PDA

View Full Version : installing stereo?

sidewinderwoman
09-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if and how I can install an am/fm cassette in my 1971 sidewinder? it has a 1971 Johnson 125hp outboard and it appears to have an alternator. If so can I use one of my many car stereos and some waterproof speakers? What do you all think?
Thanks Luana

Tango
09-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Stereos are not rocket science anymore... Most will work. I would highly suggest getting one with a DIN cage. This means its removable. Any decent brand has this feature. Mostly its for security, but in a boat it keeps it out of the weather and gives added security.

As for the speakers, use any good model with a poly-cone. These typically have a foam suspension and will withstand direct contact with water. Use heatshrink or waterproof connectors. You can buy these at RadioShark. If you can find it, use silver wire as it is much less corrosive as typical copper wire... and you can use a smaller gage.

To make it last longer, be sure to support the radio from behind and not just from the front. This will help when the vibration tries to rip it from its mount.

VectorPat
09-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Might want to make sure you have a good battery also. That alternator isnt that big and the ignition for the motor requires battery voltage along with the elec. shift.. So dont go crazy with a big amp and leaving the stereo on without the motor running.

Story
10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I would suggest Pioneer Marine 2-way 6.5 speakers. Not to hard to get and around $100. If you can get ahold of Babbs, they are solid alum and will even play under water. They are about $300 a pair but will last forever. Sound damm good. Pionneer is the way to go for the money. There is a underdash ABS radio mount that would work great. Also helps with enviroment issues. DIN is just a size but most DIN units are easy to remove. A back strap is a must. You may also want a waterproof face cover for the radio (Pioneer has one $30) Oxygen free copper will hold up O.K. I would add 2nd batt. with a switch so when your sitting you have a seperate batt to start. I have been in car audio for 15 years and can answer any question you can through at me. I'm new to the forums so if you want to e-mail me I will design a system that will fit your needs. I can't get the equipment but I should be able to point you in a direction. brad@spels.biz.

Techno
10-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Depending on where the speakers are mounted and your boat splashing requirements I think car speakers will work too.
I mounted 10" woofs in my car door, which is about as wrong as you can get, and they still work. They had the rubbery type cones though.

The worst that can happen is your speakers and radio will stop working..............................eventually:p

A compromise alternative is to take your existing car stuff and build it into a boom box. Thats what I'm doing with mine and should work. Out of the boat when not needed with its own gel cycle battery.

Rush
10-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Just my two cents worth.

I am restoring my boat, and I have thought a lot about a stereo. I work as an Aircraft Mechanic, and I help my friend work on boats on the weekends. I install a lot of stereos, and do service work on boats. After seeing all of the old rusty, water damaged stereos that come in, I will not put one in my boat, period! Most of them are only a couple years old, and already shot! However this is Myrtle Beach, and everything's saltwater.

I am going to buy a Giant Jam Box. I can blast it all day without running the battery down in the boat. I can carry it to the beach and put it on the blanket. When the trip is done, I can put in in my house and listen to it there. It will never rust, because it won't be kept outdoors. If the batteries go dead, so what, the boat will still start!

There will be no holes drilled in the boat, for the stereo, speakers, or wiring. It kills two birds with stone. Many of the new Jam Boxes have a DVD Player, EQ, XM Radio, and TV. You can get all of this for around $300.00. It may not thump hard, due to having no crossovers and sub woofers, but it all depends on what you are trying to do, impress yourself and family, or impress other people a mile away! Personally, I don't care what the people a mile away are doing!

Will the new in dash stereo that you purchase have a CD Player, Radio, DVD, TV, and XM Radio? I doubt it, but you can get it, all in one "Big Jam Box!" It's really something to think about!

dmilford
10-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Luana;
My brother has a stereo installed in his 1977 Super Sidewinder (powered by a Merc XR4). I am sure he would be glad to provide you some details. You can contact him at lmilford@powergate.ca
He is the original owner. I am the original owner of a 1970 Cobra SS w/a Merc 115 hp. The Cobra was a Canadian built Sidewinder. I have posted a short Sidewinder history on the fiberglassics.com site, along with the 1969 Sidewinder brochure. I am continuing to research Sidewinder history and would appreciate knowing anything that you or anyone else can tell me.
I am also trying to get a line on Ken Baker former president of Sidewinder marine. Does anyone know how I can reach him?
I am aslo collecting Sidewinder brochures. Does anyone have any available or that can be emailed?
Regards, Dan