PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Craft Hurricane/Evinrude 90

Ron V
04-16-2001, 11:19 AM
Boat is an 18'9" Rapid Craft Hurricane (v-bottom) with a completely stock Evinrude 90 hp crossflow. Recently added a CMC 5 1/2" manual setback which did not help top end yet because the prop I am running is already beyond its intended use. Turning a 13 x 19 SST II at 5500 revs, running around 49-50 on radar (54 on the Faria speedo). Hoping to try a Raker and a SRX in the near future.

Balzy
04-16-2001, 11:43 AM
Congrats, you are the first one to double post on the new forum. LOL ;)

Baly

Gerben
04-16-2001, 03:47 PM
Hi v4,

Good to see you have the cooling fixed up again.

Just wondering, before you mounted the lift, did you have to run (a lot of) positive trim?

Greetings,
Gerben

Ron V
04-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Gerben,

The motor was trimmed up quite a bit before I added the setback, and maybe a little less after. The red flag on the whole setup is the prop. That's why the setback didn't help the performance but maybe by 1 mph. I can drop the lift all the way down to an inch below the stock 23" transom height and it will run 52 mph (on the gauge) at 5200 rpm, with the back end really planted hard in the water. Or I can raise it up to an inch above the stock height and the revs pick up to 5500-5600, with only a 1 mph gain on the speedo. So the prop is losing a lot of bite when it gets raised. The SST II is a good work prop, but is not the right blade shape or design to run at the higher settings. I am anxious to try a Raker and an SRX or something along those lines to see what the rig has left. The setback seemed to make the rig a little lighter but with the prop slipping so much it is hard to tell. It is the prop that was on there when I bought it. I've tried a couple of others but didn't gain anything. But I think if I find the right one the boat can crank out even more.