PDA

View Full Version : OPC near NY or eastern seaboard at all??

wing nut
08-30-2004, 11:51 PM
hey guys..

i got to thinking and i am thinking about racing sst60 boats.. BUT then i got to reasearching to find that almost all the races are in CA, TX, and AZ.. im in NY so thats like a 3-4day drive each way to get to those races. if i can find races closer to me id be VERY interested in racing sst60 boats. i just cant afford to travel THAT far (across the country)..

if theres nothing close enough i guess il just stick to drag racing.. lol (thats a whole other project)

thanks
scott

Grin&Barrett
08-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Scott,

If you want to race SST60 check out www.aprsuperleague.com .
They run SST120 & SST60 only and most of the races are in eastern to southestern states. SST60 doesn't run at all on the west coast. TCPBA runs them in their club races in Minn & WI. Also Canada has a circuit that runs SST60.
Our team Kratochwill raceing should be back next year in SST60 also. If you have any questions email me mrbarrett@verizon.net

Matthew Barrett

Gordie Miller
08-31-2004, 05:23 PM
What research gave you CA and AZ and TX? Almost every APR race includes the 60 class and most of their races are in the eastern and southeastern US. Love to have a new racer join us. Let us know if we can help.

wing nut
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
when i looked on the OPC site i looked at the race locations and most were in those states.. but now that there closer to me IM INTERESTED AGAIN!!!:)

ok the motors arent stock rite?? i know where there is an sst60 boat with a VERY mod. 3cyl OMC with an sst60 gearcase. can that be ran in the sst60 class??

what states are "eastern and southern? how far south are we talkin
about??

if i do decide to go though with this im going to try to go around the neighborhood stores and get sponcership (doubt it but its worth a shot:) )

id much rather run sst60 boats then drag race..

thanks,
scott

10.5' Tunnel
08-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Scott how bout formula v? Not fast enough for ya;)

Grin&Barrett
08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Scott,

Here is a copy of APR Superleague's 2004 schedule.

April 24-25
Chattahoochee, FL

June 18-19
Peoria, Illinois

July 3- 4
Marietta, OH

July 17-18
Pickwick Landing, TN

AUGUST 7-8
Pittsburg, PA.

AUGUST 28-29
Aurora, IN

SEPTEMBER 18-19
Buckeye Lake, OH

Here is TCPBA Schedule.

June 13 Champlin MN (TCPBA)
June 27 Little Falls MN (TCPBA)
July 24-25 Hoyt Lakes MN (TCPBA)
July 31 Aug 1 Crosby MN (TCPBA)
Sept 3-6 Kankakee, IL (NATIONALS)
Sept 18-19 Moose Lake, MN (TCPBA)

wing nut
08-31-2004, 08:58 PM
thats not TOO bad.. most drives will be around 6-13hrs i think..

garret i sent you an email. hopefully i can race next season (if all goes well)

scott

Grin&Barrett
08-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by wing nut

ok the motors arent stock rite?? i know where there is an sst60 boat with a VERY mod. 3cyl OMC with an sst60 gearcase. can that be ran in the sst60 class??

thanks,
scott

SST 60
Using a 14 foot tunnel boat and OMC's 56 cubic inch three cylinder engine. This engine uses the production full shift gearcase with a nose cone. This powerful little package with racing propellors will run speeds in competition of 80+ mph.
Minimum Weight 800 lbs.

Call APBA HQ (586) 773-9700 and request a rule book for technical rules. I would make sure that any engine that has been modified be looked at by someone familier with the tech rules before buying it. You can also contact Mike Wienandt the OPC Chairmanapbaopc1@charter.net

APBA
17640 Nine Mile Road
Eastpointe, Mi 48021

Hebert519
08-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Not to step on anyone but the sst 60 class is dying, get a 45 boat, ton more races and much more competitive. Just my "2"

wing nut
08-31-2004, 10:26 PM
these are the opinions im looking for also.. how is it dying? and whats in the sst45 class? how fast?

thanks,
scott

Gordie Miller
08-31-2004, 10:34 PM
has been decling for the past few years, the 45 class has had sustained numbers going on 20 years now. The 45 class runs an engine based on the 44.9 ci 60 hp 2 cylinder OMC motor. It runs about 70-75 MPH in race conditions. Go to the Pro Tunnel Tour web page for details.

wing nut
08-31-2004, 10:42 PM
if i want to get into this, i like the idea of sst60, but i can do sst45 if sst60 is going to be gone in a few yrs. what would be your sugestions?

scott

Gordie Miller
08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
if your a gentleman racer then 60 is probably the place for you. If you're a die hard competitor and want to race against others like you, then 45 is probably the better choice. Either one will require some travel and expense, expect to spend between 500.00 and 1000.00 per event including entry fees, hotels, gas, and other various expenses. Either class will cost about 4 to 8 thousand dollars to get into depending on what quality of equipment you choose to start with. You can cobble together some old junk and do it for less but it will be clearly evident in your success(or lack of)on the racecourse. Boat racing is NOT for the faint of heart or pocketbook. Like any motor spoort, it costs $, if your not prepared to spend the $..........................you know the rest.

wing nut
08-31-2004, 11:52 PM
i see what you mean. with the $$$ well i need to start by picking which one id like to race in, then find a boat (i have a deal on an sst60 boat if its legal) then try to get my job(s) to sponcer me:)

im still interested. in racing, i dont have to make EVERY SINGLE race though do i.. i mean if i miss one or 2 is that ok?

with being competitive.. i dont think thats a problem with me:) esp. when it comes to boats! football no, boats YES:)

scott

Grin&Barrett
09-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Scott,

Both classes have there place and people have their own reasons for running them. In APR running SST60/Formula3
you will run against 10-15 boats at each race as most of the
class runs that series and I don't see it going away any time soon. 2 years ago APR had 18-20 boats in the class at every race.
With 2 driver that were injured or ill for the last season returning next year there will be at least 2 more boats on the water. In SST45 you have more boats in the class as a whole but you'll have to travel more to get to the races. Look at the list of APBA High points for each class, click on the points for a list of the races each racer has run and you'll see which schedule fits your needs best. Whatever class you run is fine, we can always use new blood in the sport. In either class you choose do you're home work and keep asking questions, most of us will be more than happy to help you out in any way we can.

Matt

Here's the link to see the different classes available in OPC
click on the total points to see locations of each classes races for the year.

http://www.apba-racing.com/Sanctions.php?HighPoints=

wing nut
09-01-2004, 02:39 PM
once i get a reply from MIKE W about the engine being up to spec on the boat im looking at ill get some $$ together for that boat, or if its not legal ill try to find something else. ill probably end up running sst60 since its less traveling. worst case if i dont like it i can sell the boat and motor and try sst45:)

how much on avg. is the entree fees for sst60 and sst45 classes?

thanks for all the help guys!!

scott

Grin&Barrett
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by wing nut
once i get a reply from MIKE W about the engine being up to spec on the boat im looking at ill get some $$ together for that boat, or if its not legal ill try to find something else. ill probably end up running sst60 since its less traveling. worst case if i dont like it i can sell the boat and motor and try sst45:)

how much on avg. is the entree fees for sst60 and sst45 classes?

thanks for all the help guys!!

scott

Scott,

Mike will be at OPC nationals until next week so if he doesn't get back to you right away keep trying. Entry fee's vary from club to club, APR 2004 fees are $95 for APR members and $145 for non members. Here is a list of payouts for a couple of their races. I'm not sure what the membership fee is for APR. APBA Racing membership is $175 annually. If the powerhead on the boat your looking at isn't legal, I'm sure we could find you a good one somewhere pretty easy.

AURORA
FORMULA THREE PRIZE MONEY
1……….$ 900.00
2………. 600.00
3………. 400.00
4………. 300.00
5………. 200.00
6………. 100.00
7………. 75.00
8………. 75.00
9….……. 75.00
10……… 75.00

PITTSBURGH
FORMULA THREE
PRIZE MONEY
1………. $1,000.00
2………. 700.00
3………. 600.00
4………. 500.00
5………. 400.00
6………. 300.00
7………. 200.00
8………. 150.00
9………. 100.00
10……… 100.00

wing nut
09-01-2004, 08:14 PM
it looks like you get almost all your entree fee money back if you place in the top ten. that sounds pretty cool:)

the problem im seeing rite now would be $$$$ how much on AVG. does a racer spend per yr (not including the cost of the boat or safety gear) but like broken parts, travel, hotels, etc. etc. i want to plug some #'s into the calc. and see what i come up with:)

scott

Gordie Miller
09-01-2004, 08:36 PM
a reasonable figure would be $1000.00 per event total avg. cost excluding extraordinary expenditures like broken boats and motors. Any who tells you less is fooling not only you but themselves. 150.00 entry fee + 200.00 hotels + 100.00 meals +200.00(minimum in gasoline for tow vehicle) + 75.00 gas and oil for boat(VP race fuel as mandated by APR @ $4.00 per gallon + 1 gallon of oil at $20.00 gallon) + 50.00 snack money +200.00 incidentals(trust me as a 25 year racer they always come up). All this totals $975.00, if you drive a Yugo you may do better. Like I said before, boat racing is not for the faint of heart or wallet. Now, these expenses can be offset through prize $ and local sponsorships at some events, however you CANNOT count on any of that. It must be considered gravy money if you get it.

wing nut
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
i see what your saying gordie, im not faint of heart.. i just need to work on the money situation:) i would love to race i just need to figure out if i can afford it, and if i can acutally make 5 or so races at least.:)

at this point its still up in the air but im still motivated

scott

Gordie Miller
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I can't encourage you strongly enough to join us, it is a great sport and a great bunch of people. I just want you to see it for what it really is, too many people expect to race on 50.00 a week and it just is not so no matter what anybody tells you. I laid it out, you add it up. If you spend a fair amount of money and bust your ass you will do well, not only in racing but in life. Good luck and call if you need any help.

wing nut
09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
i just started college today, im trying out a mech. engineering major. if i can work enough this winter and get my boat done (thats first priority) and have some $$ to save up for a sst60 boat i will. either next season or maybe worst case the one after i can race:) but i WANT TO race. i just need to work my ass off and get some $$$$ to start it up:)

scott

Grin&Barrett
09-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Scott,

Gordie has the figures right on average for a weekend of raceing.
You also need to figure at least one real good friend willing to sacrifice his or her summer for a crew. You are required to have a radio system so you can communicate with someone on shore for APR events also. If you win the series title your entry fees and hotels are paid for the following year along with a prize check at the end of the year.

Matt.

Raceboat
09-03-2004, 05:48 PM
If you haven't been to any of the APR events, you might want to come and check one out... The last one is in a couple of weeks (Sept 18-19) in Buckeye Lake. Show up early on Saturday morning and volunteer to help - there's always a team or two that could use an extra set of arms and legs for the weekend - especially on the starting dock.

You would learn a lot in a hurry.

As far as buying a boat, there are quite a few available. Some are more competitive than others. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more information...

We've been at every APR race since 2001 - and we're still having a great time. We would love to see you out there to race with!

p.s. - our team website is HERE (http://orangeboat.com)

Danny McManus
09-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Howdy Scott,
Listen to these guys, as they are givin' it to you straight...
Keep up your positive attitude and you'll be tops.
BTW Rainer, thanks for all you do, I left you a request on Raceboat world, glad to see your post,I'm on here now just
waiting for hurricane Francis to hit Fla. Scott keep your grades up and have fun in your boat racing interests.
sincerly,
Danny:)

critchfield mike
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Scott run the APR next season. My self and 4 or 5 others are joining the league next season all from CANADA. We will also have two maby more races in canada next season. Not too far from you 1 hr north of the border. I have heard such great things about the APR. I have been talking to Don W & Brian S who allready race in the league now . Brian travels from Toronto Canada to every race. I am hopefuly going to, too If all go's well. After winning my first race up here in canada I am so stooked to line up at the dock with the best competition in the world. If you are going to go threw with this let me know & maby we can hook up and do the dunk test together >

Mike H Canadian National sst 60 champ (Rookie Season)

critchfield mike
10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
APR SUPERLEAGUE

Jeff_G
10-19-2004, 09:45 AM
CM is that Blakes old boat?

THere are other events other than APR. The Nationals in Kankakee, Ill. The NORA races in the Carolinas and FORA races 60 in the Florida area. Both the Nationals, and NORA pay tow money to their events. APR also has tow and or contract money depending on how many events etc. NORA and APR both pay at the conclusion of the event.

Even though the numbers may be slightly down this year at APR events the class is still holding strong. Neither the 45's or 60's have new motors but there are some good motors to be found.

Besides since Gordie came from the 45's he pushes them harder! Your size will also make a big difference in which class.

Check the APR's web site www.aprsuperleague.com

critchfield mike
11-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Yes Jeff it is Blakes old boat. very nice rig it flies real nice!
I can't wait for next season.
Here's a pick of my critch

Pitboss
12-20-2004, 02:41 PM
The 2005 race schedules are now posted for OPC . Champboat series covers F-1, F-2(sst120), sst45's is on www.champboatracing.com the other series is www.APRsuperleague.com which covers SST120 and F-3(sst60).

One BIG PROBLEM at least for sst120 teams is there are many dates where each organization has a race scheduled on same weekend, thus its going to be which organization will you race in that weekend?!!!

Guess there cant be any coordination between the 2 groups. That might make it too easy!! It appears the ProTunnelTour has been folded into the Champboat group, and 45's will run there most all races.

Pitboss