PDA

View Full Version : pennzoil synthetic oil

popeyebob
05-11-2001, 04:33 PM
I had a nice conversation with a friend today.He has a degree in organic chemistry,and is head chemist at a local oil and chemical plant.He is in charge of new blend's.
He say's that Pennzoil 100% synthetic is not what it is advertised.Now,understand,I can follow along a little on organic chemistry conversation's,but I get lost in"bending molicule" talk.He said that Pennsoil had a court battle to call there oil "synthetic".It is a modified mineral oil product.Basicly the same component as standard tcw-III.Actually,he got a chuckle when I described the product to him.He had been following this product,and seem'd to know all about it.He said it is a good product,just dont be mislead by the claim that it is 100% synthetic.It is just a modifyed mineral lubricant.I say,if people have been having good luck with it,then that is what they should use.As for me,I am going to try a gallon,and see the results for myself.He has been blending my model aircraft fuel for years,and he know's his stuff.
Just my two cent's worth.

Jay Smith
05-11-2001, 08:45 PM
Tell your buddy that vertually ALL lubericant base stocks are a derivative of mineral oil. Working for EXXON for 26 years in the fuels and oil blending sections and also the Chem. plant where Pennzoil and MANY other name brand oils buy thier syn. base stock packages .I know for a fact (because I was sponsered by Itaska Syn.which became Quaker State and is now Penznzoil syn and was involved in the development and testing of the product) the now Pennzoil formula is the same and it has some of the best base stock and add packs money can buy. I run it in modified and pro gas motors turning in upperwards of 10500 rpms with NO OIL related problems. You can go far and wide and pay twice the price and not get a BETTER oil. ( And it's at Walmart how much better can you get ? )

Jay @ JSRE
( Moon lighting for the Pennzoil company )LOL...

Techno
05-11-2001, 11:36 PM
One thing that always struck me as funny is that if it's synthetic it was derived from oil. Thats where all our plastic comes from.

popeyebob
05-11-2001, 11:49 PM
Please notice,I did not beat him up on his opinion,I just offered it as a suggestion.What the hell do I know about oil???If you get it on you'r hand's,it is slippery.If you spill it on the ground,it makes a stain.So I guess I can run it in a basicly stock 2.4 carb motor ??(40/1 ratio???)

Jay Smith
05-12-2001, 07:22 AM
Techno is correct, I work at the largest petrochemical and refining complex in the world and have worked on the oil refining and the chemical sides of the both plants. The chemical side makes 90% of all butel rubber in the worlds tires along with vistanex which goes in chewing gum. Also the plastics that go into your car dashboards and the material that goes into the construction of the adjater in all washing machines (Polyproplene, polysterne, and even cyclohexane that is the main part in the making of women's panty hose ) are manufactured there .We ( EXXON ) are the largest supplier to the worlds need for liniar parafyn without this KEROSINE based additive NO SOAP would lather into foam. And all these sections get thier base stock feed trains from the refinery which is pulled straight out of the Texas crude oil fields or comes off Saudie tankers 500 yards away at our docks.So not to get off on a tangent but there is ALOT of base stocks to make alot of products that comes directly from oil. And to answer your question about your 2.4 if you turn less than 8000 rpme I would run the syn oil of you or your buddy's choice at 40:1 or 3.5 oz to a gal of that good EXXON super unleaded gasoline! LOL........

Jay @ JSRE

Markus
05-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Jay, what base stock do they use for Itasca?

Is this the case of some people not considering Grade III base stocks being synthetics (e.g. Mobil), where as others (e.g. Castrol) do?

(Popeyebob, are you sure your friend was not referring to automotive lubricants, because I know that quite some debate is going on there)

Btw, if anyone wants to learn more about oil, I have some interesting links on my links page (below).

Jay Smith
05-14-2001, 08:22 AM
Marcus,

Hate to sound like a cop out but I talked to the Chemical Engineer involved with the polymer division and he QUICKLY told me what they sell our customers for base stock material is strickly propriority. And if the customer wanted to reviel the base stock contents it would have to be done by them and for Exxon to reveal a customer's formula would be unethicacal and a breach of security .

Sorry,
Jay @ JSRE

dyounge
05-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Jay,

I am presently running quicksilver oil in my 200 merc. I have seen other posts proclaiming the quality of the penzoil synthetic product. Do I have to drain the tanks, or otherwise make sure all of the original oil is out of the motor before putting in the penzoil? With auto engines I am to understand that you cannot mix regular oil and synthetic. It will gum up. What is your opinion?

Jay Smith
05-14-2001, 08:45 AM
Some oils when mixed will gel and cause major problems . If you have chosen to make the syn jump up I would run my tanks down and put the last of the Quicksilver in a weedeater , where it belongs !As mixing the two may cause problems but to me it would like taking a bath and putting on DIRTY socks to add the syn to mineral oil left in the tanks, it would take along time to purge ALL the mineral oil out as it would continue to have residue!

my 2 cents
Jay @ JSRE

dyounge
05-14-2001, 10:01 AM
Is it safe to say that you do not think that Quicksilver is a good oil to use? I am just starting my season and would prefer not to pull the tanks and do all the work to ensure that all of old oil is completely removed at this time. Can you recommend a good non-synthetic?

Jay Smith
05-15-2001, 08:01 AM
If your not going to run syn oil buy whats on sale but make sure its TC3 rated !

Jay @ JSRE