PDA

View Full Version : OPC Super-Sport information

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 01:38 AM
I've had the priveledge of getting numerous calls regarding the
creation and current state of participation in the relativley new
OPC Super-Sport class. I consider it an honor to answer many of them on this forum.
I've been reading the Scream&Fly forum since 1999 and feel like
I know many of the active participants here. One of my favorite features is the "profile" section, where I can "search all posts by this user". Upon use of this feature I feel it is safe to say that we all share a priceless passion for the the hobby of high performance outboard boating. For concern of being long-winded
I won't get into the obvious understanding we share that boat racing has created many of the high performance products we
enjoy today. (I once had a co-worker who, upon casual scrutiny of my pre-race preparations for a trip to the fla. barge canal outboard drag races, commented," who gives a **** about these boat races anyway? " to which I proudly pointed out that if it were not for racing, we would still be driving model-T fords and
traveling the waterways by rowboat!!!)...
Which brings me to the current state of general motorsports
management. With regard to our collective area of interest, Outboard Powerboat Racing....
My friend Ron hill is more qualified to give the colorful details of our sports history, and men I know only by their "screen-names"
i.e. Raceman, Olegator,MK75H,InLinesix,racer,and more, can support the sentiment that the evolution of outboard racing has
survived many situations of greatness and difficulty in our lifetimes. O.K. it's time to "get to the point" of my post...
thanks for indulgeing me in this,bear with me...

I have been honored with the titile of "Founder" or "Grandfather"
of the American Power Boat Association's new Outboard Performance Craft "Super-Sport" class. Under Ron Hills Administration as the OPC Chairman in 1999 he assigned the title
of " Class Advocate" to representatives in key posititions for each of OPC's classes. In my case, as the past Chairman of the
Outboard Drag category ( 2 terms in office ) I was simply the new guy to OPC who was just "Star-Struck" enough to agree to rig the first four boats for initial testing in a new concept class, and report back to the honorable OPC commisioners with the results of the on water testing.... lets take a closer look at that...

Imagine being an outboard racing enthusiast since childhood, involved in local competition, and a "student of the sport" for about 12 years, throw in a modest knowledge of APBA administration ( As Outboard Drag Chairman, and a Charter member of the Outboard Drag Commision, I got to rub elbows with many of my childhood heroes in boat racing ) and now the task of aiding my Heroes in creation of an " Orientation" program
aimed at the future of Outboard Performance Craft Racing !!!!!
O.K. now, don't stop there!!!! next I am told ( by Charlie Strang...
thats right THE Charlie Strang that He would personally endorse this project if I could assure him I would proceed with my enthusiasm) that I would be involved with a program aimed at
recreating the late E.C. Kiekhafer's vision of OPC from the days when that acronym stood for Outboard Pleasure Craft!!!!

At this point it seems like a "no-brainer" and I proudly proceeded.
Next the reality sinks in and the FUN begins. with contacts from four different outboard manufacturers, product began to arrive at my modest lakefront marina ( an Evinrude dealership since 1952),
Not to be left out here is the involvment of of other prominent members of the outboard racing world... Jack Barsh of Full Throttle
Boats, Noah Legear of Eagle-One Powerboats, Ray Anderson of Anderson Marine, and Ron Hill, OPC Chairman, all furnishied boats for the project....
This all began to take shape durring the winter of 1999, with shiney new 2000 model year 150 H.P. outboards "in the box" showing up in my marina's driveway, I was just like a "kid on Christmas morning" ( if I can get screen-name "OneBadStream"
to stop by, maybe he'd be kind enough to post some of my favorite pictures, especially the one of all four motor brands stacked up in the shop...still in their shipping boxes!!).
Then comes the hours of rigging, I completed Ron Hills 1993 Vision-Craft w/ 2000 year Evinrude Ficht 150 first. The first trip across lake Eustis with an old 29" pitch SRX showed 84.7 M.P.H.
(after meticulous break-in) and it handled like a dream, ( the target speed for this new class was approx. 80 M.P.H. so I was convinced that all the consulatants on this project knew what they were talking about! ) Speaking of consultants, and there were many, I think I'll try to recall some of them from memory
(please keep in mind it was over five years ago and I'm not getting any younger)... in no particular order, ...Jeff Grigg, Ron Hill,Glen Reynolds,Ron Baker, Jeff Titus,Edgar Rose,Stan Fitts,
Rick McChesney,Bill Seebold,Fred Hauenstein jr.,Ray Anderson,
Noah Legear,Charlie Strang,Buddy Beyers,Bart Garbrecht,Terry Phipps,Cliff Fabre',Howard Anderson, Bob Wartinger,Greg Jacobsen, Wayne Worthy,Pepper Ernest,the late Jim Everret,
Dean Pink,Dorsey Frabott, Steve David, the late Bernie Little,
Mike Jones,Bill Gohr, Fred Miller, and more...
Allright, I'm done "name dropping" but for those of you who are fellow students of our sport, it becomes clear to see how a modest man of my means could be star sruck when developeing a relationship on a first name basis with the names mentioned above...
I think that is a good start for the origin of the general concept.
I'll continue this thread with what I feel are interesting details of the "nuts and bolts" aspect af the Super-Sport class, and do my level best to answer some of the most Frequently Asked Questions...

Enjoy, and feel free to ask for any detailed answers, no matter how curious or out of the norm they may seem...

Thank You,
Danny McManus
:) :)

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 02:01 AM
As a general rule, enthusiasts tend to copy other
popular customs of recreation... Having been an avid motorcycle racing enthusiasts, and knowing some local particpants, I enjoyed attending the Daytona 200 AMA superbike races. While the "200" was the premier event of the Bike-Week festival, I closley watched the 600cc AMA Super-Sport class. Admitedley the AMA super-Sport bikes were not "showroom stock" they did represent many of the high tech features found on many of the spectators bikes parked in the infield... thats where the name came from.

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 02:26 AM
As I mentioned above,there were many prominent
outboard racers involved in the concept. My initial involvement
began in 1987, upon returning from my first participation in an outboard drag race in Crystal river, Fla. (Barge Canal) in my then new Hydro-Stream Vector with a 175H.P. Johnson ( given to me by Greg Dunham A.K.A. rrrevinrude) I met an OPC Driver named Donnie McDowell. Donnie was racing in the International Outboard
Grand Prix ( I.O.G.P.) series and invited me go with him to "River-Race Augusta" in Georgia. from that weekend on I thought Mod-VP was a really cool way to go boat racing. Several years and races later I was racing in Auburndale, Fla. in the Outboard Drag category, one of the boats there was a 1993 red/white/blue Mirage Jaguar w/ a1992 175 johnson FastStrike, driven by
Pat Eves. As the boats were launching, I found myself talking with Dean Pink, Jeff Grigg and Jeff Titus about how much that boat reminded us of a classic Mod-VP rig. We then observed how
fast it was with that "mild" motor on it....the discusion evolved into a hypothetical fantasy of how cool it would be to see a "bunch" of them racing together.:D :D :D
From that day on I kept it in the back of my mind that if I ever saw a way to to bring back even a remote resmblance of the old Mod-Vp class, I'd do anything within my abilities to help out...

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 03:09 AM
In the first official letter to the then OPC Chairman (Ron Hill),
my thoughts were to use 150 H.P. as a baseline engine, going back to the early B.A.S.S. tournament days from 1983, that is to say the XR2 Merc, GT/XP 150 Johnson,Evinrudes, Pro-V150 Yamaha, Super-Six Suzuki era...Ron agreed but had been encouraged by the members of the New Class Commitee to
research a way to include the then new "low-emission" engines being offered. Upon a fun comparison of new product brochures
obtained from local dealers my brother (Bill) and I discovered that the manufacturers spec pages were all similar at the low (2 h.p.)
end of the scale and noticably different at the top (225+ h.p.) end.
We were like kids looking at the old Sears&Roebuck Christmas cataloge with these brochures spread out on the parts counter at the marina when we found that in the mid-range (150 h.p.) product comparison the engines were within 11 cubic inches and
18 pounds of each other. With that information in hand I reported back to Ron and the New class commitee that when considering the project goal of "readily avaible equiptment" and "as-shipped"
that with the 150h.p. engines would not require any alteration
for our competition application. On the other hand if we went with
higher horsepower engines the current generation of modified tunnel-V and V-bottom hulls, when combined with current propeller technology would exceed production gearcase capabilties,thus requiring alteration and susequently exceeding the 80 M.P.H. target speed.
(note that the 80 M.P.H. speed cap. was based on many of the consultants reflecting on some of their fondest collective memories
from the glory days of outboard racing in classes where 80M.P.H.
speeds were considered very fast. Add that OPC already had a rule book where many equipment combinations provide participants with higher speed capabilities...)
An additional factor was that all outboard manufacturers offer
Demonstrator Programs to qualified Dealers, and that these eligible Dealers can be assured under this application that they get their "Demo-Unit" back in un-altered condition...

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 03:33 AM
I'll try to find my original letter to Ron Hill, or hopefully he can dig it
up and post it. In that proposal I had the weights at 1475 pounds. After much research and discussion, it was determined that since the last era of Mod-VP class boats ran at 1450 pounds and the new engines were heavier, plus the fact we plan to attract "Big-Dudes" who otherwise would not neccasarily participate in our already popular lighter weight classes, 1600 pounds would work well . The 1600 pound number was also determined to allow for some modern accesories such as on board
air conditioning, onboard/ondemand underwater breathing apparatus, deployed airbag technology, communication equipment, and so on.
(Add: also lotsa Fried Chicken and Pizza consumption at the races):D :D :D :D

gdfatha
08-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi Danny...

I have a couple of short questions:

1) Is there a preliminary/master plan regarding SuperSport 2005?? How many potential drivers/boats in the class??

2) How about a SuperSport exhibit during this months Eustis. On the water ot under a tent??

3) Will there be fried chicken available for us fans at Eustis??:D

4) SPN# 43 asked who is attending the region 5 meeting. No one has replied in open forum. Will SuperSport be discussed there??

Thanks...

marc

AnthonySS
08-31-2004, 03:16 PM
DANNY,

One of the main reasons I got interested in Racing was because of you. I will always remember those great O/B Drag reports in Propeller magazine.

You continue to show me why, due to creative writing style and heart for the sport you have.

Keep up the Great work

Blessings

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
I've talked with the drivers and boat owners and we will
be meetingover the winter to go over our activities in 2005.

A part of our preliminary plan is to get to gether for a photo
shoot to update our promotional materials ( we would welcome
your input on this...)

The display at the Eustis race is another good idea and I'll
talk to Mike and Dorsey asap.

Don't know about the menu at Eustis race but I'll be gald to
pickup a bucket of KFC for ya:D

I do plan to attend this years APBA region 5 meeting, and while
there I'll gather some onfo we'll need for our 2005 event plans.
I also plan to be more active on this forum with info and updates,
plus adding some more details about the creation of the SS class.

Thanks for your reply,and all your interest and support.

Danny McManus
08-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply and the kind words, I'm glad to
think any of my efforts can encourage good people like you
and your family to enjoy our sport. Have fun, Be safe.

Stay Cool:)

gdfatha
09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Danny

Danny:A part of our preliminary plan is to get to gether for a photo
shoot to update our promotional materials ( we would welcome
your input on this...)=================>

Me----Danny, I will be happy to support. As you are aware, I do not charge for photos and have a free site where anyone can download any photo free. I average 2000-300o hits per album, which is added exposure for the great sport.

DANNY: The display at the Eustis race is another good idea and I'll
talk to Mike and Dorsey asap.================>

DANNY---Don't know about the menu at Eustis race but I'll be gald to pickup a bucket of KFC for ya===============>

Me----Great! I'll take legs and thighs. I don't like breasts.--WAIT--That doen't sound right..LOL...I'll treat to water/beer

DANNY---I do plan to attend this years APBA region 5 meeting, and while there I'll gather some onfo we'll need for our 2005 event plans.

I also plan to be more active on this forum with info and updates,
plus adding some more details about the creation of the SS class.
====================>
ME---Better yet.. Region 5 needs dynamic/proactive and dedicated leadership. I hope added exposure is considered with articles in Propeller magazine. I am beginning to think that Propeller editors are missing REGION 5 on their keyboard..

Thanks for your reply, and all your interest and support to race starved region 5 fans...

Danny-Frances is heading your way..Take care guys.. God Bless..

marc

SS at St Pete==========>

Danny McManus
09-03-2004, 06:44 PM
What I'm gonna say here is premature, it is possible.
Try to figure this out... the location of our planned photo-shoot
is a racing facility with historic signifigance, it's ininials are L.L. and is owned by I.S.C. go ahead and make a guess. I'll be watching as I closed the marina today to await the wrath of hurricane Francis and will stay logged on until I lose power...:D

gdfatha
09-03-2004, 07:56 PM
The old Lake X

Danny McManus
09-03-2004, 08:06 PM
...think trioval:D

2us70
09-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Backin the 60s and 70s I came to Tavares every Feb. to run OPC in SE class. We called it the drive-in boat races since it was often so cold that the only people out of their cars were the drivers and officials. Now I retired parents living in Eustis so I find myself back in the area several times a year. I always enjoy riding by the marina and checking out these boats. I hope this class gets established cause it looks like a good way for a guy like me to come out of "retirement", if I realy get the bug again.

gdfatha
09-03-2004, 09:04 PM
LL=LAS Legas...or

Laytona Leach

Winds very quiet here

75-85mph around 6pm tomorrow..subject to change..

Danny McManus
09-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Marc, I think you figured it out.

2US70....the next time you are up here, stop in the shop.
I'd like the chance to meet you. We probably know some
of the same people. I can usually have one of the SS boats
in the water with five or ten minutes notice:) Part of the
original plan for SS was to attract new participants,another
part considered it a way for some of us" older" guys to get back in
OPC and run some events without the maintenence of an
all out race engine package. Thanks for your reply, hope to meet you someday soon. ( Did you know the late Jim Everett?/ he
was a very encourageing part of the creation of this class and
I have some pics of him drivin' the Yamaha powered SS boat).

2us70
09-04-2004, 10:26 AM
In the years since I "retired" from OPC I raced road bicycles. Now whenever I come to Eustis I try to get in some riding. My favorite loop takes me right by your shop. Three years ago we again got a boat and my Dad likes us to bring it when we come. last spring I went to the Mount Dora show by water. We put in in Eustis and ran over through thr Dora canal. One of the first boats I ran into was Dancing Bear,what a thrill. I was present the first time Dancing Bear was put in the water after it was built so it was strange to see it running again after all these years.
I do remember Jim Everet but we did know each other well. He and Olegator were two of the best of the FJ drivers in that era. I only ran that class a couple of times without much success. I was mostly a SEand SD driver.

ApolloImaging
09-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Danny check your PMs:cool:

Danny McManus
09-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks Lamar,
I'll definatley keep you informed as we make progress.

Jeff_G
09-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Many of you reading this have never raced or have only had dreams of racing. The SS class is one answer to your dreams. It is reletively affordable, (you can get a bank loan for one), fast and exciting.
The NORA is committed to the class and has hosted them every year at all of our races since their inception. We will continue to support them as long as we have sites to race.
I would encourage anyone remotely interested to get in touch with Danny so you and the other clubs in the area can make plans for the 2005 season.

Danny McManus
09-06-2004, 11:10 AM
NORA has a great group of people in it. Hope you and your's
are doing well. BTW any news from Kankakee yet?

Jeff_G
09-06-2004, 04:54 PM
The only news I have heard is Seebold was DQ for a fuel violation?
No National Championship for Mod U. 5 registered and only 4 to the final one blew over.
Formula V the 20 Allison won, surprise, and Ernie Brown took 2nd in the 13' boat.
Heard the turnout for almost all classes was dismal.
The economy, gas prices, and hurricane sure didn't help.

captcarb
09-18-2004, 03:39 PM
I live in Eustis, where the Super Sport class was born. I can stop in at Lake Eustis Marina and talk to Danny any time. He has helped me with several projects. If any of you are in the area, you should stop by and talk to Danny and take a look at some of the really cool Super Sport boats at his place.

The Super Sport class has always made a lot of sense to me. The motors are stock, so there is not a lot of high intensity maintenance to do which leaves the competitors plenty of time to practice and experement with props etc. The rules don't change so there is no need to buy new equipment every year.

At the OPC races the Super Sport guys are all laid back relaxing in the shade while everone else is working on their rigs. It's a fun class, that was created for just that, to have fun. I am looking forward to another great year of Super Sport racing. Hopefully, we can arrange a race in Eustis.

Jim

gdfatha
09-18-2004, 03:52 PM
And how unlucky we fans are now

I remember at least three years running where the Supersport and other OPC classes ran at Eustis. here is a shot from 2003 when classes/egos were acting like adults and talking to each other...:(

Common guys... bring back the Supersports...and ALL OPCs

Ted March
09-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Got a boat and a driver>

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person,
we know alot of the same people.:D
Ron Hill says great things about you and if I remember correctly,
you and I talked on the phone several years ago.
Both of the boats in that cool picture you've posted look great
and could be made into competitive SS boats. The yellow
#3 STV would just need the new collapsible pickle fork mod
and the white boat could have a "reinforced structur" added
to the cockpit (along with the picklefork mods). The only other
changes would be limited to changing out those badass racemotors (lookin' at how fast they are goin' that close to the start lights would be a clear indication that they are makin' serious power!!)
The list of legal 150 h.p. engines for SS goes back to 1998 and
now includes even the new four-stroke Honda and Yamaha,
which the reps all tell me are tuned to be on par with the current
crop of direct injected offerings. I hope to get to meet you sometime, thanks for your reply:D

Ted March
09-18-2004, 08:46 PM
We would love to play. Just need to find a motor.

Ted March
09-18-2004, 08:49 PM
how did you do with the storms. hope all is ok

Ted March
09-18-2004, 08:54 PM
hope you're going to jasper. meet you there.
thanks

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 08:58 PM
FYI we have a 2003 Suzuki 150 available right now.
I have to say the Zuki' is off the pace in the acceleration
dept. but runs on top-end with all the rest in this application.
I'd be willing to meet you half way with it or ship it freight
COD. Better yet...get your favorite local Mercury dealer
to contact me and I'll probably be able to get you in
on one of their Demo. programs. BTW ther is a man named
Joe Addiego in N.J. that has a Merc powered SS Vision-Craft
allready rigged for SS. Joe is currently running SST-45 but
would love to have someone in his region to race with...
Joe has his SS boat listed for sale in the "hulls up to 20'"
section. It looks good. ( the Suzuki is a genuine offer/
available asap)...

Ted March
09-18-2004, 09:06 PM
no suzuki. would enjoy meeting anyone in nj who wants do do this

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I bumped Joe's listing TTT so maybe you can find it and e-mail
him. The offer to help with the demo program is legit too...

Ted March
09-18-2004, 09:15 PM
i know i have your number. but can't find it. would like to call you tomorrow or monday. whatever is convenient

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 09:18 PM
now= 352-343-0517 (home) or 352-357-2411 marina.

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 09:24 PM
you guys are the greatest. You see, all I need is a little
encouragment now and then. As a volunteer enthusiast
I can tell you that an occasional "attaboy" can outpace
any number of "awe ****s" :D :D :D

Ted March
09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
You have about 50 attaboys from me. you work hard for the sport.

thank you. Wish there were more like you and Hill

Ted March
09-18-2004, 09:34 PM
guys like you and ron are the creators. the rest sit and bitch.

and hill is the best. be happy you have him as a friend. i am

Danny McManus
09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
I wanted to go to Jasper this year, but the Fla. Outboard
Racing Assoc. is haveing a nice local race for us down here.
If your in Jasper look up the guys that run Unlimited.
Both Jack Barsh and Mike Muldrow run SS and are good
people...also here they are excellent cooks!!
Mike is planning to run at Jasper on Saturday and fly back to Fla.
on Sunday to defend his high points lead in SS. Talk about a dedicated boat racer!!!

Ted March
09-18-2004, 11:53 PM
is a hell of a man

Danny McManus
09-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Yes, Jack Barsh is a great friend of boat racing. He can and
will do anything to help anybody, anytime...I've seen him
in the motel parking lots grinding and repairing boats while
everybody else is getting ready to go out for the evening.
Jack is definatly a "get it done" kinda guy. !!!:) :)

1BadAction
10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
MAN, This is sweet, I am stoked. This class is great for a guy like me to get into, who doesnt want to screw with all the typical racing BS. Ya know, kissing A$$ at the Merc trailer just to get the latest greatest do-dad for the motor. and working 30 hours fixing a stuck piston just to run for 30 minutes :rolleyes: not to mention all the other crap that happens to a race-only motor. This is by far the closest thing to turn-key race boats that there is. I had a blast today running circles right outside lake-eustis marina by myself, IT has to be wicked awesome running close with 5 other guys in a race :D :D :D :D

Danny, Thanks again for lunch, and especially the test drive today, I havent had that much fun in a boat since the 50hp J-14 incident :D You definately have another guy hooked on SS class.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/Gallery/data/502/3079IM000607-med.jpg

was this me or you? cant tell...

http://forums.screamandfly.com/Gallery/data/502/3079IM000604-med.jpg

Danny McManus
10-06-2004, 11:18 PM
thanks for comeing over to visit today 1bad. also thanks for
the help with that custom paint work on Steves STV :) :)
the new pickle fork tips look great. I had fun watching you put
some laps in, next time we will set up the course and break out
the ole' stop watch. Glad you made the trip and hope you enjoy
the super-sport video tape...you are proof that even big dudes
can have fun in a SS boat....keep in touch and thanks for posting the pictures, I just wish I was a better photographer:D

1BadAction
10-07-2004, 06:07 PM
danny, you mention that the 150hp 4-strokes are legal to run... If so, how are you going to tech them? There is a good bit of tech out there to modify a 4-stroke. Unlike the DFI, a 4 stroke is modifyable (whereas if a DFI was messed with, there is a snowballs chance in hell that it would work better), A 4-stroker would work with bigger rocker arms or different cam gears. Or in mercs case with the "to be released" 4-cyl verado, boost that comes on quicker would be an issue.

Danny McManus
10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
The OPC Motor Technical Comittee has reps. from all the
manufacturers involved. They have current info on all the production models to confirm these engines legality. If somebody
were to decide to try running non'stock equiptment it would be
at the risk of being disqualified.... basically not worth the risk
in a sportsmanship based program.

1BadAction
10-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Danny McManus
The OPC Motor Technical Comittee has reps. from all the
manufacturers involved. They have current info on all the production models to confirm these engines legality. If somebody
were to decide to try running non'stock equiptment it would be
at the risk of being disqualified.... basically not worth the risk
in a sportsmanship based program.

good deal man, in the racing that close, it would probably be blatantly obvious anyhow... I think most of the guys are close enough that something like that wouldnt happen.

Danny McManus
10-21-2004, 12:02 AM
I appreciate you Greg for all your hard work and for being kind enough to move this topic into the new Low Emmision forum.
While time marches on, I can see where the men and women
involved in todays boat racing leadership were thinking of the future of outboard racing in their advice when working to help
with the creation of the Super-Sport class. When I spend my evenings reading the topics regarding performance boating and racing, I notice that we all share concerns about the future of our sport. The Super-Sport class idea was created as a step towards
looking to the future...by looking at our past. What I mean is,
in todays world of "turn-key" high speed pleasure boats, it
is easy to loose sight of the fact that boat racing is a very specialized sport. While the competition factor is always there,
our popularity now has more competition than ever before.
The use of readily available equiptment was at the very heart of our sports early popularity, at a time when life was simpler and
people were not overwhelmed with todays endless choices of how best to budget their time and money.
The new Super-Sport class represents a way for newcomers and
veteran racers in our sport to join together and be involved in
their desire to either get started, or rekindle their mutual enjoyment of being part of something very special... powerboat racing... The very creation of the OPC category came from the
dedicated developement of engines and boats designed for
high performance use, and made readily available to the buying
public. Most of todays high performing and highly durable marine
products owe their creation to those enthusiasts and pioneers
from back then... thanks:D

outboards4life
10-21-2004, 12:12 AM
I remember the first time I saw this class race probably 4 years ago at Kankakee. I saw them drop the boats in and had no clue what they were. the motors were huge compared to what else was out there. Then they fired them up and you couldn't hear them. I didn't know what was going on.

Once they got started it was a sight to behold. 80 mph boats flying around and not being able to hear them. It was unbelievably cool to watch.

Where else can you get into racing and have a full factory warranty on your engine? How much fun would it be to just race. No work tearing your motor down checking computer readings etc etc etc. Just going out to race. this is it right here.

I'll be out there sooner than you guys think. Just look for the back of my boat. It won't be too hard to miss.
Travis:cool:

1BadAction
10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
har har travis... ditto on that man, it is the closest form of racing that i have seen. AND the easiest to get into.

Thanks to scream and fly for lettin hacks like me learn about cool stuff. :D

Danny McManus
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your replies, this new class is alot of fun. It is relativley
low cost and definatetly low maintanence. It also has succeeded
at getting guys that used to race back in the sport, and attracted participation of new drivers too. The fact is that whether you are young at heart or a fiercly competitve young buck, you are among
friends of boat racing in it's basic form. So far, without exception,
everyone that has taken a lap or two in one of these boats agrees that they are faster than they ever would have thought
and very well mannered. I always enjoy watching people suit-up
to drive one of these boats,no matter if they are a seasoned pro-racer or totally new to our sport, it is a thrill for them and it is my
pleasure to offer the opportunity to sample the experience!!!:D :D :D

Danny McManus
10-28-2004, 12:31 AM
We need to get this new class going in other regions of the
U.S.A. and other countries. The participation in my part of the
world is GREAT but we know it will take enthusiasts in other
areas for Super-Sport to continue to make progress .
I'll be happy to help with any requests for info that I can answer
to keep up the enthusiasm we have recieved on this program,
be it origins of concept, current equiptment availability, or local
event involvement. There are some championship caliber rigs
for sale from drivers who have caught the "fever" of outboard racing and are arrangeing to step-up to upper classes in O.P.C.
There are also numerous new and used boats available today
that can find a happy home as dual-purpose Super-Sport boats
and weekend lake and river Hot-Rods, lots of ways to get in on
the fun and be an important part of todays boat racing activities!
Thanks...

gdfatha
10-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Danny McManus
U.S.A. and other countries. The participation in my part of the
world is GREAT but we know it will take enthusiasts in other
areas for Super-Sport to continue to make progress .
I'll be happy to help with any requests for info that I can answer
to keep up the enthusiasm we have recieved on this program,
be it origins of concept, current equiptment availability, or local
event involvement. There are some championship caliber rigs
for sale from drivers who have caught the "fever" of outboard racing and are arrangeing to step-up to upper classes in O.P.C.
There are also numerous new and used boats available today
that can find a happy home as dual-purpose Super-Sport boats
and weekend lake and river Hot-Rods, lots of ways to get in on
the fun and be an important part of todays boat racing activities!
Thanks... ========================================
Danny,

Great post.
May I suggest you print it out and make some handouts/flyers for the races. I also feel one SS on display with a driver/crew member that can truely communicate with the public and potential owners/drivers/sponsors be on site with the boat.

Rinker always did that at Cypress Gardens. The display boat wasn't even rigged.

Take care

Hope to meet you at Lake Alfred...

marc

1BadAction
11-01-2004, 12:00 PM
In case anybody is rigging their boats or looking for a hull to use in super sport, you can look at the rules here http://www.apba-racing.com/Categories/OPC/Rules/tech_ssport.html

Capt.Insane-o
11-12-2004, 05:07 PM
U.S.A.

Man, we have two Champ races here in Michigan now, and I can think of at least a dozen other excellent places to hold an event. It would be really cool to see if this class could be brought to us northern'ers. Even after putting the capsule and cage in my hst I still need to find a place for a couple hundred pounds of lead. A 200 xs class would be really cool.......................

Danny McManus
11-15-2004, 11:48 PM
thanks Captain! I've always thought a well set-up HST
would do very well in Super-Sport, we just need you and some
of your neighbors up there to jump in on the Fun!!!
You'll be suprised at how well the boats handle with the
box-stock direct injected engines.... would you like me to send
you one of our promo tapes?? just give me your mailing address
and I'll "make it so, Captain" :) :)

Capt.Insane-o
11-22-2004, 04:12 PM
You have a p.m. sir!:cool:

OceanmarineB
11-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Danny,
I could have a boat ready to run in this class next season, i leave in N.Y. anybody else from the north east in this class? maybe we can get an event up here somewhere...

Hot Shot Merc
11-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I would love to get into this SS stuff.After watching that video that Greg posted and loveing racing as much as I do, I think as soon as my new lake racer boat is done I'll start saving for a SS package.I would love a new Quarter Shot from Jack for this.I would have to be looking at the 06" season most likely unlesss work picks up with the new phone book add's I ran this year.I want to run all the FBI drags tha Ron Baker is having next summer so a lot of my money will go to those weekends but this SS stuff has realy caught my attention in a big way.Danny, can you post a schedule of the 05 season races and how many boats are there currentley running in Super Sport?Thanx Danny .....See Ya at Eustis next year..Rob:)

1BadAction
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
TTT for the newbies. :D

Slider
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow, I didn't realize Greg posted that video in November. I though he just posted it last week. Don't I feel stupid.

Slider
04-29-2005, 07:26 AM
I met with Danny and Mike Fjeld a couple of weeks ago when I was entertaining the thought of joining this class. It was a very informative meeting and an eye-opener to the sport. I went to Danny's place to look at the old orange boat in the video and got more than I bargained for. What a wealth of information these two have. Then, put them in the same room, and watch out:) Anyway, I decided that I didn't have the time to put the orange boat back together. But, I did walk away with a handfull of pictures and a letter that Danny gave me. I dont' have a color scanner at the moment, but I do have a letter that Danny gave me. I think this is the original letter that he refered to at the start of this thread. I have read it several times now and still pick it up every now and then and read it. I want to share this letter with everyone.

FrenchPhil
05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Great thread :cool: :cool: :cool:

As far as getting SS in other countries, Europe is using mostly 200hp Merc XS Optis & the Yammie 200 VMax HPDI is popular in Scandinavia. Even with the aborted Etec V6 attempt in Rouen, it would hard to establish a 150HP class.
Besides the UIM has not homologated a 150 besides the Honda which is a heavy beast. Then again nothing is impossible :D

thaw ripper
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
U.S.A.
Man, we have two Champ races here in Michigan now, and I can think of at least a dozen other excellent places to hold an event. It would be really cool to see if this class could be brought to us northern'ers. Even after putting the capsule and cage in my hst I still need to find a place for a couple hundred pounds of lead. A 200 xs class would be really cool....................... Capt. You going to Rumble?

Danny McManus
01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
I went and brought this back TTT to help me direct the numerous recent inquiries about Super-Sport class with regard to it's origin, enjoy!:D

Instigator
02-01-2007, 06:37 AM
I went and brought this back TTT to help me direct the numerous recent inquiries about Super-Sport class with regard to it's origin, enjoy!:D
Great talking to you about this class the other day.

As I said, I think this is maybe "THE" class to help bring new blood into the sport we all know and love.
I will attend a couple of local races this year and see what things look like.

I am wondering though......if you would not stir up more interest if this thread was on the "general" page??
I know I personally never (hardly) check this page and think many feel same.

Guys that check board daily but never post.... (like we talked about) usually check the general and tech board only.

I really think (as we also discussed) all you need to do is get some potential racers into a SS boat and into a turn with a 1/2 dozen other boats to sell them.
A buck 10 or 20 in a straight line (for 10 seconds) by yourself is big fun but.....a 20H on a 115lb 3 point on an oval course w/a full field is ORGASMIC and I can't even imagine doing that in a SS boat :cool: :D ;)

Thanks for continuing to give of yourself to a sport that desperately needs many more like you.

Danny McManus
02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks Instigator. This post has gotten pretty long and time consumeing to read.I think it would fall off the screen fast on the general discussion section.
I noted the number of views when I brought it TTT, it was at 2530 and now
at 2660, so about 100 or so of the "silent majority" have checked it out:D :D
Jack Barsh at Full Throttle Powerboats is currently rigging a T-3 Quartershot
for Robert "Chip" Wavero to run in SS and I think it is an exciting project
that will show how versatile a new era SS boat can be...I'm sure you'll
see pics soon and it's gonna be cool!

Instigator
02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Thanks Instigator. Jack Barsh at Full Throttle Powerboats is currently rigging a T-3 Quartershot
for Robert "Chip" Wavero to run in SS and I think it is an exciting project
that will show how versatile a new era SS boat can be...I'm sure you'll
see pics soon and it's gonna be cool!
Another boat for the field.
You gotta love that :cool:

1BadAction
02-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Danny, I have some questions about cages ( :eek: :D ) is there any place thats specs them or?

Danny McManus
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
give me a call 1Bad...
352-343-0517 eves.
352-357-2411 days.

Danny McManus
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
....New info.... as a result of the OPC commission meeting's vote at the
APBA National Convention, the rules for Super-Sport have been frozen
until 2009, at which time the rules will be frozen until 2011 in keeping with
the law of perpetuity...:D :D

1BadAction
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
good news danny! http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

RNM018
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok , Give it up , what's the deal with the cages. I saw Jim post a coment about a 20' action coming to SS . Just curious , I've still got the gt20 and wouldn't mind having a 150 green motor on it .Rich Martin 018:rolleyes:

Danny McManus
02-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Rich, your GT20 would do great in Super-Sport...the rollcage deal is
cool, when you design it, just remember it is to protect you from
contact with other boats so let creative craftmanship be your guide.
I've seen rollcages (defined as "reinforced structures") protect drivers
from some severe contacts...Xcel Marine in Merritt Island,Fla. builds very
good ones with prices starting at $650.00 just ask for Jeff, phone# 321-449
0387... See ya at the races!:D

Danny McManus
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
.... because we have another new driver who wanted to find this old story, thanks

and a sincere welcome to Bill Hardaway into OPC Super-Sport !!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danny McManus
07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
BTW ... Thank You to Dave Bush Racing for your sponsorship of this forum:cheers: