PDA

View Full Version : 225 E-tec vs Verado?

skip merck
09-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I was just reading a test in Bass and Walleye of a 225 E-tec on a TR-21X. They said it out accelerated by 1.3 seconds a 250 Verado from 0 to 30 mph. Also it outran it by 2 mph and got better economy at WOT than the Verado on the same boat. Whats up with that. Every body that ran one of the prototype Verados raved about the acceleration saying nothing could touch it out of the hole. Is Merc tuning down the production engines?

optimax135
09-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Tritons a flats boat that was used in the Bass Master Classic. The Verado didn't work well on it for some reason. My buddy said it was slow out of the hole and he couldn't hold it WOT cause it got too squirrly on him. I have no clue! The one's I ran were awesome. I don't know if the market one's are tuned down or not......:confused:

Scream And Fly
09-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I think a much better test would have been to compare an OptiMax against the E-Tec. I have personally experienced the torque of the Verado, and it is very impressive.

Greg

us1ss
09-10-2004, 12:36 PM
The Opti can't beat a standard Ficht and the E-Tec is better. E-Tec is the Bombardier answer to the four strokes. I think the test is a good comparison for a single application. However,
The Large Center Consoles with 2 and 3 outboards are raving about the Verado's. Maybe they are better suited for the larger boats with multiple motors.

captcarb
09-10-2004, 01:01 PM
How much heavier is the Verado?

Jim

heath brinkley
09-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I read it somewhere, and it was quite a bit heavier. Don't want to say it since I can't remember. What Did impress me was how small it was compared to most 4 strokes. 2.6 litres. I'll still take the 2 stroke.

delawarerick
09-10-2004, 03:26 PM
In trailor boat magazine the etec, opti,tahatsuDFI, honda 4stroke and suziki 4stroke. the Etec was best all around with the one problem was noise. But think noise is a good thing. The noise was the ticking of the injectors also they ran some problems with the 1500-2000rpm range some of you ficht guys does that sound familar. Honda was the quietest suzuki the heaviest weighing in at over a 100 pounds more. I think the thought is who ever gets the motor dialed in first wether its merc verado or bomb etec is gonna give yammy a run for its money. Yammy has a big share of the outboard market. Rick