat.
Thanks again! Luana

Techno
09-11-2004, 06:02 PM
A small cycle battery will be a good idea. It won't supply much time but the boat will start and you still have music.
A simple radio don't suck down much amps anyway.

If you wire it without the extra battery just come off the normal battery or the cut off switch if you have one.
You could come off the key ignition wires but this might put too much load on the wiring and would need the ignition on for listening.
Better to have the radio on by itself.
An amp will reduce listening time but this is relative anyway.

To post a picture if its a JPG use the box down below when posting
"Attach file" with the "browse" button. Same as you did already but its on this page, or this page when your posting;)

captcarb
09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
If you want it to play with the ignition sw off, then you will find a red wire going to the ign sw. That is 12 volts from the battery. The radio needs 12 v and a ground to work.

If you want it to play only with the ign sw on, then you can hook to the accessory circuit on the ign sw just like a car. I don't remember the color, but it will have 12 volts only when the ignition switch is on. Use an appropriate fuse in the power wire for the radio, just like a car.

If you use a seperate battery, a deep cycle would be best. Wire it direct with a fuse.

Jim

mendo
09-13-2004, 03:14 PM
As with most accessories, you should run a wire all the way from the battery to the new device. Especially if you want to add an amp. Most of the wiring harnesses are only designed to carry enough current for the motor and gauges themselfs. Some people will use it to run stereos or other things though, I run new wire and use a relay to switch it.

Steve Reist
10-02-2004, 10:19 AM
As you stated, you will need/want an amp or
two to hear the stereo. Especially if installed
in an open type boat. I run 2 matching batteries
and wire all the stereo equip. to the aux. battery.
A large stereo will pull lots of current with 2 amps
at high volume so you need to charge the aux.
battery also. Some use a selector switch to isolate
them while not running and hook them together
when cruising IF you remember to use it. I use a
continous duty solenoid type relay to connect
(key on) or disconnect (key off) the two batteries.
That way you'll always have a fresh battery to get
home on if the Bud Lite gets to flowin' at the sandbar!
Hope this helps, Steve

pyro
10-02-2004, 04:29 PM
There will be an "always-on" +12V wire for the radio station preset memory and such, and a separate "key-on" power wire, which can be connected to an accessory switch or terminal block.

RSM
10-10-2004, 07:36 PM
How long will a cycle battery last till it needs recharged on just a 50 watt per channel radio ? Also is there such a thing as a deep cycle battery in that size? I have a 16 amp charging system so I really don't want to hook it up to my motor battery and I don't think it will charge two batteries so I like the motor cycle battery ideal plus I could mount it up front and not worry about the added weight. I just can't imagine one lasting very long from being charged alot? Thanks Randy